Jump to content

Hydrostatic driven Farm Vehicles


U-C
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 9/24/2018 at 12:43 PM, dale560 said:

This is what every farmer should have. These Volvo 50s are hydrostatic drive and I think the Deere 444e are and maybe some other brands are.

08AE1481-391E-41D2-A3FF-F1EF8533A0E1.png

From what I’ve seen, those early mechanically controlled hydro wheel loaders could turn into a nightmare if that control went on the fritz.  I’d a lot rather have a torque convertor.  I sure like the L50 size though.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

2.5 acres mown with a 11.5 feet cutter bar in 20 minutes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/17/2017 at 12:48 AM, U-C said:

Here is a Versatile promotional film of there Generation 4 Swather:

Has anyone driven one of this or older models and what did you think of them?

The 400 Versatile was a great swather. Simple and easy to work on.

Versatile sold thousands of these in South Dakota alone.

Almost everyone owned one and used for both hay and grain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2021 at 7:43 PM, Diesel Doctor said:

The 400 Versatile was a great swather. Simple and easy to work on.

Versatile sold thousands of these in South Dakota alone.

Almost everyone owned one and used for both hay and grain.

They were everywhere. I can still remember a few of the part numbers of common wear items. Then poof, they were gone. I think quite a few went to Mexico.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, cedar farm said:

They were everywhere. I can still remember a few of the part numbers of common wear items. Then poof, they were gone. I think quite a few went to Mexico.

The scrap yard was an appropriate place. I ran one of those miserable sob’s a lot. The happiest day of my life is when it left. A 4000 Ihc and a Hesston pulll type replaced it. Both were built a lot better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dale560 said:

The scrap yard was an appropriate place. I ran one of those miserable sob’s a lot. The happiest day of my life is when it left. A 4000 Ihc and a Hesston pulll type replaced it. Both were built a lot better.

The 400 was alright if you packed a welder with you.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2021 at 6:43 PM, Diesel Doctor said:

The 400 Versatile was a great swather. Simple and easy to work on.

Versatile sold thousands of these in South Dakota alone.

Almost everyone owned one and used for both hay and grain.

They were extremely popular here too and there are still alot of them around sitting in fence rows.  But a great swather I disagree.  Versatile was 10 years behind everybody else in their header design plus they were built light.  We ran a pair of 400s along with a IH 4000 for a short time.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dale560 said:

The scrap yard was an appropriate place. I ran one of those miserable sob’s a lot. The happiest day of my life is when it left. A 4000 Ihc and a Hesston pulll type replaced it. Both were built a lot better.

I never ran one. But on the parts side they were great. Lots of belts. Bearings on the draper rollers. Quite a few 4000's in our area as well. On the parts side they weren't near as good. Only sold guards, sickles and sections.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Big Bud guy said:

They were extremely popular here too and there are still alot of them around sitting in fence rows.  But a great swather I disagree.  Versatile was 10 years behind everybody else in their header design plus they were built light.  We ran a pair of 400s along with a IH 4000 for a short time.   

Dad had 3 of the 400 series they were okay when he bought them in the 70s he always ran 2 18 then 20 foots. The older angled exhaust swathers were better. They ran belts between wheel drives and hydro motors. The newer 78 and later had motors on first drive chain. You could tear drive chains a lot easier the belt had some give on older ones. The header and pitman drive was okay for a year or two but if any abuse to them they were a money pit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Boils down to after being a skeptic  on IH hydro tractors ,being raised IH,on Hydro drive combines and gear drive tractors that IH hydro tractors you didn't want to farm with.That came with no practical experience, just brothers, neighbors and every Tom,Dick and Harry that never owned one,drove one but knew it all anyway.

But after owning two for many years now my opinion has changed from never owning one to never being WITHOUT ONE.

Like other hydro owners,I got nothing bad to say about them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

They were extremely popular here too and there are still alot of them around sitting in fence rows.  But a great swather I disagree.  Versatile was 10 years behind everybody else in their header design plus they were built light.  We ran a pair of 400s along with a IH 4000 for a short time.   

