U-C

Making Loose Hay

The first hay blowers for loose hay came on the Swiss market around the 1950s one of the first companies was AEBI and Lanker (both no longer make them but others still do but they look different though) 

Image result for aebi-heugeblaese-a

Image result for aebi-heugeblaese-a

• Like 1

In my childhood My sister & I shared a horse. She rode it, I shoveled $hit, cut hay, piled hay, fed hay, & trucked water.

Our father grew up on a farm. He already knew how. 

Much of the time someone had already mowed the hay, Other times we used a scythe. Drying, you'd imagine how it is done. The picking up was what amazed me. It got hand raked into small piles 6' diameter & 18" high. I was amazed that dad could fork a whole pile in one lift. He had a system. The forkfuls of hay were loaded on a flat trailer maybe 6x8. Four forks on the four corners, one in center. By the time he had piled on the trailer, it was 8' tall 12'wide. 

At home we had no hay mow. It got piled to shed weather. The stack was shaped like the trailer loads, but much higher, probably 16' tall. A small tarp kept rain & snow off the top. 

In my childhood My sister & I shared a horse. She rode it, I shoveled $hit, cut hay, piled hay, fed hay, & trucked water.

Our father grew up on a farm. He already knew how. 

Much of the time someone had already mowed the hay, Other times we used a scythe. Drying, you'd imagine how it is done. The picking up was what amazed me. It got hand raked into small piles 6' diameter & 18" high. I was amazed that dad could fork a whole pile in one lift. He had a system. The forkfuls of hay were loaded on a flat trailer maybe 6x8. Four forks on the four corners, one in center. By the time he had piled on the trailer, it was 8' tall 12'wide. 

At home we had no hay mow. It got piled to shed weather. The stack was shaped like the trailer loads, but much higher, probably 16' tall. A small tarp kept rain & snow off the top. 

We picked up a GEHL blower last week 

it has a drive unit to operate a live bottom chopper wagon to feed it

pictures to come later.

Mike

• Like 1

I still put up one stack for chicken house bedding. Much easier than un-ravelling a large round bale. Cut it with the Cub & 22 mower, and before that a #6 McD horse mower. Rake it with an old dump rake of unknown origin. Pile it up in "hay-cocks" then load 'em on a rack and haul up near the chicken house and stack on pallets around a pole. Stack is usually around 14' high, and I throw an old tarp over the top to keep the rain off. Use it as needed by raking it off the top and pitching in the house. The one stack lasts about a year, sometimes a little longer. I also cut some with a scythe about every other day just to pitch into the chickens, usually a couple wheelbarrow loads, and stack it up on a pallet. The hens really like the green grass, and it seems to improve the quality of egg they lay. And, there's something slightly soothing about using a scythe. Mine isn't like the ones used in the videos above. It's an American style, with an aluminum snath (handle) and a 30" grass blade. It can lay a lot of grass down in a hurry, but unfortunately I'm not so good at using it. But, its easier than swapping implements on the Cub all the time!

Mac

• Like 1