MTO

Hauling hay to Kansas

I apologize for being in the dark on this subject but I saw a video of dozens of trucks hauling round bales to Kansas

Is this from the fires?

A bunch of good old boys from Ohio taking 30 loads of hay to Ashland. Milk replacer and fencing supplies also.

Wow!

Saw a short clip on the news this morning, I didn't catch the whole thing. It showed several goosenecks full of hay headed west. I didn't know anything about the fires.

Alan

Quite a few feed stores and sale barns taking donations for them around here. Same thing as a few years back when the Dakotas got that blizzard in the middle of calving season. Cattlemen quietly taking care of cattlemen.

I think this was taken in Missouri. On the way to Kansas. Found it on FB.

Someone mentioned I-70 and highway 54 in a comment. The road in this pic isn't an interstate, so might be 54. Or 50?

Hay train.jpg

Simple question, never having dealt with round bales, how much do they weigh? I think there are 17 on those trucks, I would think that is a load even for a 1 ton.

That's quite the sight. Nice to see so many banding together to help out.

I'm not sure what size the bales are but if they're 5×6 they should be at least 1300 lbs each, so yes it would be a decent load.

2 hours ago, timbo1946 said:

Simple question, never having dealt with round bales, how much do they weigh? I think there are 17 on those trucks, I would think that is a load even for a 1 ton.

If you are trying to buy them from Joe Blow they weigh 1700 lbs. If you were to try to sell them to Joe Blow they only weigh  1200 lbs.

If they the bales in the picture are over 1300 lbs. are they over loaded? Unless #12000 axles?

13 hours ago, Steve C. said:

I think this was taken in Missouri. On the way to Kansas. Found it on FB.

Someone mentioned I-70 and highway 54 in a comment. The road in this pic isn't an interstate, so might be 54. Or 50?

Hay train.jpg

That's on 50/63 east of Jeff City. They were stopped for the second blowout since they left Belle. They have a few t posts I donated on one of those trucks. 

What an unselfish bunch!

6 hours ago, WishIhada1466 said:

That's on 50/63 east of Jeff City. They were stopped for the second blowout since they left Belle. They have a few t posts I donated on one of those trucks. 

Did the whole convoy start out in Belle?

Most Heartwarming story  i have seen ANYWHERE  in a long time !! Wish National news would pick it  up .Still Lots of good people left .Thanks  for posting !

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1370424122979999&id=125042027518221

Nothing to do with  hay ,  but when i was on the wheat harvest  i cut wheat for this man (stan hazen ) & his dad &brother.

Gave me chills when i read this.

I worked out there for 7 yrs  in protection, & Ashland  kansas area . Lots of good people !

3 minutes ago, oneharvester said:

https://www.facebook.com/NACustomHarvesters/

Nothing to do with  hay ,  but when i was on the wheat harvest  i cut wheat for this man (stan hazen ) & his dad &brother.

Gave me chills when i read this.

I worked out there for 7 yrs  in protection, & Ashland  kansas area . Lots of good people !

Guess I'll have to try again on the link ,

Is anybody from Kansas part of this forum?  Maybe they have seen something on the news and can post it here.

Im from eastern ks, nothing on the news here, facebook is the best place for pics & video . I've found North  American  custom harvesters on Facebook to be a good source

53 loads left Perry Mi. sat. morning headed to Ashland..........current report is they have arrived.   3or4 are headed on to Colorado.

Remember that it is not only Clark County, where Ashland is located, but these fires were also to the South and West of there in Oklahoma, and the Texas Panhandle, as well as in Northern Kansas, and Northeastern Colorado.

Since probably 99.9 percent of the local fire departments are volunteer, I would think that any of these departments would appreciate a donation.

The little bit that I gave went to a couple of places in Ashland, mainly because I loved that country when I was working in Bucklin, and my Dad used to get his feeder calves from that area.

And you all are correct, these fires received almost no national coverage, undoubtedly because they occurred in 'flyover country'.

RfdTV and Rural Radio are doing a good job of getting information out about the fires.there have been some heart wrenching articles and videos on facebook too. NCBA (National Cattlemens Beef Association) for one has quite a bit on facebook about the terrible aftermath of the fires.

Not only has feed and grass been lost but also great percentages of ranchers herds and even worse atleast 7 human lives were lost.

Thanks for posting , nice to hear  about Americans helping Americans . 

Anyone know who to contact about this? I would donate a load of net wrapped bales if someone was willing to haul them. With my schedule I doubt I could make it. actually I could muster up a couple loads I am sure. And even better yet are there any forum members affected or that know of good farmers in actual need? I read the earlier post and nobody mentioned members in need.

8 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Anyone know who to contact about this? I would donate a load of net wrapped bales if someone was willing to haul them. With my schedule I doubt I could make it. actually I could muster up a couple loads I am sure. And even better yet are there any forum members affected or that know of good farmers in actual need? I read the earlier post and nobody mentioned members in need.

If you find someone to haul the hay, especially to a member let us know please

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 7:23 AM, timbo1946 said:

Guys around here make em anywhere from about 900 to 1800 pounds. They can go bigger. Those in the picture using the size of the trucks to go by I'd guess in the 1300 pound range. Nice size and no big flat spots from being baled too loose.

Yea that's a load for even a 1 ton but doable. At 1300 pounds per that's 22,100 plus the truck and trailer. Looks like the lead truck has a dually tandem axle trailer. We see that a lot here although they most often are only going a few miles. Few guys use triple axle trailers with singles but that seems to only last a couple of years before they upgrade. Most of the newer 1 tons will pull that with no problem and providing that ALL of the brakes function as designed may even stop it when grandma pulls out in front of them.

It's good that this is taking place before most farmers are in their busy season and great that these people are willing to share! The problem I have is the word "reimburse" keeps coming up in the news stories. As in "they need reimbursed". OK, if they are covered by insurance then yes they need reimbursed. If they find that arson is to blame then they need reimbursed. But help from other farmers and generous people making donations is a helping hand, not reimbursement. State and the federal government stepping in and giving aid is not reimbursement either because nothing is owed. I'd much rather see tax dollars going to help here than say to a foreign country that hates us. But lets call it what it is, a helping hand. Maybe if we called it what it is others would get the notion that you are not entitled to that help, that your friends and neighbors, people you don't even know through their tax dollars are giving you a helping hand, be it a devastating flood, fire, storm, drought or earthquake! Weather you live in a city, rural community or farm, we as a people by simply paying our taxes helping out. And you seldom see many yelling about tax dollars being spent this way.

Thanks guys for posting this information. I will be making a donation to someone later today. I too am thinking of the VFD's.

Rick