DT Engine Torque Figures

Sask466

Hey All,

This is a general curiousity question.  What engine torque figures did the DT series engines produce?  That era didn't seem to focus on advertising torque figures much. I am curious what kind of torque these engines produced, and at what RPM.   Is it correct to assume most of these engines produced peak hp around 2400rpm, or was it higher?

I know this is a fairly non-specific question - for interests sake let's say a 1586 (436) and/or a 5288 or 5488 (466).  These engines have a fair bit of crankshaft stroke, so I would expect they must have had petty nice torque figures.

I don't have the figures here before me, but  all of the 400 series engines had a torque rise chart in the tune up specifications. It would run anywhere from about a 17 percent to 25 percent torque rise from rated engine speed to overload speed.  IH pushed the fuel rater pretty hard where you were to test the horsepower and torque rise using the fuel rater to see if the engine was developing the correct horse power and torque rise with the specified amount of fuel being used.  The fuel rater was hooked into fuel system and through various electrical solenoids etc, the rater was filled with fuel while running engine,    then the test was started. You pulled engine to rated rpm, threw the switch on fuel rater and the stop watch would time how long in seconds it took to burn a quart or two of fuel.  Same test at over load speed which was usually about 1800 rpm.  Of course, everybody wants more horse power than factory rated so most of the time the figures were just thrown out the window and a lot of guess work took over. Monitoring exhaust temperatures, boost pressures and horse power was more of a standard procedure. 

According to IH documents for Truck, Industrial, and Ag use:

D360: 108hp@2500rpm, 130hp@3000rpm, 263ft-lb of torque

D414: 124hp@2500rpm, 149hp@3000rpm, 302ft-lb of torque

D436: 131hp@2500rpm, 157hp@3000rpm, 318ft-lb of torque

D466: 150hp@2800rpm, 340ft-lb of torque

DT360: 159hp@2500rpm, 191hp@3000rpm, 382ft-lb of torque

DT414: 181hp@2500rpm, 218hp@3000rpm, 440ft-lb of torque

DT436: 193hp@2500rpm, 231hp@3000rpm, 463ft-lb of torque

DT466: 205hp@2500rpm, 495ft-lb of torque

The chart doesn't specifically say, but I believe those values are measured at the engine crankshaft.

The rated horsepower occurs at rated engine speed.  The peak torque wouldn't occur at the same speed.  Their chart did not provide the engine speed for peak torque, I simply listed the torque in the same line as horsepower to make it clear which engine size it belonged to.  You've indirectly proved that the engine has torque rise; peak torque at its rpm is higher than the torque available at the engine's peak power speed; the engine only generates 430ft-lb of torque at 2500rpm.  So, it appears to have about 13-15% torque rise from rated speed to whatever speed the peak torque occurs at.

My DT 466 has 2108 ft lbs of torque , big fun ??

Danny 

4 hours ago, chadd said:

The rated horsepower occurs at rated engine speed.  The peak torque wouldn't occur at the same speed.  Their chart did not provide the engine speed for peak torque, I simply listed the torque in the same line as horsepower to make it clear which engine size it belonged to.  You've indirectly proved that the engine has torque rise; peak torque at its rpm is higher than the torque available at the engine's peak power speed; the engine only generates 430ft-lb of torque at 2500rpm.  So, it appears to have about 13-15% torque rise from rated speed to whatever speed the peak torque occurs at.

OK, I misread your chart as I thought it was torque at the speed indicated.  I did a lot of torque rise readings with the dynamometer so am familiar with it.

Archived