Been working on this baby for almost a year and a half .

But the real effort was in that gear box. I can't remember how much time 

i estimated a month and a half , ha! That was nothing but thinking how to save the drive . No parts most are discontinued. 

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Less pieces in the pile , hope take er to antiques this weekend .

if I do not get any more surprising assembly disasters. One of the 5/8 treads that hold the cutter bar on was stripped 👎🏿👀🤓🚜

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Nice work Dennis.  You have brought back memories for me.  We had a New Idea mower very similar, if not the same on our farm more years ago than I like to admit. I had forgotten about it until I saw your project but now remember using it to mow the banks of the ditches along the road. My dad sold the farm something more than 40 years ago so I guess I have an excuse for having forgotten the New Idea mower.

17 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Looks like a nice project.  It will look nice behind any color of antique tractor.  

X2,

I respect your comments . I have to say this anyone has restored farm equipment . I have the upmost admiration for your talented efforts . All of you know what is required , if your first time expect the unexpected as I found out on almost every project . This one was a fire horse . 

For example , this will be used to cut cover crops. My son who has never ran a sickle bar mower will be using it .He is not that fimilar with these machines. I have to make sure that a machine like this has to blueprinted or I will be walking about 500 hundred yards to he back of the farm to see what happen ? I don't want that and I don't want him hurt because I didn't do diligence to make sure this machine is properly set up ,. I can't afford to this twice or three times . 

See this sketch from the operation and set up manual 

How many points on this machine prevent me from achieving this set up? A lot, my machinist / welder son have been working about a month to straighten measure and restore this cutter bar to get the 4 inch to 41/2 inch lead. It is mind boggling the things that are bent ,worn and stripped. 

image.jpeg

• Like 2

I still have a brother to it. Grandpa bought it new and pulled it with an allis CA. I still use it to do pond edges and road ditch. The guards are shot and it plugs fairly easy. Ours has a cylinder added to it because I guess that portion of the gear box went bad and it was easier to add a cylinder? Before my time. Looks Good Dennis

• 1 month later...

Well this is a great reunion today , Dads Farmall C and the the long anticipated completion of the New Idea 30A sickle bat mower. What great day for me as the sounds of the past come alive. All the time, expense and effort have vanished, into satisfaction of a job completed to best of our abilities. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Boy, if you got it tuned to mow your yard like that you must have done something right :)

All joking aside, that looks great.  Pretty cool to have something like that come back together after all this time.  

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great! I mowed a lot with one. Most of the time was good. Down clover had to be mowed only in one direction. So had to run bak to the other end of the field to start again. I scrapped one of these a couple years ago when cleaning out my uncles farm.

If I remember the orange on the wheels might have been just a little brighter orange???

Regards

Chris

• 10 months later...

These two worked me hard today , worked about 6 hours. Now I need a week to recover. Neck and shoulder are real sore and stiff. 

My butt ,still can't feel it. 

I got to get the tricycle Farmall C  out and hook on . To much work to steer the wide front with the c steering wheel ,regret that error . 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
On 7/16/2017 at 3:02 PM, 560Dennis said:

Been working on this baby for almost a year and a half .

But the real effort was in that gear box. I can't remember how much time 

i estimated a month and a half , ha! That was nothing but thinking how to save the drive . No parts most are discontinued. 

image.jpeg

I just got one gave to me its all complete except fhe PTO shaft that it came out with. The guy that gave it to me put a PTO shaft from a hay teather on it. Any information on this that you can remember it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2 hours ago, Wes806 said:

I just got one gave to me its all complete except fhe PTO shaft that it came out with. The guy that gave it to me put a PTO shaft from a hay teather on it. Any information on this that you can remember it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sure ! 

I’m not sure what your missing ,I’m not home to get the book out. To pin point the missing . I be unsure of what you have will work 🤔

We  will get going 

I’ve used it o mow 35 acres so far. I can’t say it was painless or flawless. But every time out it got dialed in . 

Mowing in Second gear with the Farmall C wide open. Went though some heavy wet low spots . And it mows late into evening ,I quit when I see the tires getting wet. All the work into it not going prove I can bust it. 

• Like 4
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2020 at 6:43 AM, bberger said:

Hi Dennis.  I have the exact same model all in working order except my cutter bar broke in half.  Any idea on where to buy a new one?  

6 foot or 7 foot ?

A82D71F6-3828-429E-B84F-38BF7D2CB80A.jpeg

81DE0750-D673-484B-A51C-C665D3A88DE4.jpeg

On 9/5/2020 at 6:43 AM, bberger said:

Hi Dennis.  I have the exact same model all in working order except my cutter bar broke in half.  Any idea on where to buy a new one?  

We welded  this one , now I don’t know the details, because this was 65 years ago , so the 2 or 3 outside sections Broke at the rivet and it was welded to repair . It’s still working , ok some thing to consider 

1 hour ago, 560Dennis said:

We welded  this one , now I don’t know the details, because this was 65 years ago , so the 2 or 3 outside sections Broke at the rivet and it was welded to repair . It’s still working , ok some thing to consider 

I have welded several of the bars with the sections riveted or bolted on. I was told to move the broken piece to the end away from head,and move head to the broken end. Much less power to move a few sections as almost all the knife from the head. Never had any trouble with them.

To weld the main bar would be much more difficult with the flexing it does when raised.

Beautiful restoration Dennis !

Great to see you using it and enjoying your hard work and patience.

Looks great behind the C.

My Grandfather had one that he pulled with a Oliver 70 round nose .

Tony 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, ray54 said:

I have welded several of the bars with the sections riveted or bolted on. I was told to move the broken piece to the end away from head,and move head to the broken end. Much less power to move a few sections as almost all the knife from the head. Never had any trouble with them.

To weld the main bar would be much more difficult with the flexing it does when raised.

Thanks Ray that’s great information, ours weld break is out like you mention. Can be done and it last over 65 years and it went though the heavy crown vetch so what more can testify ( IT WILL CUT )