5400 Soybean Special

I have a 15' soybean special that I got bought cheap. Would like to sell the Yetter cart off the front to save shed space ( should get more out of cart than I paid total) plus I think it would be nicer to have it mounted 3 pt. my question is will a MX 140 have enough hitch lift to handle it full of seed? Would my 1466 lift it?

Already have a 5400 min till with Yetter cart rather not have two carts around. 

Thanks 

According to tractor data your mx 140 has a little over 12,000 lbs of 3pt lift capacity. It won't have any issue lifting a 15' ss full of beans. You will need a bunch of weights to keep the front end on the ground. The 14 might lift it OK, but front end weight would certainly be an issue

I bought a 20 foot 3 point 5400 soybean special and after the first year put it on a cart. It was nearly impossible to drive loaded with seed. I had it on a NH 8870 super steer with a full rack of the big weights plus 1200 lbs of IH suit case on the front.  You did not take it down the road with beans in the box and then you never went over about 12 mph. 

Jerry

My view is that the best cart for the 5400 is the Bluejet cart. I have a 15 footer with the Bluejet cart and heavy Marchand markers mounted on the colter caddy. There is no doubt that there is enough weight as you can go into hard dry clay 3 inches with the colters and still have a 2 inch depth with the openers to place the soybean seed to get moisture when it is dry. I guess that is why CIH used the Bluejet as the basis for their own 5000 colter cart. The 5000 was cheapened as the steel sections are all thinner in the frame of the colter cart. A CIH salesman told me the reason for the thinner steel frame sections was that the 5000 was only engineered for up to 20 feet colter carts where as the original Bluejet was engineered for up to 30 foot colter carts. I still use this setup although many people who had them have gotten rid of them. The worst problem with the 5400 was that the seed metering mechanism on mine is way off and not consistent across the width of the machine. I am not sure if it was a Friday afternoon special or this problem was endemic to the 5400. CIH were once a sales leader in drills but you rarely see any new machines in the 500 series they now sell. JD pretty well dominate the market here with their drills now.  

Archived