New Member with a 1486 that needs a lot of TLC and a 986, 1086, 1586, and a 7130

B.B.

22 hours ago, bitty said:

They must have made a bunch of different hitches. I believe this one is a factory one for an MX also

Those ones were brought out about a year or two after the ones like B.B. and I have. 

I think the main reason they changed them was because the original adjustable ones would twist too much, I noticed that mine will move a lot because it originally came with four pins instead of bolts, I often think that I should change my pins to bolts because the holes are starting to wear oval shaped. 

22 hours ago, B.B. said:

Bitty they may very well have.   And these hitches may have all been made by someone else for Case IH and just marketed through them?  

After seeing the parts break down, and the evidence in the pictures below I'm convinced mine is a Case IH hitch! :)

You can see the star cast emblem in this hitch on a MX220 is the same as the star cast into the hitch I just got.  

I often wonder if someone else makes the quick hitches. 

When I ordered my MX 220 in the fall of 99 I ordered it with the adjustable quick hitch, because most of my equipment was set up with category two or category three narrow. 

A couple of years ago I bought a quick hitch that came off a 7140 magnum, it’s a category three wide that I would like to make it either adjustable or narrow it down to a category two width.It’s painted black with a case IH sticker on it, it looks exactly the same as the one pictured in an early 86 series brochure. 

285E22AC-B6B4-48CF-8BA9-2AD6E6D6B8AE.jpeg

4F0F4DCF-CA3C-4CDB-ABB3-F925B8CB73C3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2019 at 6:02 AM, Qc.Can.IH man said:

Those ones were brought out about a year or two after the ones like B.B. and I have. 

I think the main reason they changed them was because the original adjustable ones would twist too much, I noticed that mine will move a lot because it originally came with four pins instead of bolts, I often think that I should change my pins to bolts because the holes are starting to wear oval shaped. 

I often wonder if someone else makes the quick hitches. 

When I ordered my MX 220 in the fall of 99 I ordered it with the adjustable quick hitch, because most of my equipment was set up with category two or category three narrow. 

A couple of years ago I bought a quick hitch that came off a 7140 magnum, it’s a category three wide that I would like to make it either adjustable or narrow it down to a category two width.It’s painted black with a case IH sticker on it, it looks exactly the same as the one pictured in an early 86 series brochure. 

285E22AC-B6B4-48CF-8BA9-2AD6E6D6B8AE.jpeg

4F0F4DCF-CA3C-4CDB-ABB3-F925B8CB73C3.jpeg

Had one just like that bottom picture nobody wanted it so I sent it to the scrapper.

• Sad 4

I had to use my New Holland Jack to get the "new" quick hitch on the 15.   15 got two new batteries today as well and a little less worn draw bar. 

147559.jpeg

147538.jpeg

• Like 5

Magnum got a new K&M seat on top the original air ride.  Sure does sit a lot better. 

The magnum will spoil you too.  It's night and day more comfortable to climb in and operate than the 86 series.  Almost makes me want to sell the 86 tractors and find a 7120 or 7220 

147554.jpeg

147552.jpeg

147544.jpeg

• Like 4

And if you've been following along you know that a neighbor dairy farmer had a 986 that inspired me to want one.  He also had a Bi-Directional that inspired my TV140. 

He found a couple old photos of those two tractors while they were chopping and packing silage. 

147570.jpeg

147568.jpeg

• Like 3

And finally same neighbor had these two old pictures of your truly as a teenager after winning the trailer backing contest and garden tractor contest at my local 4H fair.  The two girls are his daughters who I think came in second. 

I think I was about 14 there?

147507.jpeg

147506.jpeg

• Like 2

The quick hitch looks good on the 1586! ?

I would love to have your 1586 if you were to sell it! ? It would fit in nicely with my lineup of 86 series tractors! 

You don’t look too happy in your picture with your trophy…  I think the girls look happy for you! ?

7 hours ago, Qc.Can.IH man said:

The quick hitch looks good on the 1586! ?

I would love to have your 1586 if you were to sell it! ? It would fit in nicely with my lineup of 86 series tractors! 

You don’t look too happy in your picture with your trophy…  I think the girls look happy for you! ?

15 isn't going anywhere :)

I was an ass as a teenager....   oh wait I might still be lol 

1 hour ago, 856 Custom said:

Lol! All I'm gonna say. ?

I know ole Buddy you told me so lol 

I still love the 86 series.  But that power shift and throttle setup in the magnum is nice.  Steps and door are awesome too.  

Magnum has a chrome straight pipe with muffler deleted.  It certainly will make you moist!

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I took off at noon and drove up home to work on the magnum.   My buddy's spread is a 540 PTO (he thought it was 1K) so the magnum would not work on it.  At the Farm Show in Louisville Abilene  Machine had 10% off and free shipping.  I order the dual PTO kit at the show, and it came a few days later.  It didn't come with any instructions and Abilene was useless about having instructions.  I spoke with my cousin who's worked for the local Case IH dealer for probably close to 40 years and he acted like it was no big deal to swap over.  

Neither of us had worked on an IH pto before so it was all new territory.  It was left last night apart, cleaned up and ready to assemble with the new parts.  We ran out of time and I am not sure if he's going to carry the PTO to a local guy (another cousin of his) that works on the older IH's to help reassemble or if he's going to wait till I can come back on Saturday.  We couldn't figure out which bearing went on which shaft.  They are exactly the same size, but one is shielded and had a split inner race, and the other is just a non shielded ball bearing.  Of course I couldn't get ahold of my cousin last night so I went home defeated as I had hoped I could get this back together before we had to quit. 

