Sign in to follow this  
lorenzo

Thiokol Snow Cat

So while I was out goofing off I ran across this neat little machine in the woods.

It has been sitting for several years and the current owner said something happened to the steering and he never looked into the cause.

It looks like it going to need some tires and wheels at the very least and for sure some plugs, points, belts, hoses, carb kit, fuel tank cleaned ,ECT...ECT...

It has a six cylinder Ford and an automatic transmission.  Looks like It will need some drive line parts.

Does any one recognize this model?  I would like to find out whats available for it because I'm going to buy it for a restoration project.

If it's a white elephant and nothing is available then I might pass on it.

Image 8-14-17 at 11.03 AM (2).jpg

Image 8-14-17 at 11.03 AM (1).jpg

Image 8-14-17 at 11.03 AM.jpg

I couldn't find a model number Identification tag but I probably just didn't know where to look.

I bet your right Dave.  Someone else said Super imp.

Wish I had a manual for it.

I can just see that crusing the streets on it`s way to the coffee shop. 

Owner know if the TA`s out of it?

I like it also. 

I don't know anything about the model but it does look like an interesting project.  

It's probably a Sprite or an Imp.The steering bands are easily accessed through the big plate on the back of the rear transaxle once you drop the axle out. Gears for the transaxle are virtually impossible to find, the one I overhauled for a buddy took 3 years to get a new ring and pinion. Once it's running it's just about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on! Pads across floating muskeg that you can't walk on. Yours is a newer version, the one I fixed had a Ford Courier V6 engine, hard to get any parts for it. Yours looks like a Falcon straight 6, 144-170-200 cubes. Any parts house has everything you'll ever need for it.

Very cool little machines. I'd love to have one here on the farm just to play with!

Rick

We had one years ago in the snowmobile club I belonged to ours was a imp had a v4 ford industrial in it we swapped out for a 200 Strait six and automatic out of a ford fairmont that still went into the 3 speed rear end in 3rd in the back it would do almost 35  we couldn't keep the chassis together trying to pull a trail drag to flatten the trails  I think someone said the rear was from a oc3 

That sounds correct. The 2100's I think had the 300 Ford and OC6 rears. I could fit ok in a 2100. The Spryte was a tad cramped. Claustrophobic, actually. 

Pretty sure it's a Thiokol DMC 1450 Super IMP  with a 200 straight 6 Ford industrial motor and an automatic transmission driving an OC-12 rear end.

Production dates are 1978 to mid 80's  and I'm hearing less then 400 made of this model.

Still seams to be a reasonably good selection of parts available through various individuals so Im going to go look at it again this weekend.

Should have some more pictures next week.

Stacy David cleaned one of those up on his show Gearz.  His had the V-4 engine.  He got all the engine parts he needed from Napa or one of his other sponsors.  Carb kit, plugs, points, condenser, gaskets, etc.

The John Blue detasseling machines the seed corn company I worked for bought to chop/cut the tassels off had the V-4 Ford engines and matching 4-speed manual trans.  Took a lot of hp to run that huge hyd pump and move that thing up/down muddy hills.  There were Ford blue painted engines and black engines,  one color ran O-K,  the other color ran like a V-8!  They sure beat the heck out of pulling tassels by hand.

29 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Stacy David cleaned one of those up on his show Gearz.  His had the V-4 engine.  He got all the engine parts he needed from Napa or one of his other sponsors.  Carb kit, plugs, points, condenser, gaskets, etc.

The John Blue detasseling machines the seed corn company I worked for bought to chop/cut the tassels off had the V-4 Ford engines and matching 4-speed manual trans.  Took a lot of hp to run that huge hyd pump and move that thing up/down muddy hills.  There were Ford blue painted engines and black engines,  one color ran O-K,  the other color ran like a V-8!  They sure beat the heck out of pulling tassels by hand.

Those were put in a model 1404 and had a smaller rear end and transmission.

( According to the people I have contacted about this and sent these pictures to).

Im being told the 1450 model was sold to utility companies and that fits into what the owner has told me about it.

There was a company called Peterson that was a factory outlet for parts but sold the entire remaining supply to a guy in Utah. He now has the original paperwork that will get me the build sheet and name of the original owner. All he needs is the serial number which I plan to get this weekend when I drive back out there.

