New Member with a 1486 that needs a lot of TLC and a 986, 1086, 1586, and a 7130

B.B.

6 hours ago, 856 Custom said:

Well Brian. Congrats! I sure hope you have good luck with it, because if you don't I'll hear about it! You'll say well you suggested i should get a 7100 series Magnum. Lol! Really looks very nice and you got good rubber, hub duals, weights, 8900 series type mirrors. All that's alot of $$$$$ right there. Good luck to you! ?

Glad you're on board with it being your fault lol 

2 hours ago, B.B. said:

It's hard to be a tractor hoarder if you sell anything lol

You selling any of the other 86s?

I must say, you are getting quite a collection of tractors there. Would that be 6 of them you own? (Though i realize that they all don't run yet) We have 7 tractors of various sizes. What are you going to do with them all? 

Enjoy, you're spending your money wisely on them. There's worse things to spend your money on. Relationships are one of them (don't ask how i know:unsure:)

43 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

That’s a sweet looking rig. Quite a step up (not knocking the 86s) in size there. A good addition to any stable. 

X2 Nice looking. That ought to do the job.

2 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

I must say, you are getting quite a collection of tractors there. Would that be 6 of them you own? (Though i realize that they all don't run yet) We have 7 tractors of various sizes. What are you going to do with them all? 

Enjoy, you're spending your money wisely on them. There's worse things to spend your money on. Relationships are one of them (don't ask how i know:unsure:)

986 runs and usable

1086 runs but needs a little work

1486 stuck

1586 runs and works

7130 should be field ready

NH TV140 use it often great tractor

NH TC45D great little tractor I've had since 2007.   

That's 6 "big" tractors and a 45HP tractor. 

Do Cub Cadet garden tractors count? ?

Also have a Bobcat 843 I use some.  Would love to have a newer tracked one though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday I received some help from my buddy who has the dairy farm and had the original 986 that inspired this whole endeavor.  Things were going pretty well until we got back to my home town where we had planned to get fuel.  

For whatever reason the passenger side front duals blew and left us sitting.  We decided to unload the tractor right there in town and just drive it the rest of the way home.  Only problem was the front duals were on rear of trailer.   

Thankfully my best friend's dad came along and to the rescue.  We went and got their 4430 to unload duals.  Of course during all this the police showed up and we made our towns facebook page....

Luckily the two responding units were super nice young women (cute too) and directed traffic around us until we got off the main road. 

141924.jpeg

141919.jpeg

141949.png

Here's a few pictures once I got it home.  I didn't get to play with it much other than the 8-9 mile drive home.  I see why you all brag on these so much it's night and day different than my 86 series. 

I'm sure I'll have some magnum questions along the way.  But I hope to check it all over, service it, and put it to use.   I may also be looking for a loader for it at some point. 

141923.jpeg

141932.jpeg

141928.jpeg

141931.jpeg

141938.jpeg

141940.jpeg

141943.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nate said:

Sure looks like a nice clean one!!!     What are the duals for on the back of trailer??

For the front.   I'm not sure if I will keep those as spares or sell them.  I can't see me ever needing duals on the front too. 

6 minutes ago, Cool1566 said:

Congratulations! Nice looking tractor!  I’d like to have one just like it! I have some steep places in my pasture that needs MFWD. 

It will certainly be safer to use this in some places.  I'm not sure how all it will get used.   My buddy has a big spreader and lots of turkey litter to spread.  I'll probably put the rear duals back on for that.  I don't think it will fit in my old barn though with them so I'm not a huge fan of leaving them on. 

I really need to build a new bigger barn, but that will have to wait till I win the lotto.

11 hours ago, B.B. said:

Saturday I received some help from my buddy who has the dairy farm and had the original 986 that inspired this whole endeavor.  Things were going pretty well until we got back to my home town where we had planned to get fuel.  

For whatever reason the passenger side front duals blew and left us sitting.  We decided to unload the tractor right there in town and just drive it the rest of the way home.  Only problem was the front duals were on rear of trailer.   

Thankfully my best friend's dad came along and to the rescue.  We went and got their 4430 to unload duals.  Of course during all this the police showed up and we made our towns facebook page....

Luckily the two responding units were super nice young women (cute too) and directed traffic around us until we got off the main road. 

141924.jpeg

141919.jpeg

141949.png

Well Brian after all that commotion you'll never forget that day you picked it up. Ugh!.

Front duals on 71-89 series wasn't the best thing to do. They weren't made for that. I don't think you'll miss those front duals.

6 hours ago, 856 Custom said:

Well Brian after all that commotion you'll never forget that day you picked it up. Ugh!.

Front duals on 71-89 series wasn't the best thing to do. They weren't made for that. I don't think you'll miss those front duals.

Agreed, I am sure it will be talked about for the rest of those of us involved lives...

