TD18 at Steam Show

Folks,

Here are the pictures I promised you on the TD18.

This is over the hood shot as I was leaving the parade to put it away.

DSC07831.jpg

I just handed the camera to a guy standing by the driveway.

DSC07830.jpg

This machine belongs to the Pioneer Steam and Gas Engine Society. Located in Sagertown PA. The event was our big summer show and featured IH equipment of all types. From 1910 Titan to modern CASE IH machines on display.

The TD18 usually just sets up on top of the hill as the big dog watching over the show. This year it got to go in the parade each day. Mr Wingo drove it Friday and Saturday. And I took it through the parade on Sunday.

DSC07792.jpg

DSC07794.jpg

From what I understand the machine built the roads for the show grounds 40 years ago. The engine was overhauled several years back and it has a parts machine with better running gear waiting to be swapped out when a champion for that project comes along!

DSC07795.jpg

View of the controls:

DSC07802.jpg

Looking over the tractor show from the hill:

DSC07803.jpg

Mr Wingo checking the gas. I am at the controls:

DSC07804.jpg

DSC07806.jpg

These are friends that Mr Wingo and others brought along to keep the TD18 company on the hill.

DSC07801.jpg

DSC07796.jpg

DSC07797.jpg

DSC07800.jpg

DSC07799.jpg

DSC07798.jpg

So It was a last minute decision for me to take it in the parade. I had taken my Cub train in prior. I ran up and jumped on the TD18 I fired up pretty quick. I lumbered down over the hill to the parade. Was allowed to cut in front of a couple folks and proceeded slowly past the grandstand. About 20 feet from end the TD18 quit! I felt a little foolish! OK a LOT! Some guy ask if his tractor could pull it. (I dont think so!) The announcer ask how we were going to move that out of the way? :) Well I took stock of the situation for a moment and thought it must be fuel. I jerked up the seat and turned on the diesel petcock. Plopped back down and started it on gas. After a few seconds I switched it to diesel and it took right off. I guess it was a real good show for the folks in the packed grandstands!:) They love it when a tractor breaks down!:)

After wards Mr Wingo told me they had shut off the fuel due to a leak in the line. Hind site I should have checked to see it the fuel was on.

When I returned to park it There was a guy walking around the TD18 looking it over. He said they had one and I coaxed him to get on and take it for a spin. He moved some dirt and I think I seen several smiles in there too!

DSC07832.jpg

DSC07833.jpg

DSC07834.jpg

He wasn't afraid to drop the blade and push some dirt.

DSC07834.jpg

DSC07836.jpg

The TD18 was responsive and the clutches works as they should. Just a little nudge on the brake and it was turning good for a old machine.

DSC07837.jpg

DSC07838.jpg

Coming at you!

DSC07839.jpg

DSC07840.jpg

DSC07841.jpg

DSC07842.jpg

DSC07843.jpg

We were both a little cramped in the cockpit. For a big machine they were still a little tight. Especially the brakes.

DSC07844.jpg

I know that's a lot of pictures: Hopefully not overload?

I know that we just don't see many pictures of these big old machines doing a little work and or having a little fun.

When I was taking it back into storage on Monday it just about jarred my teeth out on the hard drive way. I had to get back into low range, so my eyeballs would settle back down.

Was a good experience for me. Can't imagine what a TD24 is like! AWESOME!

Regards,

Chris

One hour drive to the Pioneer Steam Show.................$35

Admission to Pioneer Steam Show................................$ 5

Famous Pioneer Bean Soup..........................................$ 2

Fireman's Chicken Dinner at Pioneer Steam Show........$ 7

Connecting and visiting with Sugar Maker, who connected me to the TD-18 team, who then introduced me Tim at Valley Machine, who happens to have done the machine work on the engine of the TD-18, and has tooling and first hand experience to do work on my UD-16 this fall: PRICELESS!

Metamora Farmall Thanks!

Pa Shovel,

That made my day! Glad we got you connected with Tim at Valley Machine. He does good work! I have his number in my phone! Now we need pictures of that shovel too!

Regards,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Just a couple of notes:

The TD 18 was donated to the Pioneer Steam and Gas Engine Society in the summer of 2000 by Carl F. Webb, of Kossuth, PA.

Carl purchased the machine from the Best and Nelly Coal Company in Knox, PA, circa 1992

The engine got sleeves, pistons and bearings plus cylinder head work at my shop in 2002 with lots of help from several Pioneer members.

The blade and hydraulics are Isaacson and are very badly worn and are of generally poor design to start with.

Pioneer has purchased a second 18 with good undercarriage and an excellent BE blade. The plan is to do an engine transplant to it sometime in the future.

The picture is the second machine the day we hauled it to the show grounds.

Phildirt

112008 009.jpg

• 2 months later...

Folks,

In talking with several Pioneer members Saturday. There is a plan to move both TD18 units to a shop and do the engine swap. I will try keep you up to date as to the status of this project as it develops.

Regards,

Chris

• 8 months later...

Its Steam show time again. July 20, 21 and 22. The blade went back on the TD18 today and it got moved up on the hill! I may get a chance to take it in the parade or just take it for a spin in the dirt! The process has started to make one better tractor from 2 units.

http://pioneersteamandgas.com/Media/PSGESBigShow2018%20Email.mp4

Regards,

Chris

Folks,

Well I was busy at the Steam show and when I looked up the TD18 was going out the gate without its blade. It may be a while for another update on the transition of components from one dozer to the other to eventually make a good usable machine again.

Regards,

Chris

• 2 months later...

Chum,

When are you playing in the dirt again? Remember I am not a operator! I just happen to own a old TD6 and have spent about 1/2 hour moving the TD18 around the show grounds.

BTW I did see the two TD18's all in parts at the local machine shop. I believe he is going to work on them some this winter. Good engine from the red one into the good running gear of the yellow one. Hope it doesnt come out looking green along the way!:)

Regards,

Chris

• 1 month later...

Folks,

Our local tractor organization is looking for clutch and pressure plate parts for the TD18. I know there are at least two other guys searching for these too. Just thought I would take a shot and ask for directions on here. They may have contacted some of the antique parts suppliers too? Sorry I don't have any part numbers. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Chris

Did you try Hector Gemme ?

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/d/ih-international-td-18a-dozer/6770632732.html

Came off a 1953 International TD 18A Dozer. Purchased from construction company auction out of Richmond Indiana. Also have the carburetor, nuts, bolts, pistons, hoods & other random parts. I have very little knowledge about this stuff, but I have enough sense not to scrap it. I'd be happy to get this stuff out of my barn and into the hands of someone that needs/wants it.

Been stored inside barn

Heads marked 258891-R5

I did not purchase the dozer, but I do have additional photos of it as well.

Let's make a deal? What do you need? Will add more pics as I get time.

Located in Ridgeville Indiana - hour south of Fort Wayne. Text or call 

nomorejohndeere,

Thanks for the offer. I will keep this in mind. Right now they are into the clutch system, looking for those parts. Not sure a 18A may be a newer model and some parts =may not interchange??

I am not a expert or even close to knowing anything about these. Just a messenger.

Merry Christmas!

Regards,

Chris

Archived