Gleaner k2

Thinking about getting a 2+2 3588 to get alittle more hp to help out 966 and 986! I have never drove one what should I look for im familiar with the rearend but thats it this one has 4000 hours and fat single tires

Center pivot tight? Not weighted up front too much? They tend to be reasonable price for the horsepower and traction

It just takes a little to get used to, then you will love it! It will pull a ton and go through more! Just check front end oil level, make sure it was greased and tight at pivot! Good hp for money! We had a 1066 and dad traded that in for a 3388, we could get in earlier, and pull chopper and full wagon of silage through mud and wouldn't stop! Love mine!

They are great tractors. We have a 3588, there is a learning curve with steering them because the seat is behind, but it becomes second nature. They are animals when it gets sloppy out, not much it can't go through. Things to look for same as above, loose pivot, bad carrier bearings on drive shafts, and transfer case oil. They have a expensive muffler if it gets bad. We have had ours around 20 years with very minor problems and it has 10,000 hours. Prices are going up a little on them, not very many made and good ones are becoming collectible. Good luck. 

I absolutely love my 3588! Goes through anything, plenty of power and easy on fuel. Treat it like a front wheel assist tractor and not a 4wd and it will last a long time. 

Ummm, I think this thread requires pictures???  Come on, give it up....what's the tractor you are thinking of buying look like?  Tease us!! :D

Sounds like the 2+2 your looking at has 23.1x30 tires.  Those became a common option after a 2+2 at the Farm Progress show in about 1979 had them.  There was special duals for them but special stops for the steering cylinders were needed to mount all four and not have the tires lock lugs on the insides of turns.  Most guys just ran duals on the back.

Yep, run them like a 130, 150, or 170 HP FWA tractor and they are fine.  Try to run them like a 300-400hp  four wheel drive and they won't last long.

Neighbor used to chisel plow behind my house with a 3588 a couple nights every fall.  Listening to that DT-466 scream sent shivers up&down my spine!  Like the Energizer Bunny, it just kept going and going and going!   He uses an MX-210 and MX-200 now, and a sharp looking 1486.

On 3/21/2017 at 8:21 PM, 1566 3588 said:

I absolutely love my 3588! Goes through anything, plenty of power and easy on fuel. Treat it like a front wheel assist tractor and not a 4wd and it will last a long time. 

Ditto ^^

we had one for a awhile. Like was said they have lots of traction. Don't turn it up and it will be fine. The 4wd train is not meant for 200+ hp