Sign in to follow this  
hanniedog

5-20 auction 986

986 with ROPS and 1027 hrs on it. Can see on auctionzip use 9848 for auctioneer. Sharp tractor near Harrison Ohio.

Are those hours a misprint.  A 40+ year old tractor with 1000 hours.  Better have factory weather checked tires, still have some shine to the paint, no rust, no drawbar or 3-point wear.  Seat cushion not all ripped up.

Could be possible, some time capsules are out there. In 2003, when I bought my 1980 Tri Stripe 1086, I was only the second owner and it came to me with 1,3XX hours on it. I had the paperwork on it and the original operator's manual. As a 1980 model, it wasn't purchased and placed in to service until spring of 1983. 

I bought my 1994 CIH 7220 Magnum in 2004 when it was 10 years old. I was the second owner. I got it with 652 hours on it. The original owner was 84 years old when he bought it for himself in 1994. He retired at 94 in 2004, having put only 652 hours on the 7220. I was in the right place at the right time for that one. When I first got my 7220,  I did change out all the fluids and filters. Both machines were trouble free for me while I owned them.

Even my 1976 Black Stripe 1466 I sold this past winter was still under 2,000 hours when I sold it. They were  all the real deal, no joke. Three of the RP message board members here saw my tractors back when I was farming. They will vouch for the tractors. I sure hated to see those gems go.

So yes there are some low houred ones out there, you just have to dig them up or just have dumb luck or be at the right place at the right time to snag them if low hours is your goal. 

I would like to see this auction 986. As Doctor Evil mentioned above, you can usually always tell if the hours are genuine or not. 

Go to the auctionzip.com listing and look at the photos. Looks right to me. All the plastic enclosure for the ROPS is intact/

Wish they would have shown the serial number to find out what model year it is.  With the 4 post ROPS it could almost be a Taco tractor.  Few of those got 18.4x38 BFG tires like that one has.

It is a nice looking tractor for being 36 to 41 years old.

Just start counting your George Washington's and bring her home to ya Hannie. I don't do 5/20 auctions anymore, because i did 2 years ago and came back with a light checkbook and a 2300 hour 856.

41 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Wish they would have shown the serial number to find out what model year it is.  With the 4 post ROPS it could almost be a Taco tractor.  Few of those got 18.4x38 BFG tires like that one has.

It is a nice looking tractor for being 36 to 41 years old.

I thought the Taco Tractors were tri-stripes.  Eason

It's serial number is in the 14000s according to the picture on auction zip. 1977.

Well, that is the crappiest auction site I've ever seen.  I cant find where to search auctioneer # or what sale has the 986.  See on opening page a 1066 at a OH sale that looks good.

Can someone post the link to the page for the 986?

39 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Well, that is the crappiest auction site I've ever seen.  I cant find where to search auctioneer # or what sale has the 986.  See on opening page a 1066 at a OH sale that looks good.

Can someone post the link to the page for the 986?

Troy- go to auction zip page that lists auctioneers and at the top right of page type in the auctioneers number- 9848-

the auction will pop up with the 986 being on that page.

Sid

Found it. Looks legit to me. Thats amazing if it is.

The hours on that tractor are right. I know the guy he bought  the tractor new and then had health issues and then decided to rent the farm out. It has brush hogged around the farm and that is all it has done. 

7 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

Troy- go to auction zip page that lists auctioneers and at the top right of page type in the auctioneers number- 9848-

the auction will pop up with the 986 being on that page.

Sid

Thanks...man it needs to be in a museum not field!

I'd guess it's going to bring in the 20s someplace. I sure agree with you TroyDairy, she has no business being put back into service. Why ruin something after 40 years.

11 hours ago, hanniedog said:

Any bets on what she brings. I say $15,500

I'm going to place my guess at $18,500.00. Too bad it doesn't have the full cab on it and be a 1086 instead of a 986. We'll have to keep track of this thread and revisit it and discuss once the hammer has fallen. 

Did anyone see or hear what she brought? I hope it's not going to turn into a haymaking tractor or worse!

40 minutes ago, 856 Custom said:

Did anyone see or hear what she brought? I hope it's not going to turn into a haymaking tractor or worse!

Which would be a manure spreading tractor! Nothing like slinging manure to slowly destroy a tractor unless the owner/operator is meticulous!