HD 7" TA Clutch and Pressure Plate In 686

FarmerFixEmUp

I am getting together a 686 that had broken the 7" TA Pressure plate and the TA clutch disc was bad as well. I got a sprag type TA, the HD 9 spring Pressure plate and the 4 pad clutch disc for it and a new TA clutch flywheel.  After getting it all together I bolted the TA housing to the rear end and tried the TA lever after connecting the linkage. That TA lever is WAY stiffer with the 9 spring pressure late over the 6 spring. And in TA it's not releasing the clutch disc. You should be able to turn the input shaft backwards in TA, and I can if I have a vise grip on the shaft, but it's very hard and the disc is dragging. Just wondering if I have a bad pressure plate. I can't even move the disc back and forth on the splines in TA.  I have a 460 split for a TA too and I can turn the shaft both ways easily in TA. So that one is releasing fine. 

When I got the pressure plate and tried to install it the fingers were out too far to get into the housing. The 3 threaded bosses for releasing the pressure plate have springs over them on this 9 spring unit. I had to press the fingers down on my hydraulic press and put cotter pins between the fingers and the lugs on the plate where they pivot. After bolting it to the flywheel the cotter pins could be pulled out. The fingers seemed to press down hard even on the hydraulic press. 

Is anyone using these and what kind of luck did you have. I thought I'd just upgrade to heavier parts, but 2 people I talked to tonight wouldn't use them again and 1 took it back out, because it makes the clutch stiffer as well. Maybe OEM parts are the way to go!

http://www.agpartsltd.com/shopping/productDetails.aspx?i=1045746

http://www.agpartsltd.com/shopping/productDetails.aspx?i=1045878

What model tractors did you have the problems in? Seems to me a 560 or similar tractor with the longer TA lever it would work better. But if the pressure plate is flexing or something that wouldn't matter. Did you use the pad type disc too? 

I would take the extra springs out also.  Assemble the clutch complete to the pressure plate before you install  in tractor and then you can make sure the levers are adjusted to the proper height and are all even.  I am not looking in the book but I seem to remember the clutch finger tips  heights, fully assembled is 3 3/8th inches when sitting on a flat surface. At any rate , those finger should be sitting nice and flat, parallel to pressure plate, not the tips of the fingers, but the flat lever part. 

Also, make sure, which I am sure you have but just a double check, that the ta planetary gears turn freely forward and back before assembling the ta clutch. 

Some times we try to be extra good to a tractor and it turns out to not be what it is cracked up to be. Too many heavy duty parts as far as I am concerned because then something else farther down the power train takes the extra strain and fails. 

I talked to a tech at Ag Parts this morning and he said that pressure plate was meant for pulling only. I said I wish they would say that on the website or when ordering parts. I'm in the process of trying to saw off the spring retainer cups with a sawzall. Broke one blade already! 

Archived