I also just now noticed David's dog's face peaking out of his driver's side window lol 

Other than being the next size bigger and a little brighter paint job, yours is a twin to our the way it's set up. Ours had front duals on it too when we bought it. In fact they were brand new tires on all 4 fronts when we got it. 

Like you we took the front duals off and kept them for spares for the front. We have used them now. Still have the rims and dual clamps sitting in the misc junk storage barn. (Anyone need rims or T-rail dual clamps let me know B))

3 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Other than being the next size bigger and a little brighter paint job, yours is a twin to our the way it's set up. Ours had front duals on it too when we bought it. In fact they were brand new tires on all 4 fronts when we got it. 

Like you we took the front duals off and kept them for spares for the front. We have used them now. Still have the rims and dual clamps sitting in the misc junk storage barn. (Anyone need rims or T-rail dual clamps let me know B))

It's got fluid in the front tires too.  I am not sure that is going to stay either.   

The guy I bought it from quit farming about 2 years ago.  He and his father in law and uncle have owned the tractor the last 14-16 years and they bought it from the original owner.  It now has 8700 hours on it, and within the last 700 hours had the transmission gone through by local dealer with a bill of just over 10K.  The motor is supposed to be all original and untouched.  

Seat is worn but appears to be the original seat, as does all the interior pieces.  It has always sat in a machine shed with a concrete floor, and has been used in row crop production.   I think at some point it was painted as I did notice a couple minor runs in the paint.   I think with a little wet sanding and some wax it will look really good! 

When driving it home I couldn't get any heat in the cab and I am not sure if there is a petcock valve on the motor like my NH has?  I'll have to check into that.  I also know I will be servicing the AC system as he said it worked after he got it back from the dealer, but then after a while it lost it's charge again.  

It needs a few minor things, but is pretty clean, and in good overall shape.  I think I got a good deal on it and didn't pay anywhere near what I see them on TH for.  I didn't steal it either, and I actually had to borrow a few bucks from the bank to get it.  I never imagined I'd ever be able to afford one of these tractors!  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, B.B. said:

am not sure if there is a petcock valve on the motor like my NH has? 

Yeah, there are 2. One on each side of the engine. Here is a picture of the one on the left side of the engine near the fuel filters. There is one on the right side too.

20180523_110546.jpg

20 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Yeah, there are 2. One on each side of the engine. Here is a picture of the one on the left side of the engine near the fuel filters. There is one on the right side too.

20180523_110546.jpg

I figured it did, and next time I'm up there I will check into that.  I shut my NH off in the summer as it helps keep the AC colder.  

I tend to agree with you on the fluid in the fronts.  If I do put a loader on it at some point the weights will have to come off, and I think it would help to make it ride a little better with just air in the fronts.   

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had the 15 out of the barn yesterday for a bit.  I had to park it next to the 7130 just to compare them.   The Magnum spoils you as far as the transmission and getting in and out of the cab.  

I ordered a dual PTO from Abilene Machine while I was at the farm show.  They had 10% off and free shipping but it's still an expensive venture.  I figure sine I want to service it anyway it will be a good time while I have the oil drained.  My bat wing is a 540 PTO so that will allow me to use the Magnum to mow with.  

It's cold out so no real progress with anything but I know folks like pictures. :)

143356.jpeg

143364.jpeg

143353.jpeg

143357.jpeg

143351.jpeg

While I was trying out the "new" Magnum I figured might as well take it to the back side of the place.   I guarantee that's the biggest tractor ever down that little road through the woods.   I'm going to have to trim some limbs as I forget about the mirror that sticks out.  I had one side pulled in, and had to be really careful! :)

143370.jpeg

• Like 3

At least those mirrors fold in when you hit them with something. You don't end up with broken mirrors that way.

Done that plenty of times on our 7120 with the mirrors like yours. They've survived so far.

17 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

At least those mirrors fold in when you hit them with something. You don't end up with broken mirrors that way.

Done that plenty of times on our 7120 with the mirrors like yours. They've survived so far.

Yes they do and then it's really hard to get out of the cab! :)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, B.B. said:

Yes they do and then it's really hard to get out of the cab! :)

Yeah, i know. When Grandpa was still helping he did that a few times and someone had to come flip it back out. I could do it through a partially opened door if it happened to me and so could dad and my brother, but he couldn't.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up 14 IH flame cut weights this afternoon.  

Also found a decent running 1486 I am debating on buying.  It's a 1979 model same as I am and seems to be mechanically in good shape.  Problem is after buying the magnum I'm broke.....  I'm debating about grabbing it and selling my original 1486.  Decisions decisions

And yes I know hauling loose weights inside the cabin of a vehicle is dangerous and stupid.  Dodge caravan (my company car) knew that weight was in there too.  

144654.jpeg

• Like 1