1966 Mercury F700 / 1986 IH S1954 Hybrid

What kind of bed is it getting?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Update - It’s been a long time since I added to the board here...sorry!

Not too many updates.  I took the truck on a 6hr round trip.  It’s pretty comfortable on the highway.  It runs pretty nice at 2000rpm at 65mph now.  It seems to be a nice spot for the DT466 to run at

Posted Images

I am not too sure - out of energy/out of funds for the time being!  

I was first thinking about a flat deck, but I have been wondering about maybe just a steel plate over the frame rails, the entire length of the truck.  I like the truck looking like a small highway tractor.   I plan to put a gooseneck/fifth wheel on in and pull a camper. 

image.jpeg.0228c4acca57fe101ef9472291e27d47.jpeg

This photo was on the forum a while back - seems like inspiration, but I am not sure if wood is my style.  The truck is stunning though.

5685A796-5B84-43E8-A119-5D57D3B5756B.jpeg.205d7bc6fca34c94295f049de5171432.jpeg

On 7/27/2020 at 2:06 PM, Sask466 said:

I am not too sure - out of energy/out of funds for the time being!  

I was first thinking about a flat deck, but I have been wondering about maybe just a steel plate over the frame rails, the entire length of the truck.  I like the truck looking like a small highway tractor.   I plan to put a gooseneck/fifth wheel on in and pull a camper. 

image.jpeg.0228c4acca57fe101ef9472291e27d47.jpeg

This photo was on the forum a while back - seems like inspiration, but I am not sure if wood is my style.  The truck is stunning though.

5685A796-5B84-43E8-A119-5D57D3B5756B.jpeg.205d7bc6fca34c94295f049de5171432.jpeg

If you do the frame like that first pic that would be pretty dang sweet

• 1 month later...

Not too many updates.  I took the truck on a 6hr round trip.  It’s pretty comfortable on the highway.  It runs pretty nice at 2000rpm at 65mph now.  It seems to be a nice spot for the DT466 to run at - at least with just the truck and no trailer.  

I got 14mpg, mostly at 65 to 70mph and maybe one shot to 89mph...  I was pretty happy with that mileage.  The old 466 is pretty much as fuel efficient as a new truck that size.  

The electric fans are doing well.  It was 30degC (85F) for most of the trip and the engine never swayed from 180F.  No big hills here, and again wasn’t pulling anything.

The engine seemed to have a slight miss/unevenness between 1000 to 1500rpm.  It also seems very intolerant of lugging.  If you idle it down around a corner and then gently get back in the throttle it has a slight shuddering feeling.  I am talking no load and low speeds - not what you would typically call “lugging”.

I think it is the injectors.  Before I did that trip, I dumped a bottle of Stanadyne supplement and a bottle of 2-stroke oil in the tank.   After driving about 2 hours, I was happily surprised to see most of that miss cleared up.  The low rpm lug/shudder has mostly cleared up too.  I’m not sure if it’s the fuel concoction I put in, or the running for 2hrs straight at load.  It’s probably mostly the running under load, but who knows.

When I get some time and more cash, I will do the injectors.  Any tips on injectors?  Should I buy rebuilds and do core returns? Should I have a local shop test/rebuild the ones I have?  Just curious if there are any quality issues with injectors that I should be aware of.

1F754065-1ADA-455F-B823-C3D1918E5C79.jpeg

• Like 7