kenmcal

TD6 head gasket

I pulled the stock transfer pump off because the seal was bad I mean really really bad  it would fill the injector pump case with diesel in about 10 minutes or so. I know this little klacker is not putting out that kind pressure it my be

do you mean the little piggy pump........  there is a return valve seal that goes sticks in high pressure so not all goes back to tank

Yes the pump I pulled off is the little gear pump that drives of of the injector pump. The seal was out and fulling the IP housing with diesel. So the electric fuel pump is now supplying the IP with fuel it use to run at a higher RPM. It has slowly been losing RPMs I am starting to think some rust or something may have the inlet of the plunger partially plugged it does have new fuel filters I changed them when the problem first started. I think I am going to go back into the IP and see if I can find a blockage somewhere. Well atleast I am learning this little monster inside and out.

I used to work UT and ID and found a guy in Inkom who was a wizard on TD-6s, I would stop and shoot the breeze with this guy, lives near the Weigh Station, just down over the bank, maybe ha can help, I'll try to dig up a pic....

jim

Inkom, ID TD9 sm.JPG

JRWite

I know that place he still has a couple of old Internationals sitting around. If I remember right one is just a crawler and the other one has a loader on it they looked to be TD9s. I will stop in and talk to him. 

Thanks

Ken

Thanks Ken, WOW!   Good to connect with someone way out there, I think you're right he has  a 9, he said he had property near-by was about to build a road, also if you go south a bit to exit 3 there is a International built in the 30's , I talked to the old guy and he grew up on that cat and had another engine for it and was gonna restore it but you know how that goes, its been a few years, you can see it when passing by that  area I think its call  Woodruff -  something or rather,  I prowled  that country for dozers but not many there, but there is a guy in Ogden who is  Wizard, his name is Denny.

jim

Ken,

Any progress?

Regards,

Chris

Just some thought you probably already know, under no circumstances would i use starter fluid with that motor, its a loose fit or "push fit" sleeve and starter fluid will blow the sleeve all to heck with cracks. As they warm up they expand and seat better in the bore. Also with those heads, let it warm up and cool down good before shutting down or going to work or you risk cracking the head. Very fuel efficient and great motors but $$$$ to work on, just built one last year.