• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought you would like this haha

Just now seeing this.  Pretty good.

So, isn't somebody going to photoshop a 4520 sittin' there under that stream?  I would if I knew how.

Posted Images

Nice!

it is great to save the old girls of the past. this 1456 looks to have a chance to be a beautiful tractor again. I have a low hour 1456 that is wearing way better duds than your tractor. I just wish i had the money and get up and go to bring my 1456 up to the standard that you will end up with this tractor. I hope to see your 1456 on this site when you get done giving it a new lease on life.

This 1456 originated from Munday TX area. The current owners dad bought it in 1980 and it was his big horse till his passing. The father past away a few years ago. Would have loved to sit in a coffee shop with him and hear the history and stories about it. Typical scenario. Son has cabed mfwd kubota with loader an old iron is just that to him. He had lots of memories of it but no desire to keep it. Thats where i step in. 

As bad as it needs paint i wont do it. Ill get it mechanically and electronically sound and set it up like i normally do. The 1456 will look and be more honest unpainted. Ill try a few things to bring the paint back a little but im not expecting much. Other than paint the owners father took care of this 1456. Only thing hacked up is the battery tray to fit a single HD battery which is typical. The sway limiter is a west tx style and he said all the factory take off parts are gone. Shows 7750 hrs and clutch pefal wear goes along with that. Front axle is tight and was kept greased. Fenders are in great shape other than umbrella and radio bracket holes. Shifters are decent but need to be tightened up. Needs new fuel/temo guage. only sheetmetal missing is battery covers and alt belt cover. TA works and the brakes lock up the tires. Brake pedals have very little wear. Of course it has those crappy longbar/short bar tires I hate almost as much as DT 710s. Hyd seat and accumulator work. I like the fact this one doesnt have the massive casted wheel weights. I didnt get it on the road but rear end whine wasnt that bad. The grille is immaculate and oil cooler and radiator was kept clean and in good shape. 

Heres the plan:

Wash and degrease the tractor

Remove west tx sway limiter and install correct factory limiters. 

Install pto delete plate

Add 2nd hyd remote

Add 8 bolt hubs and 10.00x16 front wheels.

Set tires on 30" centers.

2 sets of wheel weights

12 hole weight bracket, full set of weights

Add a damn muffler

Install IH engine oil pressure gauge

Get all the lights working. 

Add correct IH hyd seat cushions. (If anyone has a decent set of IH hyd seat cushions send me a PM. White or black will work.)

Full service, all new fluids and filters. 

Fix all oil and fuel leaks. 

You won't have to worry about any grass there for 6 months or so. Were the valve stems mounted truly opposite like that or did you have to work at it?

3 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

You won't have to worry about any grass there for 6 months or so. Were the valve stems mounted truly opposite like that or did you have to work at it?

Grass might be OK,  guys I worked for in Texas had an attachment for a garden hose to fill tires therefor they used straight water.

Got lucky and both hit on bottom the same time. Im not sure what all yall put in tires up north but water and antifreeze lite wont even wilt the grass. Its August in TX anyways, that grass shouldnt be green now.

49 minutes ago, Long Farms said:

Got lucky and both hit on bottom the same time. Im not sure what all yall put in tires up north but water and antifreeze lite wont even wilt the grass. Its August in TX anyways, that grass shouldnt be green now.

Calcium chloride and water

9 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Calcium chloride and water

^^yes

8 hours ago, stronger800 said:

.....Yep, kills grass till next spring. But weeds will grow in the brown spot, in about a week. 

I guess I got a strong dose because it killed everything and stained the gravel.:)

I kinda figured it was straight water because otherwise no self-respecting kid would be standing under the stream like that. The CaCl solution I'm familiar with is generally brown and sticky, and God help ya if you get it in your eye.

Who do I write the check out to when it's done? Or, maybe I should ask who should I have written the check out to BEFORE you got your mitts on it?

I would probably forego my search for a Magnum if a field-ready 1456 popped up.

Its in progress. I hope you like the front end set on 30" because i just spent 7 hours breaking it loose and narrowing it in. After i get the rear set in ive got 8 sets of wheel weights to put on. I put on some 7.50x18 6 bolt fronts for schitz and giggles. Ive got some 8 bolt 11L15s ready to put on but i want to end up with 10.00x16s. Hard finding good used tires.