Mike56073

DT436 cylinder head retorque

Does anybody retorque head gaskets anymore?  I'm working on a DT436, I went to pick up the gasket kit last week from the dealer, and when I asked a mechanic about retorqing he looked at me like I was totally crazy....    The head gasket is graphite.

I asked my engine builder and he said not need on my pulling tractor.  I not sure about stock tractor.  

I always get head on and torqued to final step, then get thermostat housing on and fill block with water, plug up block heater and after it reaches full temperature that block heater is capable of. I then re-torque to final step, amazing how much the fasteners will turn. On most engines to do a re-torque after running up to operating temperature takes a lot of extra labor, to remove accessories an etc...

EVERY engine we do gets retorqued. What can it hurt except flat rate time I am not up to the modern torque to yield fastener equipped engines yet.

IH called for retorque.

The 1066's came in for a checkup after a few hours. The head was torqued, valves set and pump timing checked.

It was just done as IH wanted it done.

If a valve cover was off for any reason after that,the head was retorqued on everything.

Depends what Headbolt's your using I did a small tractor Hydro 84 this winter and I used the hardened grade head bolts and in conjunction (red outlined water and oil passage holes ) with the silicon outlined head gasket it said no retorqureing was necessary    

They may say it is not necessary in their book, but in mine it is just good insurance to do so.

Keeping the clamping force on that gasket is the key. The gasket compresses, the bolts get looser and then the gasket can blow out.

A friend of mine retorqued the heads on an Olds 5.7 diesel, 4 times.

That engine had no head gasket issues. Not easy to do, but can save a lot of grief in the future.

10 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

They may say it is not necessary in their book, but in mine it is just good insurance to do so.

Keeping the clamping force on that gasket is the key. The gasket compresses, the bolts get looser and then the gasket can blow out.

A friend of mine retorqued the heads on an Olds 5.7 diesel, 4 times.

That engine had no head gasket issues. Not easy to do, but can save a lot of grief in the future.

I quit retorqueing mine when they started making the new headgaskets along with the higher tensil strength headbolts if everything is reconditioned (surfaced head with no other defects and sleeve standout at specs theres no need anymore I've done dozens of rebuilds never had an issue with headgaskets