Sign in to follow this  
bmk

826 Engine Swap

I have a 826 Hydro with a  358 engine needing a overhaul.  I recently traded for a 1256 that was suppose to run.  Was wondering what would have to be changed to put the engine out of the 1256 into the 826 Hydro.  I understand im going to an older and smaller engine, but needing another tractor for hay season.  Hoping to do a complete restoration on the 826 when i can afford it.  Both tractors are complete.  Thanks for any help.

I have not picked up the 1256, so i have not looked at them side by side to see any differences.Im just looking any possible options.  I know this group of Ih folks already has the answers.  Thanks again.

1256 has a 407 engine. You would basically be making a 1026 out of the two although the 826 rear end may be lighter duty can't remember.

Tractor would be used for cutting or raking hay.

Neighbor kid took engine from 1026 and bolted right up to 706 rear end. Yours should be pretty much the same

Not to be nosey, but what to you use a haybine? discbine?, what type of rake?

You dont need a tremendous amount of power to cut and rake hay.

Any tractor with live pto and hydraulics would do.

Lars, your correct, I dont really need that much power to do either. I got a 7 wheel disk mower and a 10 wheel v-rake. We normally use either a gas 504 farmall, a 3910 Ford, or a 35 hp Kubato to do the raking.  My plan would be to put the mower on that tractor and not take it off till season is over.  I had a 1086 that i used till i traded for a CX90 Caseinternational where i would have a cab to get out of the hay dust. The 1086 was a longer wheelbase and rode much better than the CX. Both these tractors are open platform tractors. I hope to be able to restore the 826 back to orginal when i can afford it.The 358 will have to be totally rebuilt thats in the 826.  

I would see if the 1256 is good to run and then just use that. That's my mowing tractor 

IMG_7143.JPG

15 hours ago, bmk said:

I have a 826 Hydro with a  358 engine needing a overhaul.  I recently traded for a 1256 that was suppose to run.  Was wondering what would have to be changed to put the engine out of the 1256 into the 826 Hydro.  I understand im going to an older and smaller engine, but needing another tractor for hay season.  Hoping to do a complete restoration on the 826 when i can afford it.  Both tractors are complete.  Thanks for any help.

I have not picked up the 1256, so i have not looked at them side by side to see any differences.Im just looking any possible options.  I know this group of Ih folks already has the answers.  Thanks again.

My opinion, for what it's worth is you are tearing apart a more desirable tractor to save a less desirable tractor.

Yes I know, hydro verses gear drive and all of that, BUT with all things being equal- I would still want the 1256 over the 826.

Best of luck with whatever you do!

Sid

bmk I see you are in Alabama. Should be some old 782 series II cotton pickers sitting around or a 1420 combine junked out. These would have a 358 German diesel. FWIW I just took a 358 out of a rough 886 late model with a 358 and put in my 826 gear drive. I had to change the back plate, front engine mount, and various other things. Luckily I had both engines in the shop and was able to take off one and put on the other. One advantage of the later 358s is that they usually have the water conditioner set up that the early ones don't have.  Eason

9 hours ago, bmk said:

Thats a good looking 1256

Thanks bmk. Either tractor 826 or the 1256 are great  tractors for doing hay work. I love mowing with the 1256. I wouldn't gut a 56 series unless I absolutely had to. 

Thanks guys for the replys.  I have never got to use either of these tractors, so im not leaning toward one over the other.  In my mind, i thank the hydro would be great for hay and loader chores.   The 826 was not running when i traded for it, and i seen the 1256 being used.  When i can afford it, i want to completely restore the 826.  When i get a chance to pick up the 1256, i may use it like it is and not even consider the swap.  Hopefully i can get the 1256 home within the next week or so then i can decide which way i want to go. I know ill enjoy using either one because they were made to use and keep lasting with just a little attention.  There used to be a dealer close back when these tractors where new and a lot of IH stuff in this area.  Now the nearest dealer is about an hour and half drive.  

Eason, there is stil a few old cotton pickers around, but scrap yards got many of them as well as old tractors like these a couple years back, so there are getting harder to find.  If you happen to run across one, people dont want to get rid of them or they want the price of an fully operating machine. Thanks again for the replies, I knew i could get some good feed back here. Ill post when i decide what im gone to do.

One major difference between the gear drive and the hydro is the clutch and pressure plate vs. the hydro flex plate.

The flex plate off the 826 won't fit on the 1256's flywheel. The only way to drive a hydro rear end with a DT407 engine is to get the flex plate, and possibly the flywheel, off of a 1026. Other than that you could simply bolt the 1256's front half to the 826's rear half.

None of what you'd be doing is irreversible.

I do agree with the others above in that your safest bet would be to try the 1256 as-is before doing any swap work. For all you know that 826 hydro could need $5000+ worth of work, and you just went through a bunch of trouble to switch it over, only to have to turn around and switch everything back to the 1256 to get a running driving tractor.

The guy that owned the 1256 died, i traded for from his son.  He said it had some hydralic leaks was the only thing he knew was wrong with it when his dad died.  The PTO assembly has been taken out and put in a 1466 they had. It will need a PTO assembly which i am looking for  while i try to get arrangements made to move the tractor.  

Matt, that was the main reason i asked here about the difference. I dont have a whole lot tied up in either tractor at the present time.  I had already found that the clutches were different in size.   Most of the time I tend to fix whats on a machine instead of changing to something else anyway. If i dont find a PTO unit , I have been thinking i could possiblely take the PTO out of the 826 and put in the 1256 to see what happens if dont find one by the time i get it home.

pto ought to be easy to find. Many, many pullers remove them.

The 826 hydro housing has the same part number as the 1026, FYI. I agree with the others, if the 826 is that bad off, sell it and fix up the 1256. jmo 

Alan

I vote to leave the 1256 alone and use it if it is a runnable tractor or easily made so. Then save your money and fully restore the 826 as time allows..