B.B.

New Member with a 1486 that needs a lot of TLC and now a 986, 1086, and 1586

9 hours ago, 40FarmallM said:

Never thought I'd see someone I'm so close to on here. I'm over in Warrick County. silly question maybe but is that PG's (if it is you'll know what PG means) maroon service truck? He's an IH man I know. Looks like your starting to put together some nice IH iron aswell. 

The truck belongs to my buddy Keith who is getting the 706 and got the nice 1086.   We've been best friends since we were kids.  Still playing with tractors just as always lol. 

The farm is outside of Salem Indiana so it's a little bit of a trip from Warrick CO. :)

3 hours ago, 856 Custom said:

Was nice meeting you too Brian. Good luck, you got alot of work looking at you. This is that 15 i was telling you about that you didn't see. A 79 red power demonstrator back in the day. It left three weeks ago and went to Zanesville Ohio. I had no use for it.

KIMG2033.jpg

I would if loved to have bought it too but I'm just not made of money..... :(

Plus I hope to have several more years ahead of me for collecting IH 86 series tractors.  :)

I do have a question for you guys following.  Both of my tractors have 18.4-38 tires.  Can I put 20.8-38 tires on the existing rims or do I have to buy wider rims to do that? 

I was thinking of going to the bigger tires on the 14 eventually. 

So.... Yesterday a early 986 came home to the farm.  I found this tractor on facebook selling page down near Paducah KY. The good news is this one seems to run pretty good!  

I don't have but just this picture of it for now, and really don't know that much about it.  It's the most expensive IH tractor I have bought at this point but still don't have much in it.  My buddy bought the 706 although it's still at the farm.  It's destined to become a puller.  I've known I was going to buy this 986 for about a month or so, but just couldn't get the details worked out to get it home with the holidays, and extreme cold weather till yesterday. 

108936.jpeg

You seam to have been bitten by the IH bug!

46 minutes ago, superih said:

You seam to have been bitten by the IH bug!

LOL I've had the IH bug for several years I just finally got real IH tractors :-)

Cool.  You'll need bigger rims for the 20.8s, but that's  probably good because you can just unbolt yours and sell them as a set.   Halfway decent tires sell fast,  given the prices on used ones 

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:24 PM, stronger800 said:

Cool.  You'll need bigger rims for the 20.8s, but that's  probably good because you can just unbolt yours and sell them as a set.   Halfway decent tires sell fast,  given the prices on used ones 

Thanks!  I still have a long way to go before I get ready to buy new tires, but was just thinking ahead.  

Measure your rims first. 18.4's go on 16" wide rims, and 20.8's go on 18" wide rims. There is a slim possibility that someone put 18.4's on 18" rims to save some money in the past.

1 minute ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Measure your rims first. 18.4's go on 16" wide rims, and 20.8's go on 18" wide rims. There is a slim possibility that someone put 18.4's on 18" rims to save some money in the past.

Good to know.  Thanks! 

I was up at farm over the weekend and got to really look over the 986.  The cab is pretty rusty, and will require a lot of work to restore.  I may end up searching for a better cab.   The engine runs out pretty well, with very little blow by.  All the gears seem to work, but it's really difficult to get into park and reverse.  The TA and clutch all work like they should though.   The rear tires are worn badly, and will need replaced.  I also have two mismatched rear wheel centers.  One is a 6 hole wedge lock, the other is a 12 hole clamp style.  My axles are both 3 1/4" though so I am not sure why one wheel center was changed out.  The 3pt arm adjusters are also welded tight, which I am not OK with.  So I have a few parts to find at a salvage yard, but it seems to run and operate like it should, and even the lights still work! :) 

I can tell you I was all smiles driving it around the farm even with the lumpy worn out tires, and hard to shift into reverse!  I haven't driven a 986 since I was about 13 years old which will be 26 years ago!  I appreciate you all letting me share this story with you.  I was like a little boy carpet farming all over again on Saturday! 

