Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1967ihtruck

Truck won't start

My 67 ih 1100b 304 engine won't start I have plenty of fire and gasoline but it is yet to start. I have put new points, a new ignition coil, plugs and plug wires. What's the next thing to look for

First, a few details. Did it run before you put the plugs, points, etc., in it? Does it pop or bang, or just roll over with no sign of firing?

It hasn't run in over 25 years and it  sounds like every now and then it will caugh and it will backfire once in a while

A lot can happen in 25 years! Pull the valve covers, see that all the valves are opening and closing. Do a compression test. If it checks out, try tow starting it.

You're sure the fuel pump is good? You do have to choke it, you know.

I'm putting fuel strait into the carb and yes I am choking it and yes all the valves are free. Just got back from parts store about an hour ago and I got a compression testing gauge

I do not have the fuel pump hooked up because it ain't working but I am manually filling the float bole through the vent then squirting gas strait into the carb.

And what trans did they have available in 67 that was three speed on the column. 

Where do y'all order parts from mostly 

Like I said, tow it and give it a real good spin, works great most times.

Did a compression test and had three cylinders under 110 psi with the lowest 40 and the other two 85 and 90 would that be enough to effect it that severely 

Do a leakdown test on the 40 pound cylinder. Pressure it up and listen for where the air is going. If it's rings, it should still run. Valves, well, not so much. the other two low ones will probably still fire. Squirt some oil in the plug hole and see if that makes a difference.

I did that and it helped immensely on all of them but the 40 pound one and it went down to 25. Now all I can think of is that it is firing late but the distributor cap can only go on one way and I do not know how to adjust it

I had one cylinder go from 85 psi to 215 psi after the oil

edit replied to wrong thread

How do you time it because that is the only other thing I can come up with

SV8 engines are timed on the #8 cylinder

Remove #8 plug and insert cork or cap tightly in plug hole , Disconnect battery,clean off timing marks on front pulley and timing cover.

With socket and ratchet turn engine from lower pulley bolt (clockwise from front)

when the cork pops out watch the timing marks ,turn engine slowly until it is lined up at 0 degrees

The engine is now at Top Dead Center #8 on compression stroke.

Take note of #8 plug wire position on distributor cap, remove cap , the rotor should be lined up with

the #8 plug wire ,   If close ,loosen distributor clamp and turn distributor until lined up, If way off

distributor must be picked up far enough to unmesh the drive gear and repositioned .

Care must be taken when replacing distributor that it fully seats in its home ( SV's are easy)

Some turning of the engine may help the dizzy drop back in correctly . The shaft also drives oil pump.

Put cap back in hole and recheck your work ,The engine will require 2 full turns to be back on TDC #8 again .

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:59 PM, 1967ihtruck said:

And what trans did they have available in 67 that was three speed on the column. 

Where do y'all order parts from mostly 

Our '66 1100 with the 304 has a four on the floor. Our '67 1300 has 4 on the floor plus overdrive.

5 hours ago, 660 driver said:

Our '67 1300 has 4 on the floor plus overdrive.

5 speed T34 Trans or an auxiliary overdrive

14 hours ago, Kevingweq said:

5 speed T34 Trans or an auxiliary overdrive

I'm not even sure yet. We have to go over and pick it up but the previous owner said 4 speed with overdrive so I'm guessing its the aux drive you listed. That being said it doesn't mean it isn't just a straight 5 speed. Either way it will be quite a beast with the 345 V-8.

I got the truck to run but it idles really rough and when I try to accelerate it it dies. It has a new fuel pump new plugs and plug wires. All the valves are opening and closing right. Ps if u didn't read earlier up it is a 1967 304 

Take the carburetor apart and clean all the little passages 

Went out this morning and it wasn't doing that but it wasn't doing that but i adjusted the distributor and it runs smoother but the toms go up and down not all the way up but up and then down and if I rev it up it revs but it still goes up and down what is it

sounds like a dirty carburetor ,,  possibly in combination with a sticky distributor advance , Either the mechanical and or vacuum .