Barley, binders and IH tractor

sugarmaker

Folks,

I post most of the time in the construction equipment. But I did have these recent pictures of a Farmall tractor and antique binder that was used to harvest barley at the Pioneer Steam and Gas Engine show grounds on Wendsday of this week. Dave Goodwill is at the controls on the binder and Tuffy is driving the Farmall. Plus many helpers to shock the barley. This was about a hours worth of work. I had heard about binders as a kid. Had never worked around one. Was a good experience and lots of fun (work)!

Heading out to the field:

DSC07491.jpg

I am assuming this was a horse drawn unit at one time in its life?

DSC07492.jpg

DSC07493.jpg

That's Gabe reviewing the status of the machine prior to starting it up. He helped with the shocking too!

DSC07494.jpg

Dave at the controls, (Dave remember to tighten that belt!)

DSC07495.jpg

First round to open up the field:

DSC07496.jpg

IH money shot:

DSC07497.jpg

Clicking right along:

DSC07498.jpg

Time to get to work:

DSC07499.jpg

Travis showing how its done:

DSC07500.jpg

DSC07501.jpg

Last cut:

DSC07502.jpg

DSC07503.jpg

break:

DSC07504.jpg

All done:

DSC07505.jpg

Dave forgot to tighten the belt! But the machine worked OK anyway.

DSC07506.jpg

Finished field of shocked barley:

DSC07507.jpg

DSC07508.jpg

The group discussion after completion.

DSC07509.jpg

The Steam show is having their large summer show and IH is the feature tractor. July 14,15,16 I believe are the dates. Located in Northwest PA Near I-79 and route 198.

This barley will be thrashed during that show and many nice IH tractors will be shown. IH Chapter 16 will be there in full force.

Regards,

Chris

It was really kicking out the sheaves there. Lots of bindering done on this farm but before my time. That one was likely a "power" binder having pto drive and tractor hitch. The horse powered ones had what they called "trucks", a small set of wheels to hold up the hitch weight to the horses only had to pull. And ground drive off the bull wheel of course. My dad's last binder was a JD pto drive in the late 1940s. 

1 hour ago, Loadstar said:

horse powered ones had what they called "trucks",

Yup, gazed at all those photos and made me recall "old times" on the farm!  All your's are so and the team of horses was driven/controlled by leather reins by the man sitting on the binder's seat.  That "knotter" (binder) used to tie the twine around the bale was truly a work of art!  When converted to tractors, used to make/install a long set of steering rods and knuckle joints from that binder's seat up to the F-20's steering wheel.  And a rope up to the F-20's clutch.

best, randy

Yep  PTO driven power binder for tractors. Even the most modern horses don't have that option yet! I think I heard that there were conversion kits to add PTO drive to a horse binder, but I could be wrong. Maybe it was someone's wild idea.

12_guy,

Your very correct! I never thought about it being PTO driven. But it sure is! Just wasn't thinking. Thanks for that!:)

Regards,

Chris

15 hours ago, 12_Guy said:

conversion kits to add PTO drive to a horse binder

Gotta wonder why when it all ran just fine off of the "bull-wheel"?

best, randy

15 minutes ago, 664 CDN said:

Storm flattened & tangled Grain!

Yup, understand - but what's that got to do with whether the bull wheel still turned?

best, randy

6 hours ago, Randy Sohn said:

Gotta wonder why when it all ran just fine off of the "bull-wheel"?

best, randy

I am sure like most improved things that there are many reasons for the change. Increased cutter bar speed and no problem with the drive wheel slipping on slick stubble come to mind. Yes the bull wheel can slip if the load is too great. I am not sure if any horse drawn binders could be changed to pto or not. I think someone told me that there were kits for them. I was hoping that someone would know. 

4 minutes ago, 12_Guy said:

bull wheel can slip if the load is too great. I am not sure if any horse drawn binders could be changed to pto or not. I think someone told me that there were kits for them. I was hoping that someone would know. 

Ah-so, copy-copy.  Guess that I just don't know, either.  So let's hope like you'd said that someone will come along here to add some comments/knowledge.  After 1948 we no longer put up oats in bundles for the threshing? thrashing? machine, dad and my uncle bought a IH-62 combine with that Continental engine.

best, randy

Archived