Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

redequipmentfinder

1984 Cargo Star trying to find info on

I;m looking at a 1984 Cargo Star an the owner can't tell me very much about it, but it has a V8 diesel and a auto trans, I've only talked to him on the phone,  he gave me the vin number and I would like someone to decode it are any info on this truck would be great,   vin,  2HTD10357ECB10376     it's a single axel   CO  1850 B   101        an I would like to no what engine, what trans and what rear axel it has.   I would like something to haul tractors with that is under CDL and this truck has a GVW of 25,500 and  it only has 17,000 miles on it, it was supposedly owned buy the government,  any help would be great.   Thanks.   Mark

'84 1850, 466 eng., built Chatham, Ontario, Air Brakes, GVW over 26K #?? from some searches. Call/see a dealer for line setting.

Thanks Rainman   I sure hope it has the 466 engine instead of a V8.   are these pretty good dependable trucks.   Thanks  Mark

If it's a DV-550, run screaming into the night!

If it's a '84 with a V8 it wouldn't be a DV550 but would be a 9 liter and they were much better. Not as god as a DT466 but decent. 

A few were built with a 3208 cat. As for a DV-550 the engine is worth a lot to guys restoring a 14/1568

I hope it's a 466 but if not I would prefer a 3208, so a 9 liter is better than a DV550??  can you still get parts for a DV550 are a 9 liter and what would its horsepower be.   The owner thought it was a IH 6.9 liter but when I ask did it have glowplugs are a wait to start, he said no he just turns the key an it cranks right up.  He's to old to tilt the cab forward to take a picture, that's why I was hoping to find out the information on the truck through the VIN number before driving that far to check it out, thanks for information.   Mark

Mark if it's an 1850 I'm pretty sure it is not a 6.9.

Ok,Thanks Eason,  It's probably the 9 liter then,because in the picture I can see a little bit of the motor and it's not yellow. if so are the 9 liter engines  any good are pass it up?     Thanks     Mark

The 9 liter motors were decent. If it's a good deal otherwise I wouldn't be afraid of that motor. 

That being said if this is going to be something you use daily I would find something with a DT466. 

Ok.thanks   65806, It's something I would like to use maybe once a month on about a 1000 mile round trip, would the 9 liter be dependable enough something like that.   thanks    Mark

if it starts and sounds ok I wouldn't be afraid to give it s try. 

Also the 9 liters are better on fuel than a 466 when lightly loaded.

Ok thanks 65806 and Eason, i'm surprised that the 9 liter would get better fuel economy but that's good,  I'm going to try to deal with him on it before I go look at it.  I think he wants way to much for it, he wants $.4,500.   Thanks    Mark