Sign in to follow this  
Hydro70

Is the Case engine in this 2394 the same one in the Magnums?

This is a late model Case and so did CaseIH keep this engine and put it into the new Magnums when they were introduced in late 1987 or is there a lot of difference or just a whole different engine.  Never was around a Case tractor they weren't in this area but I can go north 40 miles and theyre use to be a Case dealer between Hodgensville and Elizabethtown and theyre some Case tractors still in that area, that same area is served by CaseIH and John Deere and Kubota. 

1983 Case 2394.jpg

img5NAJMA08.jpg

Case ran the 504 Case made engine. The Magnums went to the Cummins 505 engine. completely different engine.

2 hours ago, MNredfarmer said:

Case ran the 504 Case made engine. The Magnums went to the Cummins 505 engine. completely different engine.

Very true BUT.  The B and C series Cummins engines were the result of a joint venture between CIH and Cummins.  As I understand it, Cummins did not have engine of this size prior to this, so it seems possible that there are design elements from the 504 that made it into the 505.  Also, I'm not way sure that Cummins even assembled the engines that went into the CIH tractors under the name of CDC, Consolidated Diesel Corporation, although I would think the parts all came from the same source.

Somewhere I read the B series started in '83 between Case & Cummins.  Maybe I was dreaming about that info

There are a scarce handful of 32/3594 experimental units out there that have 8.3L CDC Cummins engines in them, but, they're quite different from the ones in a 7100 series Magnum.  At one time, there was one around Grand Island, NE.

The 18/2096 tractors came out with the 5.9L B series engines several months before the Case/IH merger. Late 1983/early 1984 time frame. There are several Holstein(black and white) 18/2096 tractors around the country.

Cummins couldn't justify building the B and C series engines on their own. Neither could Case afford an engine. It was when Jerry Green (President of Case) backed up by Jim Ketelsen's Tenneco money that a deal on a joint venture called Consolidated Engines was made. Case was to be the primary user of these engines but other companies were welcome purchasers of these engines also. That is how Cummins got the volume up to a level where it was profitable to make them. In the end many companies used or are still using these engines.

The engine in the 2394 photo is the old Case 505 engine.

You guys can sure prove me wrong, but I believe the first use of the 8.3L "C" series CDC engine in a production Case/IH/Steiger application was in the Steiger Puma that was introduced in the late summer/early fall of 1985, shortly before Steiger went into bankruptcy and before CaseIH/Tenneco purchased Steiger. That was nearly 2 years before the Magnum tractor was introduced.

Also, my understanding was that Cummins' original idea with the CDC "B" and "C" series engines was a V-8 configuration for automotive installations. Case nixed the idea as they had just seen how all the tractor companies had disastrous results with V-8s in tractors throughout the 1970s.

White tractors had 8.3 Cummins engines in the mid 80's and I believe some Uni Systems did too. 

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/5/5/552-white-185-engine.html

http://www.pulloff.com/phorum/read.php?2,34707,34707#msg-34707

Since I haven't been around them much at all, which Cummins engines were in the Steiger tractors in the late70's/early80's?

Travis

6 hours ago, Sparky said:

Since I haven't been around them much at all, which Cummins engines were in the Steiger tractors in the late70's/early80's?

Travis

They ran the 855 and the 903.

8 hours ago, SDman said:

Also, my understanding was that Cummins' original idea with the CDC "B" and "C" series engines was a V-8 configuration for automotive installations. Case nixed the idea as they had just seen how all the tractor companies had disastrous results with V-8s in tractors throughout the 1970s.

That would make sense as prior to the B and C series engines the smallest engines that Cummins offered were a 378 inch (I think) V-6, 504 V-8, and 555 V-8.  

Don't forget the KTA-1150 Cummins in the Tiger series Steigers. Also, some of the last green Cougars used an L10 Cummins.

The next BIG IH 4wd tractor (bigger than the Super 70's) coming out in 1985-86, was slated to have an L-10 Cummins under the hood.

11 hours ago, SDman said:

You guys can sure prove me wrong, but I believe the first use of the 8.3L "C" series CDC engine in a production Case/IH/Steiger application was in the Steiger Puma that was introduced in the late summer/early fall of 1985, shortly before Steiger went into bankruptcy and before CaseIH/Tenneco purchased Steiger. That was nearly 2 years before the Magnum tractor was introduced.

The 756 Versatile was also introduced in the fall of 1985 and it had the 8.3 L CDC engines. I saw one at the IPM in St Thomas that fall and was told it was a Cummins engine.  

52 minutes ago, Bermuda_Ken said:

The next BIG IH 4wd tractor (bigger than the Super 70's) coming out in 1985-86, was slated to have an L-10 Cummins under the hood.

In Bud Youle's interview this year at RPR he stated that the next step was the 7688 and 7888 rated at 300 HP. He said they would use L10 Cummins engines and the bell housing on the 50 series tractors was designed to match up with the L10 rear plate. His interview is on You Tube. Just type in "Bud Youle interview 2017 at RPR" and it should come up.

6 hours ago, Bermuda_Ken said:

Was it a 7488 on steroids?  Can't leave us all hanging like that.

If you Google Consolidated Diesel Corporation of Whitakers, North Carolina it will give you the straight scoop on the CDC Engines.  .  The Cummins we knew was a pressure time injection engine with camshaft operated fuel injectors.  The CDC engine was more conventional with a high pressure inline distributor injection pump with pressure opened injection nozzles.  That made it a totally different style engine right from the get go.  Case and Cummins went 50 -50 ownership in 1980, before IH came into the picture and it continued with some changes until Fiat sold all ownership to Cummins in 2008.  

4 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Good lookin Case whatever engine. Typical park for a Case, Douglas fir or Pine ya think?

Lol