Sign in to follow this  
brewcrew

Choppers

If I had at have a pull type chopper at a decent price, I would run a Deere...................I didn't expect to see the fans for Gehl's come out of the woodwork, they worked but nothing to write home about, atleast the smaller ones that everyone around me bought.  I'd like to back into a new Dion pull type with a new big row crop tractor with a common rail engine and just see which I could destroy first, tractor or chopper.  

Leave the Uni in the fencerow..............A late grey and cream 800 with a Cummins might not be too bad, with a adapter to run a Deere head and a 800 series chopper..........Spent some time in a 709 with a 767 chopper, I think you could put haylage up faster with a Lawnboy, and in corn with those stupid NI wide narrow heads you work on the head half the day, get it to the field, place 2 stakes..............Drive from first stake to second stake a few hours, hopefully at the second stake you got a load, because if you don't forget it, your going back to work on the head the rest of the night.

A new chopper is about the same as a good used self propelled one is until the capacity is figured into the equation.

We bought a two-year-old self-propelled with 1400 cutter head on it 13 years ago this fall it's been pretty good to us when you figure the tons per dollars you can't beat a self-propelled . IF you chop for 300+ cows you're making the payments on one. 

For the used pull type chopper the New Holland heads are the best out of the whole bunch. 

3 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

If I had at have a pull type chopper at a decent price, I would run a Deere...................I didn't expect to see the fans for Gehl's come out of the woodwork, they worked but nothing to write home about, atleast the smaller ones that everyone around me bought.  I'd like to back into a new Dion pull type with a new big row crop tractor with a common rail engine and just see which I could destroy first, tractor or chopper.  

Leave the Uni in the fencerow..............A late grey and cream 800 with a Cummins might not be too bad, with a adapter to run a Deere head and a 800 series chopper..........Spent some time in a 709 with a 767 chopper, I think you could put haylage up faster with a Lawnboy, and in corn with those stupid NI wide narrow heads you work on the head half the day, get it to the field, place 2 stakes..............Drive from first stake to second stake a few hours, hopefully at the second stake you got a load, because if you don't forget it, your going back to work on the head the rest of the night.

TP, nice description of the Uni Systems; I'm still laughing a little about it!!! However I'm no Uni lover or hater, they were probably a good machine in there time when new like anything else! But they were a very versatile unit. Our 708 is not as bad as u described but you have to be a good mechanic to keep one running and in good shape. We use ours to chop corn ,to open up fields, earlage and to husk ear corn. It has served us well but I sure wouldn't want to rely on it for any more than that lol. We use the NHFP 240 for all the main chopping.

Have u thought about looking at salvage yard for parts for ur 800. I have run gehl choppers for years have a 1285 and can get any part needed at dealer so not sure why everyone thinks parts aren't available. We also have a 1200 for chopping bedding. I would not be afraid to buy another gehl. My friend also runs a 790 for years and it treats him good.

I have a pair of 1250 Gehl choppers and absolutely love them. I run them with a 1066 at 210 hp chop two row of decent corn in 4 low all day long, big corn drop a gear. Those Gehl choppers had more capacity than any other pull type in their day. Parts are pricey but they sure seem tough and quiet compared to a junk 900 nh or 3970 Deere 

1 hour ago, ih crazy said:

TP, nice description of the Uni Systems; I'm still laughing a little about it!!! However I'm no Uni lover or hater, they were probably a good machine in there time when new like anything else! But they were a very versatile unit. Our 708 is not as bad as u described but you have to be a good mechanic to keep one running and in good shape. We use ours to chop corn ,to open up fields, earlage and to husk ear corn. It has served us well but I sure wouldn't want to rely on it for any more than that lol. We use the NHFP 240 for all the main chopping.

Yeah, they were ok, like I said, the late 800's were pretty decent, and hanging Deere heads on them helped.  I actually hated the heads the worst, chopper itself wasn't too bad, just didn't have a ton of capacity, and when you park a good pull type next to one, it really makes that point.

Wasn't the chopper on a later uni basically a 881 equivalent new idea?

I know it's the wrong color but if your not on the larger scale why not a 5720 Deere or even the older series last year I knew of two 54 hundred series that were under 10000 around here with three row head and pickup head I know the 404 block was not the best in the but one guy had two of them and had been retired for twenty years ( low hours even when added the two together) it was just a two brother operation and the kids didn't want any part a 20 series can have a 5000 dollar process er added ?

I owned JD, NH,Gehl and Hesston. Nothing  ran better,ran easier and had more capacity then a Hesston.

2 hours ago, Jacka said:

I owned JD, NH,Gehl and Hesston. Nothing  ran better,ran easier and had more capacity then a Hesston.

I heard that before as well, but never was around one.................I always thought the Deere's took alittle less power than a Gehl and most definitely a NH.  Granted it must be considered that nobody where I am ran processors at that time.

Hesston chopper line is now Dion that is were the design came from. We have a Dion kemper head on our 1285 gehl makes corn chopping alot nicer on odd shaped feilds.

The nieghbors ran new hollands since the cut and throw days we ran internationals from the 50s to around 2003 bought almost new gehl 1075 3 row head processor ran on a 1486 mx120 and now 5288 neither tractor was worked to death and kept two guys hauling wagons busy! Anyhow nieghbors new holland 892 blew up bought a 781 international said they were totally shock how much horsepower thier new hollands took vs ih! They had 770s 782s and  892 new hollands! 

