Want more info on GM transfer case wear/holes

New Englander

Rather than hijack the " I bought a Yukon thread" I'll start a new one.

Several posters made me aware that there is a "pump rub" phenomenon that occurs on GM 2500HD and 3500HD transfer cases.  How common is it? After how many miles? Does it only happen to vehicles that use FWD often or even if it spends most of the time in two wheel?

I've got one and I intend on keeping it for some years.

TIA

If you go on ebay and type in transfer case pump upgrade you will find what you need to keep you going.

I have no idea how someone would take a tcase out every two years on a recurring basis. Mine had 150k miles on it before I even put the update in. It was beginning to wear.  Even if it does rub all the way through you can just replace the back half of the case.  I believe dorman makes that kit 

I should mention that a large majority of that mileage was towing... I don't know anyone who takes out a tcase every year, or every other year. Even every 5 years. Something is awry with your info.

it does happen to over 8600 cases more often , usually over 150000 , type of use makes no difference the pump turns all the time when main shaft is turning . we usually just throw a back half on them aftermarket or gm , and have never seen one back , like I said before  inspect yoke replace if any scoring , rear bearing for play up and down and roughness , keep it full of the correct fluid , if it has auto button it has a viscous clutch and should be serviced more if the auto is used a lot and keep the same size brand and tread pattern on all auto transfer cases   

Mine had 199k on with last 99k heavy towing.  Guy who got it lost it at 205k.  Funny is that when it happened to my friend on a new to him 03 2500hd at 160k I'd never heard of it before then.  And till my old 05 never again.  I would assume 75+% of my friends have gm along with all of my extended family.  But dealer here keeps 1 in stock.  Sounds like servicein them is important.  Guy who serviced dad's 14 2500 said same thing, do tcase like every 50k not 100k.  Cheap insurance.  Not sure it will make big dif but brothers 11 2500 with 70k had quite brown oil when we changed it.  Lots of towing.  Switched to synthetic now, same as I did with my 05 at 100k. 

6 hours ago, ZachGrant said:

If you go on ebay and type in transfer case pump upgrade you will find what you need to keep you going.

Thanks. I Googled it and came up with lots of info. I'm going to throw the simple and cheap steel plate at mine. I'll get it up on the lift shortly and check it out. It seems cheap insurance rather than perhaps let it wear through, loose oil and destroy a perfectly good box.

This thread is good info. Dad's has 300000 km and it just let go. Lots of others never been touched but it's about the only issue I've heard with these transfer cases. Other than the auto 4 clutches going out. My 1500hd is like that right now. Where's the best place to get parts for the clutch pack in those? 

The xfer case is original in our 93 K2500 454 4L80 tranny currently 217,000. Only casualty in the drive train has been the 4L80.  It only lasted 23 years!

I have seen one of the types of failures where the xfer case developed a hole from wear.  It was in a K2500 HD (9100 GVW) automatic diesel. Happened at around 140K miles, owner always drives like he is in a funeral possession. .

The repair bill was around $900.

The affected tcase is the 263 xhd, mine rubbed through and wore the shift fork out in no time. The replacement is upgraded and seems to be fine. I got 120k out of first one and am at 210 on replacement. Amsoil synthetic in everything on truck.

Archived