Sign in to follow this  
brewcrew

Choppers

Since dad and I split our operations he has always kept chopping for me with his Gehl 800 chopper pulled behind an 806. A couple years ago he said he was going to be done, but since the chopper has always been so reliable he kept going. This year has not been good for it. It needs new knives, but we decided to run it another year as is for hay. That didn't go well, with plugging and shearing bolts and such. The final straw was when something appears to have gone through it and damaged the band and the piece before the spout. I'm pretty confident it has chopped it's last load. I had to get my brother in law to come in with his Claas to finish, and although it was quick and convenient, it was expensive! I've been looking around on CL and such at what is available without robbing banks to fund it.I've found Gehl 865, 1065, and NH 790 all in the $5000 or under range. But I don't know what condition they are in or how reliable they may be. I know my uncle had an 860 that was a nightmare, and I'd hate to get into a POS when I need something reliable. I've also run across a couple Uni setups. I like the idea of not tying up a tractor, plus being able to open up anywhere. Are they even worth looking into? Or run away?

Dad used to have a gehl 800 and then an ih 820 I believe.  Final one was a John Deere 3800, thought we died and went to heaven.  Less moving parts and it was a very reliable machine.  Dad still cusses the gehl pickup head.

i have no experience with a gehl, but considering they stopped making field equipment several years ago, parts might get to be a problem.

i have had NH 718, a couple 892s, and now 900. the 900 is the best of them. i switched away from the 718 when i started using a dump wagon, as it was getting pushed around on hills. i think the 790 is a smaller version of the 900. 790s have been made a long time, so milage may be an issue.

i also have an 2wd 802 unisystem that i chopped grass with, and for making high moisture corn. with a full wagon on dry flat ground, it is almost impossible to turn without dragging a brake. i can only guess how it would be on a sidehill in the mud. maybe 4wd would help that situation. traction on the light side is also an issue.

I have a 3800 deere and it's been a good chopper but I'm now getting a 790 new Holland with a horning processor. It looks well built and I know of a lot of new Holland equipment around so I feel like it will be a good choice. Also parts are readily available for a new Holland. 

We had a NH 900 for 20 years bulletproof for us!! We then traded for a NH 240 with processor perfect match for our 5488 and like it even more. We have a uni 708 4wd but that doesn't like very green corn and kinda slow going versus 900 or 240.

20170609_130942.jpg

2 hours ago, ih crazy said:

We had a NH 900 for 20 years bulletproof for us!! We then traded for a NH 240 with processor perfect match for our 5488 and like it even more. We have a uni 708 4wd but that doesn't like very green corn and kinda slow going versus 900 or 240.

20170609_130942.jpg

We have a 900 on the farm an it has been very good for us. We cut for 2 neighbors and then 2 farms here, use it all four places spring and fall. We have rebuilt it twice over the last 24 years, this past winter ended up rolling out and installing a new floor under the cutter head as it wore thru in corn last fall. 

Dad traded his New Holland 900 for a 790 years back. Biggest pile we ever owned. Nothing seemed to last very long on it. Heck, we even had the axel shafts break off. Didn't keep that very long before he went back to the bigger chopper. Been running the 900's & FP 230's ever since.

3950 Deere! Or step into the 3750 Deere. Good simple choppers, easy to adjust shear bar and sharpen knives anywhere, anytime! 

Sid

We had a 900 New Holland before going to the Claas. It was OK but had far less capacity then the gehl 1200 it replaced. Gehl is crazy expensive for parts. Knives for the neighbors 860 cost more than a set for our class.

Gehl was pretty stupid when they quit making equipment and didn't sell their full line to some other company without selling new pieces of equipment parts are way too expensive to make and who wants to buy something when the company is not hardly really in business

I'd like to here more about the 790 problems. Also I'd like to know if my 1026 hydro has the power to pull a 900 with a processor and a 2 row head

21 minutes ago, Deerefarmer said:

I'd like to here more about the 790 problems. Also I'd like to know if my 1026 hydro has the power to pull a 900 with a processor and a 2 row head

No problem pulling a 900 with a 1206. The 900 runs out of capacity as the cross augur gets full. Anything over 100 hp it is fine. Probably get away with 80 hp ok

18 minutes ago, bitty said:

No problem pulling a 900 with a 1206. The 900 runs out of capacity as the cross augur gets full. Anything over 100 hp it is fine. Probably get away with 80 hp ok

I just got my 1026 and haven't dynoed it yet it seems strong on my 3800 and we are looking at possible getting another big tractor like a 1486 or something like that just for chopping so the 1026 can mow

Well since this is the RED site, why not look at an 830 or an 881. We have two 830's and they really are simple and work great. Not a lot of money either. There are still good ones out there that haven't chopped half the planet. The New Hollands are good machines, but not better than the 830 IMO. Good luck which ever you choose.

1 hour ago, Deerefarmer said:

Not even close.  My 8930 went 3 mph with processor and 2 row.  Had to turn to 240 from 185 to get 5mph.  255 when we got 3 row.

Brew....how much was bil?  There is value in going quick since you sobt have all the other stuff going as long.

57 minutes ago, bitty said:

Processor takes 50 60 hp or more.

2 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Processor takes 50 60 hp or more.

