question on 350 one wire alternator

pt756

slowly getting the 350 back together, have put on a one wire alternator, not that good on wiring stuff, my questions are would both terminals on the ammeter aleays be hot with the key off? and with the one wire alternator would the wire to the alternator terminal always be hot with the key off? and it seems that I left the key during milking and the coil was kind of warm to the touch, we did eliminate the regulator so we just ran one wire from the ammeter to the alternator and one wire from the push button to the coil, thanks for help

You're wiring should pretty much look like this. With a one wire, terminals 1 and 2 and the warning light are not used/don't exist just the "BAT" wire.  The ammeter will be hot on both sides, the alternator wire is connected to the battery through the ammeter so it will always be hot. Also the diagram does not show the push button for starting which is wired to the key switch.

58e7779e61088_12Volts.jpg.9f49b31eb563c2a10aee383d960cad28.jpg

Just now, brahamfireman said:

Because current was flowing through it, that's how they work. Unless your points happened to stop open there is current flowing through it.

Right, the coil is just a transformer, The primary coil passes current through the points to ground when the key is on and is therefor consuming power and dissipating it as heat. It is best not to leave the key on although nothing other than a dead battery should result if everything is in good shape.  This is why the "accessory" positions were added to ignition switches so as to allow operation of lights, radios and the like while keeping the ignition system off.

also according to the diagram I should run a wire from the resistor to the one of the small posts on the solenoid did not seem like there was anything on thee before is that what the other small post on the solenoid is for? I know one of the posts gets the starter going the other one I don't know anything about thanks.

That schematic shows a 4 wire solenoid that gives 12v to coil while cranking. Helps give stronger spark for starting. 

If yours didn't have it before and starts fine than you don't need to add it. Changing to one wire alternator has no effect on that. 

A "one wire" or self-exiting alternator needs no regulator or the attending wires. One hot wire to the big post, that's it. The alt. self starts when it reaches a certain RPM, something like 1000, and cuts out when it stops turning. There is no wiring for the amp light, it will not work in this application. The amp gauge will still work normally.

Archived