The magnum is getting a full fluid and filter change while it's in the shop.  Here's a few pics of the process, and all the parts.  If we had known where those two bearings went for sure I think we could of had this back together last night.  It didn't help he had to leave a little sooner than expected so that cut us short on hours. 

The kit also doesn't include the gasket to put the pto unit back on the tractor so we couldn't of completed this yesterday anyway.  I am hoping we can procure one before Saturday. 

149532.jpeg

149536.jpeg

149535.jpeg

149547.jpeg

149553.jpeg

149549.jpeg

149551.jpeg

• Like 1

We were able to get pto box put back together and installed yesterday.  Those Teflon rings are a royal pita! 

Kid wanted to make a couple bucks and she agreed to shine tractor.  So it got rubbed all over with rubbing compound and then waxed.  It brought the shine out.  I carefully wet sanded a run on the hood too before we started.   It's a good 10ft paint job but isn't going to win any contests! 

Still waiting on oil to be delivered to finish up job.  

149666.jpeg

149673.jpeg

• Like 2

So last night I was looking on FB minding my own business when a buddy of mine posted this for sale.  Apparently he took a new sales job in outdoor power at a local dealer and they have been without a sales guy for a while so he listed this in an attempt to clean out some used equipment.  I snagged it for what I think is a really good price (helps when your friends with the salesman).  I have wanted a UTV for the farm for some time, so I think this will fit in well.   I didn't really have money set aside for this, but I'll figure it out somehow! :) 

59829423_10218800363030095_626496258013396992_n.jpg

60142829_10218800364550133_7465978368312213504_n.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I still have a lot of work to do to each of these tractors and it will be a work in progress, but they all drove up to the spot here in the field to take a "group" photo.  986, 1086, 1486, and the 1586 all represented.  

151010.jpeg

151012.jpeg

I mowed a little with the 986 Saturday and the previous weekend.  The batwing does a great job, but I have got to get the AC working in whatever tractor I use to mow with!  

151014.jpeg

• Like 8

Spent Saturday making 50 trips up and down the cab of the 1586.   I followed the advice I got in a different thread asking about AC and making sure everything is clean.  The 1586 I charged last year and had it working but then it quit.  I knew my cab fan sucked up foam at some point as it was badly out of balance.  40 years is too long for foam to last in the top of a cab so that all got cleaned out and I washed both condenser and evaporator as best I could.  Put new foam in to seal it up and I'm happy to say AC now works again in the 15.   

My neighbor has borrowed my 986 to pull his drill with this spring.  I think a little bit of field work will be good for it.   So the 15 is back on batwing duty for the summer. 

I'm kind of proud of myself for learning and fixing my own AC.  I know I have a lot to learn yet but thankfully I've got great help on this forum. 

151349.jpeg

151345.jpeg

151341.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's a couple videos and a picture from this past weekend planting Millet for my buddy.  The drill was rented from the soil and water conservation.  10ft drill takes a while to plant with for sure!  

I know this ole 15 still needs some work, but I sure do like it.  

153936.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Nice! I've toted a few bits of equipment through there, lol. A few years ago I nearly wiped out a haybine not far from there north on 135. Oncoming guy decided he wasn't slowing down and no shoulder just a guardrail. We both made it but I thought the jig was up, lol.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, rcb said:

Nice! I've toted a few bits of equipment through there, lol. A few years ago I nearly wiped out a haybine not far from there north on 135. Oncoming guy decided he wasn't slowing down and no shoulder just a guardrail. We both made it but I thought the jig was up, lol.

It's not much fun taking equipment through town.   Our little town used to have some sense as it was a rural agricultural area.  That can still be said, but just fewer people in ag, as the small family farm isn't as plentiful as it used to be.   Now most folks that live around there seem to have no understanding of agriculture or it's needs to move equipment. 

A few years ago I helped move a combine early one Sunday morning and people at times were very irate.  The guy I was helping remarked, all the people that were cussing and fussing were probably on their way to church!  :)   

• 1 month later...

So last week I was on auction time (I'm kind of addicted) and found 4 75lb generic weights, and 2 75lb IH weights selling for less than the standard dollar per pound gold standard, so I bid on them and won all 6 for 60 bucks a piece all told.   They don't quite match the 4 generic 75lb weights I had on my 986 already but will certainly help with keeping the front end down.   I'm thinking a wire brush on a hand held grinder and some new red paint will help them look better. 

Before 

21594.jpeg

After.  I know they aren't quite sitting right.  I'll have to loosen the bolts and get them all settled in at some point. 

21588.jpeg

On Sunday (LONG DAY) I put new headliner, post kit, window seals, and lower complete foam kit in the Magnum.  Under it's old interior it was pretty nasty, and I gotta say it wasn't much fun getting all that in, especially the window seals.   I don't have any pictures of the interior, but here's a 7130 parked next to a 7130.....   The green one belongs to my buddy as my Magnum is there currently as they have it borrowed. 

The headliner, and Lower foam kit came from Fehr Cabs.   I had met Adam from Fehr at the HCOP show and he delivered my kit there.  This saved quite a few dollars on shipping as the headliner was expensive to ship being one piece.   You could not ask for better pieces and people to deal with. 

The window seal kit from Hy-Cap was junk.  Rubber might be ok, but neither piece fit and had to be modified to fit.  Plus it didn't come with anything to attach it to the tractor so 3M window and trim seal adhesive was used.   

21585.jpeg

21586.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Auction time got me again. Picked this up Friday just south of Chicago. 

It will probably go on the 986 or 1086 as a backup loader.  It has the hay spear as well that is quick change with the bucket. 

25112.jpeg

• Like 2