Jump to content

New Member with a 1486 that needs a lot of TLC and a 986, 1086, 1586, and a 7130


B.B.

Recommended Posts

 Congratulations on getting a 1586,It looks like a pretty good deal too!

 86 series tractors are my favourite too, last year I picked up a 786 in May and 1486 in August to go with my 886, 986, 1086 and a Hydro 186.

 I plan on someday owning a 1586 along with a 686, Hydro 86, 4186, 4386, 4586, 4786

 I would also like to get One each of a 3388, 3588 and 3788 2+2, we had a 3588 for eight years up until 1994, it was a good tractor. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, B.B. said:

It's possible :)

I stopped and looked at it once. Has lots of rubber on it and looked pretty solid. From the road I thought MFWD but found the tires only. I would change tires also but it does give it a little different stance. Glad you got it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Qc.Can.IH man said:

 Congratulations on getting a 1586,It looks like a pretty good deal too!

 86 series tractors are my favourite too, last year I picked up a 786 in May and 1486 in August to go with my 886, 986, 1086 and a Hydro 186.

 I plan on someday owning a 1586 along with a 686, Hydro 86, 4186, 4386, 4586, 4786

 I would also like to get One each of a 3388, 3588 and 3788 2+2, we had a 3588 for eight years up until 1994, it was a good tractor. 

HaHa! I think for now I am done.  An 886 is essentially just like my 986 but with less HP which also covers the 786 so either of those I don't really care about unless I just found a  great deal.  

The 186 would be neat but I hate the left handed hydro lever.  I used to have a couple Cub Cadets that were left handed hydros and I hated them for that!  

 

I have no need for a big articulated tractor but if I found a 4386 that still had the straight 6 reasonably cheap I might pick one up.  (I'd love to have a Ford/Versitile 846-976 though) 

 

If I found a reasonable 686 I might pick one of those up.  I watched a 86 hydro sell for 1K a month or so ago at auction with hydro issues.  I would of bought it for that price but the very next tractor was a 1486 I wanted to bid on but got outbid, and then I thought well dang I should of bought the little hydro  even if it was left handed! :)

 

I originally wanted a 986 and have since I was a kid so this whole mess really stems from there.  (4) 86 series tractors is enough and I really just want to focus on getting the two that don't run now to run, and find some implements for them.  I haven't been able to afford part as I kept buying whole tractors but as soon as I get myself paid back for this last one I hope to start fixing things!  

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I stopped and looked at it once. Has lots of rubber on it and looked pretty solid. From the road I thought MFWD but found the tires only. I would change tires also but it does give it a little different stance. Glad you got it. 

I hope it's solid! I still can't believe I won the auction.  I went and looked at it briefly but figured it would go for more than I could afford so I was stoked when no one else bid on it last minute Wednesday!  The adrenaline rush was really something as my heart was pounding.  I went and paid for it yesterday and I hope to move it out of these this afternoon. 

Story on it was farmer who owned it for several years from original owner just traded it in on a new 100hp 4WD loader tractor.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, B.B. said:

So yesterday I won, and today I paid for a 1979 Red Power 1586.  I just have to get it home and put some regular front wheels on it, as those that are on it are hideous. 

I briefly test drove it, and it all seems to work like it should.  Engine sounds great and fired right up.  I'm excited, and will be even happier once it's home! 

 

I started this journey a little over a year ago with the '77 1486. I now have and plan to keep the '76 1086, the '78 986, and now a '79 1586.  That's 4 tractors and that's plenty!  

1586.png

Four models from 4 different years. Cool!  Enjoy your collection. ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Four models from 4 different years. Cool!  Enjoy your collection. ?

Yeah and I'm a 1979 model as is my original 782 IH Cub Cadet so I'm excited to finally have a 79 model and that it's a true red power just makes it that much better! 

:)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, B.B. said:

HaHa! I think for now I am done.  An 886 is essentially just like my 986 but with less HP which also covers the 786 so either of those I don't really care about unless I just found a  great deal.  

The 186 would be neat but I hate the left handed hydro lever.  I used to have a couple Cub Cadets that were left handed hydros and I hated them for that!  

 

I have no need for a big articulated tractor but if I found a 4386 that still had the straight 6 reasonably cheap I might pick one up.  (I'd love to have a Ford/Versitile 846-976 though) 

 

If I found a reasonable 686 I might pick one of those up.  I watched a 86 hydro sell for 1K a month or so ago at auction with hydro issues.  I would of bought it for that price but the very next tractor was a 1486 I wanted to bid on but got outbid, and then I thought well dang I should of bought the little hydro  even if it was left handed! :)

 

I originally wanted a 986 and have since I was a kid so this whole mess really stems from there.  (4) 86 series tractors is enough and I really just want to focus on getting the two that don't run now to run, and find some implements for them.  I haven't been able to afford part as I kept buying whole tractors but as soon as I get myself paid back for this last one I hope to start fixing things!  

 

 

 

I love the left handed hydro leaves other hand free for throttle and hydraulic levers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Out of curiosity how wide is it with the duels?

Are the axle bars much narrower when the duels are removed?

In a way it maybe better to haul with duels on even if it a little bit wider?

