Sign in to follow this  
dads706

Need a new renter... let the sucking up begin

I knew this day would eventually come. BIL called today and said he was giving up all his cash rent ground and only going to farm what he owns. That means I have 320 acres of mine and 220 acres of family that will be up for rent. All of it 200+ corn ground. (some of mine tickled 300 bpa last year according to the yield monitor) BIL fertilizes and aims weed control at 200+ bpa. (fyi, he has 1200 acres of cash rent within a 3 mile circle of where I sit, so there is going to be a big chunk available in a small area.)

So now I have to deal with all my 'good friends' and 'family friends' etc. coming out of the woodwork. Some of which won't wave if you pass them on the road. But suddenly they are your best friend or have known your family for generations, blah blah.  

I plan on a sit down meeting with all. Call me a hard ass, but we go by my rules. I'm not hard to get along with, but in this situation I'm in the drivers seat in a very competitive market. 

Gimme some advice here.!! Thanks in advance.   My BIL is a helluva a farmer and who has farmed some of this ground since 1970. 

I'm expecting the first two guys to call already tomorrow, and I have to find a politically correct way to to explain that H*** has not frozen over yet.  ( but the last thing I am is PC so I just may point it out to then in the exact same way) Yes, don't burn bridges, but either of these guys I would let it grow up to button weeds first.   Heck, if there was any money in it, I'd seed it all down and raise cows myself (which is my first love). But then I'd end up paying a divorce lawyer for my second love. I can always get some cows, but she has been beside me for going on 50 years, so she wouldn't be as easy to replace. *grin*

There is more common sense on this forum than at the bank or coffee shop.

Help me guys.

Just a thought from my prospective. What does your economic situation allow? As a new guy starting out, if I ever plan on making a living by farming I would need to catch a break on rent someplace. Are there any small/new/young farmer's in the area that you could give a kickstart? Most small-ish guys will have the time and or desire to do the best with the land that they can. 

Just my rambling......

One thing going in you have the history of the ground so you know what kind of yields to expect and any improvements made to the property. Have you reached out to any farmers that have a good reputation that might me interested in farming your ground? Have the farmers submit a typed proposal/offer after you give them in typing what your requirements are in order for them to farm your ground. That way they cant come back and say you said so and so and we agreed upon it.

Bobs856, I definitely like the written proposal idea. 

As an aside question, is there a deadline for signing up for the gov. programs? I'm sure there must be some leeway for land that is rented at the last minute.

Oldest son said put it into CRP at $300 per and sit back.  Current cash rent and CRP are the same, but CRP is saying they may not be signing up any new ground.

I would say give a younger family guy a chance. All renters now if want to stay in business farm well so it is just about who you want. Your Bil should know who in the area needs a little more land to help out.

53 minutes ago, dads706 said:

Bobs856, I definitely like the written proposal idea. 

As an aside question, is there a deadline for signing up for the gov. programs? I'm sure there must be some leeway for land that is rented at the last minute.

Oldest son said put it into CRP at $300 per and sit back.  Current cash rent and CRP are the same, but CRP is saying they may not be signing up any new ground.

CRP is no walk in the park. I would rent it out for crops for less before I would go tge CRP route. I have been pulling all mine out of CRP as contract let me because of the bull crap involved in CRP 

25 minutes ago, dale560 said:

I would say give a younger family guy a chance. All renters now if want to stay in business farm well so it is just about who you want. Your Bil should know who in the area needs a little more land to help out.

That's the best advice given 

Ask your brother in law he should know 

Some states have tax breaks for helping young farmers 

Dads706- I guess it depends on what you want to do. My dad had a few hundred acres that he was looking to rent after he quit grain farming. There were people beating down the door to get at it. He chose a young man just starting out that needed a break. He could have made more money but dad likes to help people. That was probably 20 years ago. That young man has become one of the bigger, more successful farmers in our area. He voluntarily raised his own rent when he got established to match what he was paying elsewhere and treats my dad and the land well. They have a contract, of course, and when the rent is due,  he is there with the check. 

On the other hand, dad was in the position to do that. I don't know your situation. Always remember that it is a business and treat it like that. If that causes hard feelings in the family than that is too bad. You are not the one being unreasonable and can lay your head down at night with a clear conscience. 

First thing I would say is you need someone that will be on the ground when it is fit. Not planting it just because it is next on a list.

Addendum: Yes, I want to get a reasonable return as anyone would. But I also don't need top dollar.   I've subsidized my BIL when he didn't need it (it's a family thing) so the only difference with a young guy is I would voluntarily be taking less than market. I would be comfortable with that if that is the best route.

This is all happening suddenly and like I told my wife, we have until spring. Slow down, think, then decide.

Plus since I have till spring it gives me a chance to work on the cow angle.   (just dreaming)

Just another thought. A young person might be more willing to take advise from someone who has farmed the land before. Good way to stay involved. A more established farmer has a plan for the land and act on that regardless of what you think.

22 minutes ago, Jaa600 said:

Just another thought. A young person might be more willing to take advise from someone who has farmed the land before. Good way to stay involved. A more established farmer has a plan for the land and act on that regardless of what you think.

And maybe your bil would be able to advise a youngster helpful tips for success

When a friend of mine retired from farming he went around to all his landlords and gave them a list of 5 farmers that he felt would respect their land and treat it like he had.

As a farmer myself if I had [ A really good renter] that was giving it up because of cash rent then I would work something out on shares. Everyone  wants these high dollar cash rents but in this farm economy there just not feasible. Just my 2 cents worth.

The cash rent $$ is not the reason he his giving up the land.  He is wanting to slow down etc, but still farm his owned ground. 

Shelby

Got a meeting this weekend with a young guy just getting started who farms with his dad.

1 hour ago, dads706 said:

Got a meeting this weekend with a young guy just getting started who farms with his dad.

Sounds like a perfect opportunity. Like I said most people farming now need to raise a crop so fertility shouldn't be an issue. If it were me I. Would just ask for beginning soil tests and yearly and just talk to them regularly about any issues you might have..

8 hours ago, dads706 said:

Shelby

Ok your down in my old stomping grounds. If you were farther sw I was going to recommend a renter.

19 hours ago, dads706 said:

Shelby

hmmmm shelby is where my future father in law farms, in Northeast nebraska its really hard finding ground i have 2 quarters for the last two years along with 25 cows. most of the ground around me is rented to BTOs a lot of greed around hard for  a young guy to get going.

13 minutes ago, IH1066 BlackStripe said:

hmmmm shelby is where my future father in law farms, in Northeast nebraska its really hard finding ground i have 2 quarters for the last two years along with 25 cows. most of the ground around me is rented to BTOs a lot of greed around hard for  a young guy to get going.

Sounds like just about everywhere. Im young and in the 5 years I've been farming on my own I have gotten up to 120 acres. Mostly the hills and 3-7 acre patches no one wants to deal with. Btos are a pain but I think given the option we would all like 1000-1200 acres so we could farm for a living and try to support a family. Reality that to get there takes decades of relationship building with neighbors and landowners. You can't just decide to pick up more land. Someone else needs to decide to give up land first

I'm going to say go with a younger guy. That way you won't be going through this again in 5-8 years when the bto retires.

IM YOUNG! but I don't think my combine would make it that far. I know this much, as a young farmer I have been looking for a place to run cattle to expand my herd. That is almost impossible to do around here. IF I ever found a place I would take care of it like it was my own and leave it in better shape than it was when I got there. And I think that is essentially what you are after. So I guess I am with everyone else. Give that young guy and his dad a shot and please let us know how it went. Keep in mind if he wants it he will be nervous as heck so don't try to stare through him.