Sign in to follow this  
Sask466

1966 Mercury F700 / 1986 IH S1954 Hybrid

Hey All,

This isn't fully an IH project, but it's at least 2/3rds, so I figured this was a good place to post.

Background:

I have an old cab and hood from a 1965 (66?) Mercury F700 and chassis from an '86 S1954.  It's a DT466 with a 5&2 Spicer setup.  I am in the process of mounting the Merc cab onto the IH chassis.  The IH had a 236" wheelbase, which I have shorted to abound 160".

Before anyone blasts me for desecrating such a rare and beautiful beast as a S1900, the IH had rolled onto its side - the passenger side was pushed in a bit, and it got wrote-off.  

IMG_1097.JPG

IMG_0957.JPG

• Like 3

I had to mount the radiator down about 10" and I made an expansion tank.  I will have to run electric fans.  I don't plan on hauling heavy loads at low speeds, so I will start with the biggest/best Spal 16" electric fan and install a 2nd if required. At that point the alternator would need some sizing-up, so I will play that one as it comes.

IMG_0344.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

awesome!!!

Based on a different discussion on this forum, I was curious if anyone could give me some guesses on what this will end up weighing?  I plan on leaving it bare frame for now, and putting steel fuel tanks under each door (the ones with steps built into them).  

I am guessing 8000lbs, but I wonder if it could be lower.  The old Mercury tin is pretty light.

For anyone that may wonder about the truck being a Mercury.  It seems like most all medium duty trucks from the 1960's are Mercury's vs Fords up here in Canada.   Even a large percentage of 1/2tons seemed this way too.  Seemed like only a 60's thing in Canada.

I like the looks a lot so far.  What is your intended end use for it?  Hauler? Cruiser? Tow rig?  Looks like it could do any or all of those B)

• Like 1

I think I will finish it just as a cab and chassis and leaving for a year or two and then go from there.  I picture it with a flatbed ultimately.  Mostly a cruiser though.

I think I will turn up the pump a little.  It's a 180hp tag on the engine currently.  I have put a S2E turbo on it.  I don't want to go wild on the pump though - the truck runs like a top and I don't want to mess that up.

Mercury trucks were built from the war up to '72 or so. We had a '72 pickup. They were sold by Lincoln- Mercury dealers all across Canada. Sorta like Fargo and the Plymouth dealers, although there actually were some Plymouth trucks made pre-war.

That ol' Slick is gonna surprise some truckers when you hit the highway!

11 minutes ago, R Pope said:

Mercury trucks were built from the war up to '72 or so. We had a '72 pickup. They were sold by Lincoln- Mercury dealers all across Canada. Sorta like Fargo and the Plymouth dealers, although there actually were some Plymouth trucks made pre-war.

That ol' Slick is gonna surprise some truckers when you hit the highway!

Yeah, it's funny how you have a hard time finding old Ford medium duties from that era.  Even the old school busses I have found are Mercurys.

About the highway comment - it brings up an issue/item.  The 2 speed rear is a 4.89/6.50 and the 5 speed direct combo is so not terribly slow, but not terribly fast either.  It will be a happy truck at 60mph, but screaming at 70mph.  It's spring ride, so I'm not sure how fast I will be blistering down our Sask roads anyway.  I think that Spicer rear could be found with a 4.11 carrier, but I think they are pretty rare. 

Eventually, I may convert to air-ride and a faster single speed rear, but I am trying to build this in bite-size chunks.  That would leave me with a 5 speed with strange gear splits too.  Another option would be to find a newer 6speed syncro with overdrive or an old 6610 or 6613.  I used to drive highway trucks so I like the idea of rowing through straight-cut gears for nostalgia.  Final option would be to find an old 4 speed aux box with overdrive.  Not sure where I will land.  I am starting with a combination that works quite well.  I could still drive the IH, so I know it's all in working order.

• Like 1

I put quite a few miles on a newer 4700 with a 6 speed synchro. It seems like that combo would serve you well because it would shift easy for cruising and have enough gears to pull if you want to. That truck didn't like much more than 70mph and was stock with a 12' steel flat bed. Not sure the rear end gears. 

The nostalga comment would lead to some fun also. No worries about it getting stolen that way :)  As my mechanic buddy says "if it's got 3 pedals people don't know what to do"

• Like 1

It’s been a while since I posted.  I am in the process of building a new doghouse in the floor to fit the 466.  The 331 that was originally in front of the Mercury cab was a tad smaller!

2D4D84F7-8C80-4706-8663-3070F43AB4BA.thumb.jpeg.9a4c398b4b182a070d1044aa0f2d53dc.jpegEB942EC0-2167-487F-92BA-9B7817E04E8D.thumb.jpeg.c22813d62d2e42a9d7291bbbde2b437d.jpeg

• Like 4

Excellent looking metal work!

• Like 1

How do you say Nice in Canadian? 

• Like 2

On 8/11/2017 at 12:39 PM, Sask466 said:

Another picture with the fenders set on.

IMG_0215.JPG

Wow, I like....Looks like first hwy. plow truck I used back in '73 , a Ford 6000? with 3208 Cat w/5+2.

Cool project👍👍👍

That is really cool.

Thanks for the comments folks.  One part of this project I wish could be different is the engine fan.  The fan on these engines are mounted quite high, and I ran into a clearance issue with the lower Mercury hood.  I lowered the radiator about 5” and rebuilt a coolant tank.  

I am going to run two 16” electric fans instead and beef up the alternator.  I don’t plan on working this truck that hard, but I know it won’t probably cool like it would with the big mechanical fan.

Did the COE trucks run the same fan?  I wonder if they had a lower mounted fan?  I know some engines did for COE trucks, but I haven’t been able to find anything for 466’s.

• Like 1

Cargostars used a lower fan mount but you have to change front covers its a different water pump also . With all that IH that cab is finally going to be on a truck!!!

That's going to be a Bitchin truck when your done! 

Please keep the pictures coming along the way.

• Like 1

I found a video from last year, right after I put on the S2E turbo.  I was told on here that the S2E has a nice whistle vs the 3LM, and I think redpower forums was right again!

Pump is stock and governs at about 2600rpm.  I gave it a quick trip to the governor.  No fan to make any noise either - pure unadulterated 466c goodness!

• Like 1

Update - It’s been a long time since I added to the board here...sorry!

0B2C2AA8-A511-46ED-8DDB-4E2C65DCA9AB.jpeg

• Like 11

Beautiful,beautiful build. It needs one of those Super Duty reverse hood scoops some of them came with. Love the color.

• Like 2

Thanks!   I actually scored one of those hood scoops at a wrecker off an old 50’s Super Duty that was headed to the crusher.  I will probably add it later!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, exSW said:

Beautiful,beautiful build. It needs one of those Super Duty reverse hood scoops some of them came with. Love the color.

I’ve got one in parts storage also. I love the offset look. Was going to use it on a pickup but that project is gone. 

Truck looks very nice!  It is scaled nicely and looks like it was meant to be. Good work!

• Like 1