If you lunatic car drivers are like our lunatic car drivers they wouldn't see a bar axle extending over the edge of the trailer.

Come to think if it some of them wouldn't see the truck trailer and tractor if they were all painted luminous pink with flashing lights :unsure::(.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 2:59 AM, Pid 1831 said:

Out of curiosity how wide is it with the duels?

Are the axle bars much narrower when the duels are removed?

In a way it maybe better to haul with duels on even if it a little bit wider?

If you lunatic car drivers are like our lunatic car drivers they wouldn't see a bar axle extending over the edge of the trailer.

Come to think if it some of them wouldn't see the truck trailer and tractor if they were all painted luminous pink with flashing lights :unsure::(.

 

 

I forgot to measure it Saturday while I was up there, but I'd guess the duals stick out at least 15" father than the end of the axles, but they are set all the way out too.  It's pretty wide and this is my first tractor with duals.  I tried to take them off while I was at the farm but my dad's 3/4" impact just wasn't up to task on some of the bolts.  I also didn't have a helper nor a long enough 3/4 extension to get out past the wheels.  I do not plan to keep them on there as I don't need them and they really make a big tractor much bigger.  

 

I also want to find the original front wheels and tires for this 15.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:16 AM, jass1660 said:

I love the left handed hydro leaves other hand free for throttle and hydraulic levers. 

I can see that, and if you get used to it it's not bad.  All of my hydros have been right handed.   Folks complain about the left handed shifting on the 86.  I personally don't mind it as my NH TC45D has the shifter and PTO on that side and it has always worked out well for me. 

I've read countless times about the gripes of the 86 series.  As far as I'm concerned the only thing IH could of done better would be to switch the way the doors opened.   While It's not hard to get in and out of, that tire is right there, and if it's muddy or nasty it's pretty easy to get on you.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, B.B. said:

I can see that, and if you get used to it it's not bad.  All of my hydros have been right handed.   Folks complain about the left handed shifting on the 86.  I personally don't mind it as my NH TC45D has the shifter and PTO on that side and it has always worked out well for me. 

I've read countless times about the gripes of the 86 series.  As far as I'm concerned the only thing IH could of done better would be to switch the way the doors opened.   While It's not hard to get in and out of, that tire is right there, and if it's muddy or nasty it's pretty easy to get on you.   

I'll second that though the door swinging forward was never a big issue to me. Of course I ran a lot on a 1466 and the cab on those made me develop a intense dislike of the 66 series. Next to those cabs the 86 series cabs were the Taj Mahal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

I'll second that though the door swinging forward was never a big issue to me. Of course I ran a lot on a 1466 and the cab on those made me develop a intense dislike of the 66 series. Next to those cabs the 86 series cabs were the Taj Mahal.

It's not me either.  The little farm I grew up never had a cabbed tractor till just a few years ago when I bought e the NH TV140.   Obviously I really like the 86 series, but do think had they of hinged that door the other way it would of made entry and exit easier. 

 

That being said, cars and trucks of the 1974/75 vintage when these were being developed didn't have as nice of a cab as these tractors did! :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ordered new front tires for the 15 today.  Simple tire had 10% off and free shipping.   Now I just have to find a set of wheels.  I am hoping my local salvage yard can help with that.  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Ordered new wheels, tubes, and lug bolts Tues from Hey Wheel. They came today (Thursday) and I was able to get them mounted this evening. 

 

I'm going to leave them white for now and if I paint the tractor I'll paint them then.  Hope to get these installed Saturday when I'm up at the farm. 

123652.jpeg

123653.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, B.B. said:

 Snagged another set of wheel weights off facebook tonight.  100 bucks for the pair. :)

123776.jpeg

That's a pretty good deal. ?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I was up at the farm this past Saturday with some time to work on tractors.  The 15 got new water valves in the tubes on the rear tires.  I was really sweating this as the tires needed air and the ones that were in there looked terrible, and I knew if I messed with them they would leak.   Thankfully other than a bath on the first one the old ones came out without a hitch.  And yes I had the valve stem on top! :)

 

I also was able to get the AC working in the 15, and learned some things along the way.  I really don't know much about AC work, but after getting it going on the 15 I certainly have gained some confidence.  The Cab side of it would shut off intermittently but I think cleaning some connections under the steering column may have fixed that issue.  Added several cans of Freon and it works! :)  I have also now watched a few you tube videos on AC repair so I may be getting to level expert on it! ?

 

And since I have yet to grow up officially here is a quick vid of a little road trip I took with it.  The front spindles are pretty loose so I need to repair that as it's kind of a handful on the road at warp speed! (ok, ok, it's only 17mph) 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

You got a rough idea how much you have in the 11.00x16 fronts? I'm thinking it's probably not much more, or maybe less, than replacing the 14L-16.1's on mine. Tires alone are $250 and up.

Yeah, tires were 356.27 shipped from simple tire.  I caught them when they had 10% off and free shipping.  

Wheels, tubes, and lug bolts (my lug bolts were MIA from the spacer install) was 290.00 shipped from Hey Wheel.   I think the bolts were 1.50 a piece?  So 24 bucks in bolts.  

 

Total was 646.27 which I didn't realize I had spent quite that much! :)  But it helps explain why my tractor fund balance was down a little. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...