New Member with a 1486 that needs a lot of TLC and a 986, 1086, 1586, and a 7130

B.B.

1979, the hight of the disco era Lol! Hey Brian since you know your way over here I could've sold you a 1979, 1086 & 1486 back in December. Sold both. Only 86 series tractors I've got left is a 686 & 786. Not planning on getting rid of those. Did buy another Hydro 70 D this past weekend, so get rid of a couple, buy one. You know the cycle lol!

You going to continue to fix the other 1486 or are you going to get rid of it?

5 hours ago, B.B. said:

Haha I'm now officially done....  

I've said it so it must be true.... you all believe me right? 

IMAG4164.jpg

They don’t make them anymore so get all ya can and can all ya get!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

You going to continue to fix the other 1486 or are you going to get rid of it?

Probably going to sell it to help pay towards this one.  Don't have a whole lot in it so I might just keep it for parts too.  The turbo would sound good on my 986 :)

• Like 1

If you ever have the desire/need to cash in on those, just load 'em up and send them to Western New York. You'll easily double your money.

A $6000 tractor out in the midwest is a $12000 tractor here.  It is/was dairy country and all the small farms around trashed these tractors. Nice ones are a dime a dozen out there. Cab doors are a luxury around here.

I'll take the 7130 as a finder's/broker fee.

7 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I'll take the 7130 as a finder's/broker fee.

From my cold dead hands... :)

I'm just building up my Kid's inheritance is all... :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

If you ever have the desire/need to cash in on those, just load 'em up and send them to Western New York. You'll easily double your money.

A $6000 tractor out in the midwest is a $12000 tractor here.  It is/was dairy country and all the small farms around trashed these tractors. Nice ones are a dime a dozen out there. Cab doors are a luxury around here.

I've noticed that trend.  The big farmers around here don't use them much and fewer and fewer small guys around, but up in PA, and NY it seems there must yet be several smaller farms and folks still have use for little 125-150hp tractors.   125-150hp tractor I still consider pretty big, but compared to today's tractors it's nothing. 

My plan is to keep my 986, 1086, this new 1486, and my 1586 for my IH tractor collection.   I will obviously keep the 7130 too as it's just such a nice tractor to operate.   I've toyed with the idea of selling all these 86 series except maybe the 986 and then looking for another Magnum but I really don't need but one tractor to mow with.  And if worse came to worse I could take the loader off my Bi-Di and mow with it.  No doubt it would pull the batwing well, it's just a pain to put the loader back on. 

• Like 1

Well, if you decide to sell them let us know. Someone on here might be interested. 

16 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

You need a D360 powered 886 to round out the collection, though.

You're killing me Smalls.....  LOL

and a 686, and H86, and a 786, 4386, 4586, and a 4786....  

• Like 1

Someone told me there was a gas 686 at Okawville IL consignment sale last Saturday with 1200hrs that looked immaculate. Sold for $12K

I always liked the looks of a 786 but have never run one. There was a cool FWA one at RPRU in IA 2017. 

BE8D7FE3-10AE-47E7-B192-0E0442932A3F_zps

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Someone told me there was a gas 686 at Okawville IL consignment sale last Saturday with 1200hrs that looked immaculate. Sold for $12K

12K for a gas tractor??? Yikes!    Guess you got a good deal on yours then huh? :)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I always liked the looks of a 786 but have never run one. There was a cool FWA one at RPRU in IA 2017. 

BE8D7FE3-10AE-47E7-B192-0E0442932A3F_zps

Like the looks of a 786 in general? Or a FWA one?

17 minutes ago, B.B. said:

12K for a gas tractor??? Yikes!    Guess you got a good deal on yours then huh? :)

I paid plenty for mine but it was what I wanted (312 diesel) and fairly low houred.  

Just now, Reichow7120 said:

Like the looks of a 786 in general? Or a FWA one?

I think they are interesting in general and like most people, the FWA just have a mean look in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I think they are interesting in general and like most people, the FWA just have a mean look in my opinion. 

Like this ;). (Yeah we have one) Dad and Grandpa bought it new in November 1982. Has over 8000 hrs on it now. 

20170911_131528.thumb.jpg.d520686d8f7fd041c5018fe4af9cfb1d.jpg

• Like 1

My 686 has 3219hrs as I type this. I think the 786 is a lot heavier machine but for most of what I’m doing the 6 is fine for me.

Dont tell anyone, ? but I do hope to add a 1086 in the future, not because I just want a 10 but my Grandfather’s 1086. It has 4260hrs on it and was the largest tractor he ever purchased and quite possibly the only new tractor he ever purchased. He passed away late last year so hopefully in near future I will get an opportunity to buy it.  

E0DA5566-8CB7-48FD-AEF5-45E8DC5D9E5E.jpeg

33B74DCC-12FC-4E92-81A8-14DF2BEC5DB0.jpeg

Original paint and I believe original tires. The dealer didn’t have any IH duals when he went to purchase it but did have the white DMI duals which have never been off of it as far as I know. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I think the 786 is a lot heavier machine but for most of what I’m doing the 6 is fine for me.

