IH 1456

Long Farms

3 hours ago, Eason said:

I prefer 11 x 16

I agree, but I've often wondered if the 11.00 16s and 14L 16 wore out the front end components faster.

Steve I don't know. Our 856 had a good tight from end. But it never had a front end loader on it while we had it. Only twin 110 gallon saddle spray tanks.

9 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

I agree, but I've often wondered if the 11.00 16s and 14L 16 wore out the front end components faster.

I always thought if anything the big front rubber would keep the front end from walking around and keep it tighter.

Seems most installed big fronts for loader work or saddle tanks, going to say that is what wore the front end, IH probably could have beefed up the front end from the get go, was not a IH front axle fan until the '88 series got the Magnum style axle.

Big fronts do not wear out anything quicker. The larger the tire the less air pressure needed hence more give in the tire. Basically the difference between steel wheels or air tires. My one 1486 has had 16.5Lx16.1's or 14L' s on it since new and it is the best front axle we have. Never been touched and nothing loose.

Thanks for all the answers on big front rubber. I guess what got me wondering was a 1456 that I ran a little about 40 years ago. It had 11.00 16s on it and some looseness in the front end, and I wondered if the big tires put more leverage on the wearing parts. But I didn't know the tractor from new, so it may have just had a rough life without much maintenance.

Dad almost traded for a used 4520 once (guess it's a good thing he didn't). It had 14L 16s on the front, and I thought that was the baddest looking machine I'd ever seen. It did have one cool front axle, I have to say.

• 6 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 3:46 PM, Long Farms said:

Wasnt happy with how tight the tilt was so i tore into it and made a few changes. Pretty tight now! Added emblems from Jeff Foreman, blasted, primed and repainted the pre cleaner. Installed a clutch assist. Mucho easier on the knees. 

20170923_145404.jpg

20170923_151558.jpg

20170923_145356.jpg

20170923_152630.jpg

I wanted to thank you for the picture of the front weight bolts.  I remembered seeing that when you posted it a while back and it made it really easy for me to mount my own front weights on my "new" 986 that way.   I had hoped you had mentioned the bolt size, but if  remember they are 1/2x2.5" 

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:29 PM, Long Farms said:

Square nuts is what it originally called for but too hard and too expensive to come by. 

No one's ever gonna see it on my 9 anyway! :)

On 4/30/2018 at 3:29 PM, Long Farms said:

Square nuts is what it originally called for but too hard and too expensive to come by. 

Will be at your door tomorrow.....

Square nut.JPG

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 4/4/2019 at 7:59 PM, Rusty shackleford said:

I thought you would like this hahaScreenshot_20190404-195806_Snapchat.thumb.jpg.d01aeb69c61bb1bafddfd4c3293de231.jpg

Just now seeing this.  Pretty good.

• Haha 3