Sign in to follow this  
waterloo

Ud 18 spark plug

I use Autolite 3077 projected nose for my TD35 which should be the same for all gasoline start diesels.

I cannot find the Autolite 3077 projected nose plugs available anymore. A seller on Ebay does have Champion W89D/589 plugs for sale. They are projected nose, in theĀ  picture look identical to the 3077. I ordered my first set last evening but have not received them yet or tried them to offer more comment. I just acquired my W9. It has the high compression over-bore pistons in it and has been converted to 12 volt. I am investigating these plugs because the plugs without the projection are shrouded in the plug bore in the head, in my estimation inhibiting the lighting of the mixture. My son and I were impressed when we changed the plug gap wider. The tractor fluttered at idle but smoothed out when we opened the gap. We are going to get it running like this (right now we are addressing head problems), put it on the M&W dyno and see what it has. We will then add an MSD6 multiple spark ignition system, run it again and see what we get. We have found great improvement on other equipment when putting an MSD on them but never tried a dyno run to prove changes or not. We find they make for better starting and smoother running. I have a Massey Ferguson 1100 tractor I adapted a GMC 478 V-6 gas motor into in place of the original straight 6 motor. The original Waukeshaw had around 97 horse. The GMC has over 200 so it was quite a boost! It wanted to foul plugs after I enriched the fuel to where I liked it. Installing the MSD6 stopped the plug fouling and smoothed the idle. FYI MSD does not have units that work on less than 12 volt but Summit Racing does, theirs can be put on 6 volt systems. MSD stands for "multiple spark discharge", putting 5 quick firings of the plug for each power stroke until 3000 RPM is reached when it reverts to one spark. We use it on our street/strip motors also. but there use the MSD6al which has the capability to have inserts placed in it to limit top RPM. Not needed on the W9!!! We owned a 400 for a while, had two I9's and own a T9 dozer. Now with the W9 we look forward to sharing with you guys! Lots of really good people on this site!!

478 V-6 Massey 1100 Plowing (2).jpg

To Tractractor: Not about this spark plug subject, but noticing your name and avatar, if it is a gas tractor, I wanted to tell you I have the military manual for the T9. If anything in it might be of help to you I can send you information. My T9 was a Navy Seabee tractor, apparently during WWII. It has a winch on the back.