H4 mag,,,timing of rotor gears

Service manual says to line up the "L" mark on the big gear with the mark on the small gear. The "L" mark is for counter clockwise rotation. If the mag is use in something with clockwise rotation, you use the "R" mark, but it says to use the "L".

George

on trucker1 advise I popped all 7 of my spare h4 mags apart to double check the timing marks. 2 were correct for diesel with CCW rotation, 1 was for CW rotation and 4 were way out in outer space on the timing. also note that only one shiney silver mag of the 3 mags I bought on ebay was timed for the diesel rotation. no wonder I would get mad and the cat won't start and toss the mag aside, then bolt another one on only to have the same problem. today all 7 parts mags are now timed correctly thansk to this BB and trucker1.

KoO

timing H4 mag rotor aug 09 2017 002.jpg

timing H4 mag rotor aug 09 2017 003.jpg

timing H4 mag rotor aug 09 2017 005.jpg

Hi KoO  Have  you checked the rotation of the impulse on the mags.  If some came off a gas engine depending the engine it was on it could have a different rotation, and it still may not work on your application.  Just a thought.

Cheers Russ

Here is a service manual for IH mags

GSS-5035 Service Manual Magnetos

598da3014315c_Page01.thumb.jpg.c6076baab364353f960e1c8e9a3a8a6d.jpg

598da373c543c_Page55.thumb.jpg.881304ee91cb0414e233ac4e5b5d4803.jpg

7 hours ago, russ600 said:

Hi KoO  Have  you checked the rotation of the impulse on the mags.  If some came off a gas engine depending the engine it was on it could have a different rotation, and it still may not work on your application.  Just a thought.

Cheers Russ

that is ok, I have 2 gas motor cats int he Kingdom and learned a long time ago that the mags are different rotation. right now i'm learning all I can on mags so I become the King of Mags. plus everything will be done in house because i'm tired of buying rebuilt mags to find out they are timed wrong or don't work.

KoO

Archived