The 4000 that dad bought was a one owner machine. Moms first cousin bought it new and I bought his 1066 when he quit , dad bought the swather a bit later. He told us the story on how he chose the 4000 over a 400 versatile. He took the price of each machine and divided it by the the weight of the machine. The ihc 4000 cost a little more but was cheaper by the pound so he bought that one. Our local ihc dealer was a versatile dealer also but they seemed to push the short line stuff over the ihc stuff. Probably more profit in the short line machines.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, dale560 said:

The 4000 that dad bought was a one owner machine. Moms first cousin bought it new and I bought his 1066 when he quit , dad bought the swather a bit later. He told us the story on how he chose the 4000 over a 400 versatile. He took the price of each machine and divided it by the the weight of the machine. The ihc 4000 cost a little more but was cheaper by the pound so he bought that one. Our local ihc dealer was a versatile dealer also but they seemed to push the short line stuff over the ihc stuff. Probably more profit in the short line machines.

Farmers here were tight wads when it came to swathers.  That’s why Versatiles 400s were popular and it’s why JD 800s were popular even though JD offered hydro swathers at the same time as the 800.  

Our IH dealer sold Versatile too.  Hate to say it but was a smart decision because they made a killing selling the 4 wheel drive tractors when IH’s own 4x4s were mediocre at best.  But our 4000 came from a different IH dealer.  It was our first swather with a hay header and it also came with a 25ft draper.  Versatile started loosing out when they didn’t update their swathers while JD plowed ahead with the 2320/2280 and IH likewise with the 4000/5000. The Versatile 4400 was still the same old design as the 400 just with a nice cab and 4 wheels.    That 4700 should have been out early 80s at the latest.  
 

Double swathing was common here and the problem with Versatile 400s was they only had a small deflector shield on the end of the header for the crop to fall on and drop over from the end of the header opening.  That left about a foot or less of room for the end of the header on the next pass.  You had to really be watching to make sure you didn’t mess up the windrow when dropping the 2nd one next to it.  However on a JD, they used a small extra canvass on the end to drop the windrow a good 2ft or so from the end of the header opening making plenty of room for the header on the next pass.   
 
So what happened is guys that ran two 400s would trade one off for a JD and have it lead he way while the 400 followed.  Then after awhile they would trade the other 400 for a JD.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Farmers here were tight wads when it came to swathers.  That’s why Versatiles 400s were popular and it’s why JD 800s were popular even though JD offered hydro swathers at the same time as the 800.  

Our IH dealer sold Versatile too.  Hate to say it but was a smart decision because they made a killing selling the 4 wheel drive tractors when IH’s own 4x4s were mediocre at best.  But our 4000 came from a different IH dealer.  It was our first swather with a hay header and it also came with a 25ft draper.  Versatile started loosing out when they didn’t update their swathers while JD plowed ahead with the 2320/2280 and IH likewise with the 4000/5000. The Versatile 4400 was still the same old design as the 400 just with a nice cab and 4 wheels.    That 4700 should have been out early 80s at the latest.  
 

Double swathing was common here and the problem with Versatile 400s was they only had a small deflector shield on the end of the header for the crop to fall on and drop over from the end of the header opening.  That left about a foot or less of room for the end of the header on the next pass.  You had to really be watching to make sure you didn’t mess up the windrow when dropping the 2nd one next to it.  However on a JD, they used a small extra canvass on the end to drop the windrow a good 2ft or so from the end of the header opening making plenty of room for the header on the next pass.   
 
So what happened is guys that ran two 400s would trade one off for a JD and have it lead he way while the 400 followed.  Then after awhile they would trade the other 400 for a JD.  

Dads last 400 was a double swath set up. I had to run it a lot after 1983 until we got different swathers in 94. The double swath header and the chain drive is where my hatred of a versatile 400 comes from. Used to swath over 2000 acres a year with it. Dad sold the other older 400 in 1985. The canvas wouldn’t shift from dirt buildup making life frustrating. When swathing decent wheat and barley double you needed a 11 ft pickup. My disdain for a 400 was well earned. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Jacka said:

Boils down to after being a skeptic  on IH hydro tractors ,being raised IH,on Hydro drive combines and gear drive tractors that IH hydro tractors you didn't want to farm with.That came with no practical experience, just brothers, neighbors and every Tom,Dick and Harry that never owned one,drove one but knew it all anyway.

But after owning two for many years now my opinion has changed from never owning one to never being WITHOUT ONE.

Like other hydro owners,I got nothing bad to say about them.

I agree. And if you have to put a ta and some gears , bearings and shifter parts in a gear tractor you can easily spend as much as a complete overhaul of a hydro

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...