13 hours ago, Jacka said:

I owned a Hesston before the Deere.

when we first got it I think someone ran a fence post through it, couldn't chop in low gear without slipping the clutch!

Rebuilt the feed rolls, threw away the "power savers"( think that's what they called them) and started out across the field in 3rd gear! What a difference!

What I HATED about the chopper was the 3 hours it took to service it, sharpen knives and to set  up the shear bar. And than you had to be near an electric outlet to do it because of the electric motor to sharpen knives!

The Deere I could sharpen knives between loads if I needed to! In the field WITHOUT an electric outlet in sight!

Sid

On 7/22/2017 at 9:08 AM, 856 Custom said:

Sure seems to me looking at those custom rates those poor guy's who own that equipment are pretty much doing it for the enjoyment. On fairly new equipment just the costs of depreciation a year would be tremendous, and you don't get custom jobs by being known to work on your equipment at a job as much as you're chopping. One drawback from a custom whoever, chopping, combining, etc is it probably won't be done when you would like. I know a friend of dad's always got a custom chopping guy and he had good equipment, but on corn anyway half the time he was too early or too late. His silos ran alot and that's not good. I know silo usage is a thing of the past for many, but bunkers and bags run too. Far as Uni systems are they're all about shot. Couple guys around here use them to open fields up for themselves or a couple neighbors but that's it.

chuckle..... The chopper guys have pretty nice snow mobiles, pick-up, vacation spots, motorcycles, RVs, and big boy toys to be struggling here too much  ;) 

You know the timing thing was a concern when we went to custom.  1st year was bad, during corn.  I was hard but we switched operators the next season from our long time family friends.  They just over booked themselves.  Guy now has 4 units, 2 older back ups (870, 900) no one would trade (7000+ hrs) and now 2 960 Claas' he got used.  Does 95% of his own work on stuff and maybe one of the best mechanics on our area.  Maybe 1x have we had to wait then go rain etc.  Even then he was bending over trying to get us all done.  BIGGEST thing is communicating.  I call/text him about 7-8 days before we want to do grass and corn about 2 weeks or so.  Here we have tight window with corn usually so we chop on 1. time.  2. Maturity.  If aint off before rains it aint coming off.

Uncle had a Hesston 7120....not very impressive frankly.  Thinking it may have been lack of HP.  A 170HP 7120 Magnum.  Traded for a 5830....well worn....way more work per day.

Brew I really would stay away from a 790.  Very small units and any bigger HP will tear it up.  A 900 or FP230 is way more machine for fair money.  Go to 230-240 HP fine with competent operator.  FP240/FHX300 to 290.  Friend rented a MX270 one season on his FHX300...man they got work done.  More tons a hour than uncles 5830 JD.  Humm....you looked at a old JD self pro?  They are pretty reliable and part are reasonable with several aftermarket suppliers. 

Random, was on old guys place recently.  Had a MINT Field Queen with heads.  Lower hrs and fully rebuilt.  Got a t a farm sale 10+ years ago, never used.  Very clean, be fun to hear that Detroit hum for a afternoon!

9 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

chuckle..... The chopper guys have pretty nice snow mobiles, pick-up, vacation spots, motorcycles, RVs, and big boy toys to be struggling here too much  ;) 

You know the timing thing was a concern when we went to custom.  1st year was bad, during corn.  I was hard but we switched operators the next season from our long time family friends.  They just over booked themselves.  Guy now has 4 units, 2 older back ups (870, 900) no one would trade (7000+ hrs) and now 2 960 Claas' he got used.  Does 95% of his own work on stuff and maybe one of the best mechanics on our area.  Maybe 1x have we had to wait then go rain etc.  Even then he was bending over trying to get us all done.  BIGGEST thing is communicating.  I call/text him about 7-8 days before we want to do grass and corn about 2 weeks or so.  Here we have tight window with corn usually so we chop on 1. time.  2. Maturity.  If aint off before rains it aint coming off.

Uncle had a Hesston 7120....not very impressive frankly.  Thinking it may have been lack of HP.  A 170HP 7120 Magnum.  Traded for a 5830....well worn....way more work per day.

Brew I really would stay away from a 790.  Very small units and any bigger HP will tear it up.  A 900 or FP230 is way more machine for fair money.  Go to 230-240 HP fine with competent operator.  FP240/FHX300 to 290.  Friend rented a MX270 one season on his FHX300...man they got work done.  More tons a hour than uncles 5830 JD.  Humm....you looked at a old JD self pro?  They are pretty reliable and part are reasonable with several aftermarket suppliers. 

Random, was on old guys place recently.  Had a MINT Field Queen with heads.  Lower hrs and fully rebuilt.  Got a t a farm sale 10+ years ago, never used.  Very clean, be fun to hear that Detroit hum for a afternoon!

Custom guys that chop around here are at about 125 an acre in 15 to 20 ton silage. We have a guy that comes up with a worn out JD and 2 trucks takes about 7 hours to chop 40 acres but he is about  110 an acre. I know the local guy always talk about being 500 to 600 an hour with the trucks. We used to chop our selfs with a JD 3800 but in the fall you just run out of time here.

I found the one I want!! I just have to find someone who will sell it to me. LOL

chopper.GIF