Sign in to follow this  
brewcrew

806 charging issue

My 806 hasn't been charging correctly for a while, so I tried changing the alternator with a couple we had sitting around. First was a no-go, and I thought the second was too. But I gave it a little throttle and it started charging- up to 16 volts! My battery charger was saying the alternator was working at 199%. That's not a good thing I'm thinking! I assume the internal regulator must be bad? Is there anything I can do other than replace it with a new alternator?  Thanks!

Might could peck on it lightly if you had just started it sometimes they will run a little high for a min or so if it Ac delco 72 I think they are about 50 bucks at advance 

If it has an internal regulator they aren't hard to change. If that tractor hasn't been converted it will have an external regulator under the steering column.

5 minutes ago, 1967806 said:

If it has an internal regulator they aren't hard to change. If that tractor hasn't been converted it will have an external regulator under the steering column.

Yes it's a new style internal regulator.

27 minutes ago, 1989 plowboy said:

Also try checking with a digital volt meter at the battery to get a true reading 

My tractor gauge was reading 16 volts, and the battery charger was reading excessive charging, though I didn't think to check volts on it.

Is the one under the steering column unhooked? It may be fighting the internal one in the alternator.

Make sure there is a wire connection from the output post to the #2 terminal. That is the terminal that monitors the output voltage.