109839.jpeg

109844.jpeg

109841.jpeg

109845.jpeg

The clamp style would have been stock on a 986 if I'm not mistaken, and IH knew full well by the time the 806 came out that those weren't strong enough for a ~100HP tractor.

Most likely the wedge is a replacement after the original clamp center got busted.

14 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

The clamp style would have been stock on a 986 if I'm not mistaken, and IH knew full well by the time the 806 came out that those weren't strong enough for a ~100HP tractor.

Most likely the wedge is a replacement after the original clamp center got busted.

That would be my guess too, I'd just like to have them match.  I guess it shouldn't bother me, but it does! :) 

Tractor is an early one so it's over 40 years old so a lot could of happened to it in that time. 

Yesterday I drove down to Calhoun KY and brought back 4 wheel weights for 50 bucks a piece.  I felt like I got a pretty decent deal on those?

116388.jpeg

6 minutes ago, B.B. said:

Yesterday I drove down to Calhoun KY and brought back 4 wheel weights for 50 bucks a piece.  I felt like I got a pretty decent deal on those?

116388.jpeg

Well bought.

A buddy who works at a (sort of) local dealer messaged me last week to let me know they had a pretty nice low hour 986 coming in on trade. 

I went and looked once it got there and it is indeed pretty nice.  I swallowed hard when he told me how much but after counting out all my pennies in my jar, searching the couch cushions, and emptying the clothes dryer I found enough.  They will be delivering it to the farm sometime hopefully next week.  

I'm broke but I'm stoked! This is my dream/bucket list tractor. 

I will probably have to sell my other 986 but I think I can get my money back at least. 

The progress on the 14 and 10 have stalled due to winter but I hope I can get at least one running this summer.  

116386.jpeg

116390.jpeg

116383.jpeg

116378.jpeg

116382.jpeg

That's a nice looking 986!    It doesn't take long fixing them up to sink a ton of money in them!

1 hour ago, B.B. said:

A buddy who works at a (sort of) local dealer messaged me last week to let me know they had a pretty nice low hour 986 coming in on trade. 

I went and looked once it got there and it is indeed pretty nice.  I swallowed hard when he told me how much but after counting out all my pennies in my jar, searching the couch cushions, and emptying the clothes dryer I found enough.  They will be delivering it to the farm sometime hopefully next week.  

I'm broke but I'm stoked! This is my dream/bucket list tractor. 

I will probably have to sell my other 986 but I think I can get my money back at least. 

The progress on the 14 and 10 have stalled due to winter but I hope I can get at least one running this summer.  

116386.jpeg

116390.jpeg

116383.jpeg

116378.jpeg

116382.jpeg

Nice 986!

I work for a guy that has a beef farm in Salam and my folks live in Henryville, small world.

SMiller it is indeed a small world.

Nate, indeed you are correct. 

Thanks for the positive comments guys!

thanks for sharing pics. You really found a nice fence row 1486. I currently own a 806 that i ran when i was a teenager, a few years back LOL. I have been looking at the 86 series I'd really like to get one sometime. congrats on your find. 

Would luv to have an 86 series myself but the funds aint there yet....maybe someday. Nice find

3 hours ago, Wes806 said:

thanks for sharing pics. You really found a nice fence row 1486. I currently own a 806 that i ran when i was a teenager, a few years back LOL. I have been looking at the 86 series I'd really like to get one sometime. congrats on your find. 

Thanks.  I hope to keep these tractors for a long time.  

1 hour ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Would luv to have an 86 series myself but the funds aint there yet....maybe someday. Nice find

I've been working a part time gig and saving that money for tractors :)

i know where there is two IH with cabs on not sure what they are. What to go check on them tomorrow if I can get around. They have been sitting there for about 4 years now.  The guy that has them has a habit of buying cars/trucks  and about anything and park them and never resell. I'm hoping one is a 86 series and he'll sell. guess I won't know till I check it out.:)

That is a clean looking 986 for sure.