I doubt that in the 900 newholland. We had one  , then had a Dion 1224 with the 3row and processor and 200 horsepower easily ran that with close to twice the capacity as the 900 had

4 hours ago, Deerefarmer said:

In our opinion it seemed cheaply built. Been a lot of years ago and I was fairly young but besides the axles breaking I remember the spout needed to be reinforced, and everything just seemed to wear out very fast. Have to talk to my dad to get more in detail. After we traded it we heard the axles broke off again for the next owner! Maybe we had a bad one but we sure never would buy another 790.

Gehl made GOOD products. No doubt about it. And i sure agree with bitty on the stupidity part of dropping the ag line. However having a 800 Gehl around here since September of 76 and it's been a helluva machine, i wouldn't buy another Gehl. If you can't get parts it doesn't matter how cheap you get it bought. In my opinion only, i think a chopper with a processor is the way to go. Better feed conversion for dairy or beef. I'm looking for a 900 or a FP New Holland with a processor. There's a 1275 Gehl with a processor not far away, and it was tempting, but it's obsolete.

8 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Not even close.  My 8930 went 3 mph with processor and 2 row.  Had to turn to 240 from 185 to get 5mph.  255 when we got 3 row.

Brew....how much was bil?  There is value in going quick since you sobt have all the other stuff going as long.

He charges 305/hour (cutterhead) for the Claas, which really isn't bad. But by the time I pay 50-80 per truck (varies by size) on actual hours, and they end up sitting waiting for my bagger, it really adds up. He does have two wagons, and I pulled one this time, but the other is stuffed in the shed and rarely gets used.

10 minutes ago, brewcrew said:

He charges 305/hour (cutterhead) for the Claas, which really isn't bad. But by the time I pay 50-80 per truck (varies by size) on actual hours, and they end up sitting waiting for my bagger, it really adds up. He does have two wagons, and I pulled one this time, but the other is stuffed in the shed and rarely gets used.

Ok, so we get billed 395/h for grass and 425 for corn.  I know even with his cost when we went to a custom guy we sure got better fedd b/c it gets put in faster.  I dont need to try to find help for 2-3 days just 1 (big deal here).  I usually hired one truck to help with my truck and now its for 10-14 hrs not 20+.  We had a 900 NH.  Very good unit but with 300 ac grass 5-6x and 250 corn we were taking days and weeks to chop.  Letting cows slid and hating it.  Loved chopping but 2mph in 1st with the 8930 and 900 was taxing on your nerves!  

I would really rec a 240FP or FHX300 CIH.  BIG step up from 900.  We just did not want to spend 80k for a tag or 100000+ for good reliable SPFH.  Smallest unit we looked at was a 6850 jd

8 hours ago, bitty said:

I doubt that in the 900 newholland. We had one  , then had a Dion 1224 with the 3row and processor and 200 horsepower easily ran that with close to twice the capacity as the 900 had

I 100% know it.  We had our 8930 stock.  Got chopper hooked on and went for test run.  1st year we were no renting a 8950 from dealer.  Went 100 yards and could hardly hold 2.3 mph with 2 row and processor open just a thick as my leathermans blade...3/16".  Went to town right then, dyno said 180-190 so set to 250-260.  Hooked back up end of day...5.5-6 mph just like the 8950 we'd rented in the past.  The 3 row did not make much diff.  You mus not close them rolls much!! ;) 

1 hour ago, TroyDairy said:

I 100% know it.  We had our 8930 stock.  Got chopper hooked on and went for test run.  1st year we were no renting a 8950 from dealer.  Went 100 yards and could hardly hold 2.3 mph with 2 row and processor open just a thick as my leathermans blade...3/16".  Went to town right then, dyno said 180-190 so set to 250-260.  Hooked back up end of day...5.5-6 mph just like the 8950 we'd rented in the past.  The 3 row did not make much diff.  You mus not close them rolls much!! ;) 

On the Dion there was 0% kernels that made it through without being COMPLETELY obliterated . My thoughts is the augur +processor is the problem. The Dion was close to Claas capacity wise and ran fairly easy compared to the 900 we had ( our NH that had no processor)

13 hours ago, Deerefarmer said:

The 1026 would run it but slow mph if corn has any size at all. Our corn is tall usually as tall as chopper boxes, and we had our 1486 on the 900 without processor 3.5mph top. I'm with troydairy those processors take power!!!!  Also depends on your operation and how much you need to chop per year. Get the 900 over 790 imo, especially if you will be getting a bigger tractor someday.

For those suggesting JD, just forget it. The 2 in our area have been unreliable, and dealer support sucks!

We have as good a Gehl dealer as any- it was the largest Gehl dealer in WI, possibly the country. But that doesn't change the fact that they are out of production. :(

The NH 790 is still built, correct? Are the new ones exactly the same as they have always been? What HP are they rated for?

I'm not hearing much talk about a Uni- I'm starting to think there is a reason for that....

Sure seems to me looking at those custom rates those poor guy's who own that equipment are pretty much doing it for the enjoyment. On fairly new equipment just the costs of depreciation a year would be tremendous, and you don't get custom jobs by being known to work on your equipment at a job as much as you're chopping. One drawback from a custom whoever, chopping, combining, etc is it probably won't be done when you would like. I know a friend of dad's always got a custom chopping guy and he had good equipment, but on corn anyway half the time he was too early or too late. His silos ran alot and that's not good. I know silo usage is a thing of the past for many, but bunkers and bags run too. Far as Uni systems are they're all about shot. Couple guys around here use them to open fields up for themselves or a couple neighbors but that's it.