New Member with a 1486 that needs a lot of TLC and a 986, 1086, 1586, and a 7130

B.B.

17 hours ago, B.B. said:

I'm perfectly content with what I have, but yeah a 7150, 7250, or 8950 would be nice! :)

Sell those 86 series before they drain the bank account fixing them. Or keep one that you think is in the best mechanical condition if you want one. You'll be money ahead and get a 7000 series Magnum.

7 hours ago, 856 Custom said:

Sell those 86 series before they drain the bank account fixing them. Or keep one that you think is in the best mechanical condition if you want one. You'll be money ahead and get a 7000 series Magnum.

That would make the most financial sense, but it's hard to hoard tractors if you sell several to only get one! :)  Who knows what the future holds.  The only tractor I really probably do for sure actually need is my little TC45NH and only because I have a 5ft bush hog for it and the loader is nice to help keep the property up etc.  

I don't farm, the cows on the property aren't mine as I rent it out for pasture ground.  I only mowed it as I wanted too, I could of just as easily made my renter do it.  That's who's bush hog I borrowed.  I'd like to just have my own so I can use it whenever I want.   I only play farm on weekends just to remind me of my roots!  I wish I could farm for a vocation though, at least I think I would. ?

• 2 weeks later...

I brought the other 1086 up front to where I could work on it some.  I quickly took a picture of the line up.  One of the 1086 tractors will be leaving soon, so I don't really have 5! 

Here's a quick vid from Saturday of my buddy Keith finishing mowing the pasture field.  

130144.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just seen your video of your mate bush hogging.

You got some fine hills to slither up and down. ?

Hills certainly stop you getting bored, more than once I've gone down a hill faster than I started. Definitely makes you pucker up ?

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:01 PM, Pid 1831 said:

Just seen your video of your mate bush hogging.

You got some fine hills to slither up and down. ?

Hills certainly stop you getting bored, more than once I've gone down a hill faster than I started. Definitely makes you pucker up ?

I hadn't ever thought of it in those terms, but no you certainly don't get bored.  Between the hills, and sink holes you gotta stay on your toes. 

Years ago my dad ended up going backwards down that big hill on his Minnie Mo U302 when it dies about half way up with the discbine behind it.   I think that scared him pretty good as he never used that tractor to pull the discbine again. 

I got up early Saturday to go look at a gooseneck trailer not too far from the farm.   After looking it over I ended up buying it.  It's a 20'  dual tandem with I think a 4' dovetail.  It's an older trailer but in pretty good shape, and I got what I think is a heck of a bargain on it.   I then pulled it about 350 miles round trip to bring the batwing home.   That pretty much shot all of the daylight I had available for Saturday so it's all still parked in the field until I can unload it another weekend.  

I've never had a gooseneck trailer before, but I am excited to be able to go get my own stuff.  I've always had to involve my buddy and use his truck and trailer on heavy stuff, but now I can just do that myself.  My ole 1997 GMC farm truck handled it pretty well.  It's a 454 so it drinks a lot of gas, but it pulls pretty well.  I've never bought a used trailer, and it made me pretty nervous to venture that farm from home with an unknown trailer, but I kept a close eye on it and everything went really smooth. 

139948.jpeg

139947.jpeg

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Tmtbob said:

You don't have much clearance between the top of the bed and trailer neck. Be careful when turning corners. Pulling out of a field without much of a drive will crush the bed like a pop can. 

Yeah I'm aware I have to be careful where I go with it.  One of these days I will probably upgrade to a better one, but I have some scrap yet to haul off, and I couldn't see getting a nicer one until that's done.  I had to refurb my current 16' car hauler due to hauling scrap.   

I'd hate to crush the bed on that ole truck.  I bought it out of North Carolina and it's clean underneath.  Trucks of that vintage from around here are usually worn out.  It only has 137K on it as well, and other than the paint it's in good shape.  But if I did, I'd just put a flat bed on it. 

2 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Probably wouldn’t cost that much to extend the neck up if you like the trailer. 

That's a possibility.  I'll see how I get along with it.    I don't have much in it so I have some wiggle room if I do need to spend a few dollars on it.  

2 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Probably wouldn’t cost that much to extend the neck up if you like the trailer. 

I cannot tell from the photo if you have an adjustable height on the gooseneck or not.  If it is adjustable, then it is just some time and wrenching to make it happen.

If not you are going to need a welder, but it should not be too bad a job to do.  Or hire done.

In either case make sure that the light cord is long enough.  I had to rewire somebody else's after they extended their gooseneck.....

9 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

I cannot tell from the photo if you have an adjustable height on the gooseneck or not.  If it is adjustable, then it is just some time and wrenching to make it happen.

If not you are going to need a welder, but it should not be too bad a job to do.  Or hire done.

In either case make sure that the light cord is long enough.  I had to rewire somebody else's after they extended their gooseneck.....

It does have some adjustment, but then the trailer won't sit level.    I'll take a better look at it next time I'm up at the farm, but that sis something I'd probably hire done instead of trying to tackle that by myself.  I can weld, but I'm not the greatest at it, and I'd rather not have the neck break off going down the road! :)

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 6:58 AM, 856 Custom said:

More info to come later as I don't have it home yet, and I am not sure if I will sell any of the 86 series or not, but I think I found a sweet tractor for me to use! 

00X0X_eMpFVQsBkf4_1200x900.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, B.B. said:

More info to come later as I don't have it home yet, and I am not sure if I will sell any of the 86 series or not, but I think I found a sweet tractor for me to use! 

You won’t have any problems on your hills now!  Nice rubber!

22 minutes ago, Cool1566 said:

You won’t have any problems on your hills now!  Nice rubber!

Inside rears are new like the fronts.  Has duals for front too but they are worn like rear duals.  I'll probably sell the front duals when I get everything home. 

10 hours ago, B.B. said:

Well Brian. Congrats! I sure hope you have good luck with it, because if you don't I'll hear about it! You'll say well you suggested i should get a 7100 series Magnum. Lol! Really looks very nice and you got good rubber, hub duals, weights, 8900 series type mirrors. All that's alot of $$$$$ right there. Good luck to you! ?

Looks like a carbon copy of Dad's 7120 except it's paint job is a little brighter than ours. 

1 hour ago, Reichow7120 said:

Looks like a carbon copy of Dad's 7120 except it's paint job is a little brighter than ours. 

And it's gonna get some polishing and wax when I get it home lol. 

3 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Looks nice. If you need somewhere to store a 86 or 2 i will find a spot for em. ?

It's hard to be a tractor hoarder if you sell anything lol