674newb

International 674

I have a mid 70's 674 with 6500 hours. Went out to start it the other day and was hard to start finally got it going and water/oil started spraying from the exhaust and engine compartment. Shut it off and checked the oil quick antifreeze mixed in with the oil. Drained oil out and was about a gallon of antifreeze and oil smelling like fuel. Any suggestions, cracked head? Blown head gasket? 

Thanks

20170806_164442.jpg

Likely sleeve o rings. Need a tear down. Can be done in frame. Remove loader and oil pan, pressure up cooling system and look for leakage around sleeve ends. Go from there. 

John

If I remember correctly, when the water pump gasket leaks the coolant could run into the oil pan.

BUT Probably is a sleeve seal o-ring.

Nice looking tractor. Picture looks like a lot of recent work.

Good luck with your project.

I was told there were not sleeve O-rings on this style of tractor as it is gas? Parts guy not knowing what to look for?

14 minutes ago, 674newb said:

I was told there were not sleeve O-rings on this style of tractor as it is gas? Parts guy not knowing what to look for?

The C200 gas engine does not have sleeves. Does sound like a head gasket or cracked head. You will have to pull the head and have it checked, hope it had not frozen at some point.

1 hour ago, TomH said:

The C200 gas engine does not have sleeves. Does sound like a head gasket or cracked head. You will have to pull the head and have it checked, hope it had not frozen at some point.

frozen as in the engine or coolant freezing?
It was running just prior to discovering the issue.

2 hours ago, 674newb said:

Dummy me, I assumed any 674 from the late 70's would be diesel.

The C200 is a fine gas engine and like said, has a parent bore.

Hopefully it is just the head gasket, pull the head and check.

Good luck with your project.