Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Farmall8061964

806 steering

My 806 has a problem with the steering. When moving you constantly have to be turning it to the left to keep it straight. I pulled the front steering line and cranked it to the left and oil came out of the line and not out of the front bolster. So it looks Lille the front end is ok but the hand pump will need a rebuild. Can a guy rebuild it himself or is it best to leave it and get a reman? Will that take care of my steering problem?

Pull that valve off just behind the left battery , you have a problem in there and the oil is by passing . It could be in the hand pump too but start with that first , it's and easy thing to look at . They don't normally give any trouble so if you want go to the salvage yard and get a used one to try .

Danny 

Which line did you pull off?  There should be three of them; one for left, one for right, and one leakage drain that returns oil in the center section back to the transmission through the oil cooler circuit.  On an 06 or 56 series tractor, it isn't as simple as a hand pump and the bolster; there is a pilot or control valve behind the left battery, above the MCV.  The handpump actuates the pilot valve and directs flow to the left or right side of the bolster piston.  Early pilot valves had an internal pressure relief valve as well; later models had that feature eliminated because there already is one in the MCV.  If the spool in that valve is hung up, sticky, or the spring is weak, you can get the behavior you describe.  The IH Service manual has a pretty in-depth procedure for troubleshooting steering issues.  There was also an updated spool centering spring used in the pilot valve on the later 806's to reduce steering effort and improve centering.  It made a big difference on mine when I updated it from the original.