Sign in to follow this  
Brian W

Grain Cart

Looking for some recommendations and advice on buying a grain cart. In the market for a good used 500 bushel size cart. I see there are lots of choices. Side auger or corner auger. Small or big PTO. Tire size and tread. Is there any brand that is better for durablity. Would be only using on our small farm 300 acres and pulling with a 3588. Any comments or things to look for would be great. Thanks. 

Brent by Unverferth has been known around my parts as the best. The corner auger system is well liked. One of the advantages of that system is not having to turn around backwards to watch your unloading auger.

I have a Brent 472 and am very happy with it. Corner auger is nice for loading trucks.  For tires get the biggest you can with R-1 tread. Not sure what you have for combine, but make sure your auger will clear cart

I think a J&M 525 is hard to beat.  I've got 2 of them and love the corner auger, but also the auger folds across the front .  The ones that fold back along the side just take more width and on some of them the auger sticks past the back of the cart so you have to be careful with backing it in to a barn.

Todd

20151113_083051.jpg

I pull an EZ Trail 500 behind my 3588. Seems to be a good fit.

As Chris said above, make sure your combine will reach into whatever you are looking at. Back when I had an F2 Gleaner I had to use a smaller cart as the F2 had limited reach.

Thanks for the response, the corner seems like the way to go. I run a 1460 with a 963 corn head and 20 ft 1020 flex. Seems like I waste so much time traveling from the field to dump in the truck because it's always a little wet here in the fall and trucks just can't get in the field that a cart would be justified. 

1 hour ago, Brian W said:

Thanks for the response, the corner seems like the way to go. I run a 1460 with a 963 corn head and 20 ft 1020 flex. Seems like I waste so much time traveling from the field to dump in the truck because it's always a little wet here in the fall and trucks just can't get in the field that a cart would be justified. 

Thats what I have for combine as well, no problem getting over the Brent. J&M 525 would be another good one as Todd said. 

1A160570-E83D-43FB-9077-1F8D38033FB9.JPG

I had a J&M 525 for several years and traded it up to a 750, one good point on the J&M is the fact that you can wait until you are beside a semi or other truck to dump before you fold the auger out, that way you don't have to worry about hitting exhaust stacks on the truck.

Very good point on the front fold auger. Looks like my list is getting narrowed down. Thanks for the input everyone