Yeah, a 786 has more in common with the 886s on up than a 686 which if i remember correctly is a descendant of the 656. 786 is the 16 speed like the bigger tractors. (With TA). We call it the 80 hp tractor that doesn't know its a 80 hp tractor. You lose traction before you lose power with it. 

I hope you get your 1086. We used to have a 986 that was traded for our first 7120 Magnum. Love the Magnum but at times i wished we could have kept it and got the Magnum both. Its why I enjoy this thread. It brings back memories of growing up in the 90s on our farm. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

My 686 has 3219hrs as I type this. I think the 786 is a lot heavier machine but for most of what I’m doing the 6 is fine for me.

Dont tell anyone, ? but I do hope to add a 1086 in the future, not because I just want a 10 but my Grandfather’s 1086. It has 4260hrs on it and was the largest tractor he ever purchased and quite possibly the only new tractor he ever purchased. He passed away late last year so hopefully in near future I will get an opportunity to buy it.  

E0DA5566-8CB7-48FD-AEF5-45E8DC5D9E5E.jpeg

33B74DCC-12FC-4E92-81A8-14DF2BEC5DB0.jpeg

Original paint and I believe original tires. The dealer didn’t have any IH duals when he went to purchase it but did have the white DMI duals which have never been off of it as far as I know. 

I hope you wind up with your Grandfather’s tractor. There is something special about a “family” tractor. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Cool1566 said:

I hope you wind up with your Grandfather’s tractor. There is something special about a “family” tractor. 

Agreed, plus a 1086 is the best tractor IH ever made so it has that going for it as well! :)

11 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Its why I enjoy this thread. It brings back memories of growing up in the 90s on our farm. 

:)  Glad I can at least entertain someone with all this nonsense....   I have certainly went from one tractor to several and have even sold a couple in the last two years.    

I truly never thought anything about having a magnum.  And if you'd of asked me two years ago, I am not sure I would of wanted one.  I also didn't think I'd have more than one of these 86 series tractors..... 

The good news is like many hobbies if it ever ceases to be fun I can sell out and move on.  I'll always own a few tractors though as I do need a couple around the farm for chores. 

The small farm I own was my grandfather's with another 40 acre field being my great grandfather's.  I'm the 4th generation Baker to own it.  The largest tractor dad ever had was a Minnie Mo U302 Gas that he didn't really use much as it was about wore out when he got it.   My grandfather farmed this place with a Allis WC, RC, WD, and he bought an Oliver super 55 new in 56 along with a baler, and plow.   He milked Jersey Cows, and at times worked off the farm to make ends meet.  He passed when I was only 5 so I don't have many memories of him, and never met my great grandfather.   

Dad had a little White 2-35 that he used the most.  Dad always worked off the farm as well as farmed too.  He had several Allis B and C tractors that he used here and there.   In 2007 I bought him a White 2-55 that we cut hay with and really was our "big horse" for the farm.  It was much easier using it than it was the smaller 35 for that task. 

I tell you all this to paint the picture that to me a 986 is a big tractor!  It's 100 hp for Pete's sake! :)  So that Magnum is just absolutely huge to me!   I almost bought a 1586 at a local JD dealer about 12 years ago.  It was on the lot for 6K and I was tempted, but it only had 1K pto, and I didn't realize it could be easily changed to the dual unit.  I finally decided it was just too big for this farm!  Dad was still around then and I'm sure he would of said "it's too big, it will use too much fuel etc" :) I wonder sometimes what he would think now?  I knew a few years ago when I bought my NH TV140 it was huge, but I've gotten used to the size and after opening up a few road ways and passages it fits just fine!  I think dad would of liked that tractor and used it even though it was "too big". 

I can tell you mowing in a cab with AC on my 1586 is a heck of a lot better than on an open station White 2-35 with a 6ft mower!  We don't plant any crops anymore but I've planted what seems like a lot of corn with that old WD and a 2 row planter.   I absolutely hated that old tractor and did a little dance when I watched it go down the driveway a few years ago! :)

• Like 1

A few pics.  Mentioned in the previous post.  

TC45Dad.jpg

My dad trying out the new tires and wheels I put on my TC45D.  The R4 tires are worthless in mud or snow. 

TC45Baler .jpg

I liked using my own TC45D a lot better than Dad's 2-35 white to bale with.  Live pto and hydro transmission were mush easier.  Plus it had shade! 

White 2-35.jpg

Dad's 2-35 White.  I sold it after dad passed.  Mom couldn't hardly stand to see it, and you couldn't get parts for it.  

NH%20TV%20140.jpeg

My TV140 the day I brought it home.  I was so proud of this tractor!  Still am! :)

Cub%20782.jpg

This is the little tractor that started my love for IH.  It's an original paint 782 built in late 1979 :)

Last pic is of my dad and I when I was little.  He had widened the rear rims of that 2-35 to put larger tires on it. 

Dad and I.jpg

• Like 3