Sign in to follow this  
sdmuleman

TD-14A Upper Trans Shaft Bearing R&R

Can you get the upper trans shaft (spline shaft in IH book) out without pulling the engine? My tractor has had a lot of gear noise since I got it last spring and the other day I happened to try shifting it into high (previously only used 1st & R) only to find it wouldn't go back into low. I had a slim hope it was just a shifter issue but upon pulling the shifter cover I found the hi/low sliding gear flopping around and the spline shaft about 4" aft of where it's supposed to be. 

As best I can figure, the rear spline shaft bearing wore to the point that the balls fell out allowing the entire shaft to shift back. The gears, shaft, driving gear and front bearing seem to be in okay shape from the limited inspection I could do. Problem is how to get a new rear bearing in. From looking at the manual it looks like you have to pull the front cover forward to get the driving gear assembly out before being able to get the spline shaft out, and that requires pulling the engine. Anyone ever tried a different way?

This is around the ranch lightly used crawler - I just use it to push dirt around here and there, nothing too crazy. 

TD-14A TDF-31159.

Been long time-----maybe mid'70s for me.

But seems like I had all shafts out of my TD-14 through the front cover after pulling the entire clutch assembly.  Know I didn't pull engine.

I do definitely remember doing the work standing on my head-------glad I was young and full of energy back then.  I had several parts tractors-----so you always got to do the disassembly twice.

Hopefully someone with a fresher memory can help you.

DD

That's about the conclusion I've come too. Going to be a pain, but possible. Pull the clutch assembly, then pull the front cover forward and maybe out the top hole then I should be able to get to everything. 

I've got 2 parts tractors I can play on and get replacement parts from. Might even have good bearings, though I'll probably try to get new. Clutch brake looks shot on this tractor too, but at least one of the parts rigs is decent so I'll probably grab that one. May go new on that too, have to see. 

Looks like I got lucky and none of the hard parts got torn up running it. Tough old machines. 

Next question - how hard are the bearing to get? I'm hoping their fairly standard size bearings and I can just match dimensions but can anyone confirm this? Assuming they're reasonably cheap I'm thinking I'll do all the trans bearings while I'm in there just to have it done.

I had my TD-18 transmission all apart 20 years ago. Mine was the 182 series. You can get the flywheel out with the later ones without removing the engine. The older models would not let you do it. Can't remember if I had to take the flywheel out or just wanted to have it surfaced. I got a service manual from Jennsales. It told me what to do. Worth the money. Still use now.