Having that little bit of information  regarding the history will be really nice to have In My Opinion.

Im pretty excited about it and figure I can throw about as much money at it as an old tractor or Maybe even more  LOL.

I should be able to get it back to usable condition and only have about four times what its worth instead of five like my 560.

• Haha 1

Yeah, but when the new global cooling trend sets in, you'll be prepared. :)  Here's one in Maine they want $25,000 for. https://maine.craigslist.org/snw/d/thiokol-imp-snowcat-groomer/6246559935.html  I was parts manager for a Bombardier dealership back in the 80's and have always had a soft spot for industrial snow machines.

4 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Pretty sure it's a Thiokol DMC 1450 Super IMP  with a 200 straight 6 Ford industrial motor and an automatic transmission driving an OC-12 rear end.

Production dates are 1978 to mid 80's  and I'm hearing less then 400 made of this model.

Still seams to be a reasonably good selection of parts available through various individuals so Im going to go look at it again this weekend.

Should have some more pictures next week.

Wouldn't an OC12 rear be enormous for that machine?

3 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Yeah, but when the new global cooling trend sets in, you'll be prepared. :)  Here's one in Maine they want $25,000 for. https://maine.craigslist.org/snw/d/thiokol-imp-snowcat-groomer/6246559935.html  I was parts manager for a Bombardier dealership back in the 80's and have always had a soft spot for industrial snow machines.

That is the smaller one .

4 hours ago, Dave Shepard said:

Wouldn't an OC12 rear be enormous for that machine?

No,   This is an OC-12 rear end from a 1450 snocat .

599352947ee19_Image8-15-17at2_58PM.jpg.e9bd3a441551fcd21bdd62a8c2897241.jpg

Sorry,  The previous photo was a special gear reduction option I guess.

This photo is the OC-12 from a 1450 .

that OC12 rear is not the one that the Imp I fixed up had , it was more like a box shape. Oh, and I reread my post above, should say V4 not V6 engine. Top gear was pretty much useless!

The ski area that I used to work at in the winters had a wall with all the gaskets for that rear drawn out on it and many still in stock. They had an incredible parts room. They would often get a new cat in and strip it down and rebuild completely. That was before me. They were buying late model Bombardier cats when I worked there. 

59 minutes ago, R Pope said:

that OC12 rear is not the one that the Imp I fixed up had , it was more like a box shape. Oh, and I reread my post above, should say V4 not V6 engine. Top gear was pretty much useless!

This is the rear end for an IMP 1404  rather then the Super Imp 1450 pictured in the other post.

5993538e91f57_Image8-15-17at3_01PM.thumb.jpg.389cbb0e3e2ccb554f624ce92fe66d34.jpg

I'd love to have something like that,  but I can tell you that you can spend a LOT of money on that kind of equipment.   Friend of mine had a Nodwell and spent $30,000 getting it fixed up right.   A lot of the real high dollar stuff is track related, especially because people will skip maintaining them because of parts expense so a weak part will take out another one that should have been fine.

There's a guy around Anchorage that buys up scrap SUSVs from the army and uses them for parts.  He gets $20,000 for a bare engine block for them, although they are a bit more modern machine that was also sold to civilians.     

Check out this forum,  very cool site and has everything from antique cat restoration to some of more modern cats.

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/forumdisplay.php?f=66&order=desc&page=2

i beleave its a Thiokol 1450. Which it would have a ford inline 6 with a c4 auto trans. Also would have an OC12 trans axel in it. Looks like it’s all there. This is a desirable cat to own for a low budget being the biggest dollers spent on tracks and trans axel. BTW the OC12  was also in the Oliver OC-12 crawler.  If your buddy what’s to sell it he can make some decent money posting on this snocat forum.

Great little buggy but don't go crazy and expect it to pull anything, and do NOT put a blade on it! Go ahead, ask me how I know that......

I have a Thiokol 1404, and yes these have a light tubing frame. I myself won’t install a blade on it.  R Pope on one of your previous posts showed an OC_4  which  had it’s issues.  Pictures from a distance, 1404 and 1450 look the same.