MTO

Famous people you have met

5 hours ago, oleman said:

Admiral HUEME RICKOVER, the Father of the nuclear US NAVY.

He personally fired LTCDR Jimmy Carter (went on to be President) from the the USN Submarine Force.

Carter in turn, terminated Rickover after becoming President, from his position.

The above is either fake news or doesn't know historical facts.

POTUS Carter was not "fired/demoted/reprimanded" by Rickover and there was no retribution by President Carter (for what did not happen) during his Presidency against Rickover.

Actually Admiral Rickover was forced into retirement in 1982 after Carter's Presidency had expired, and under Ronald Reagan's administration.

You don't believe me?  Look it up.  What you'll find is not fake news, but instead hard cold on the record fact.

I have never moved much in the circles where famous people traveled, but the most memorable person I ever met was a retired border patrolman named Bill Jordan  Among other things he was the world fast draw champion for several years and wrote an interesting though too short book on some of his memories as a border patrolman.  He signed my copy of his book at Camp Perry about 45 or so years ago.

oh, and I forgot,

Garth Brooks wrote a song about me and most of you guys too

Much Too Young [to feel this da^^n old]

Depends on the definition of "met", My brother and I threw David Suzuki in the Fraser River one time............Oh, and I had some phone conversations with Raymond Collishaw in about 1960 or so. Great guy.

On 2/18/2017 at 10:55 PM, lorenzo said:

Ford stops in Lincoln often to have his Lear serviced at Duncan aviation. 

It's just a little thing but not all business jets are Learjets, in fact, they are now sort of a small player despite being pioneers. Ford's is not a Lear but a Cessna Citation Sovereign.

He's got quite a fleet. Screwed up and landed on a taxiway the others, over an airliner!

2 hours ago, New Englander said:

It's just a little thing but not all business jets are Learjets, in fact, they are now sort of a small player despite being pioneers. Ford's is not a Lear but a Cessna Citation Sovereign.

He's got quite a fleet. Screwed up and landed on a taxiway the others, over an airliner!

Your right,  I used the word loosely . I have never Seen any of his planes besides the news footage of the one he recently crashed .

He hasn't been in for over 10 years now.

2 hours ago, R Pope said:

Depends on the definition of "met", My brother and I threw David Suzuki in the Fraser River one time............Oh, and I had some phone conversations with Raymond Collishaw in about 1960 or so. Great guy.

Unfortunately someone helped him back out! ;)

The Fraser is about 10 miles from me.

Got to shake hands with and talk to mandolin player extraordinaire David Grisman backstage at the Birchmere in Alexandria VA back in the 80's. Heck of a nice guy. 

This is an interesting topic, at first I couldn't think of any.  I do a lot of work with Jenifer O Neil, She called Me today wanting Me to come by and prep an area some military guys volunteered to clear.  

Met Sarah Palen at the National Tea party in 08 and Got My pic with Her.

Worked at Garth Brooks place here but He was never around then.  Wife and oldest girl sat beside Him at a play when girl was 3, He held her seat down since whe didn't weigh enough.  

Years ago a girlfriend won tickets with backstage passes to a Bob Seger concert in Memphis.  Took a taxi there since We were consuming adult beverages.  I stood behind Her when He came in the room to meet people.  When time to go We asked the local guy where a phone was to call a cab, He said wait a minute.  Ended up they had two limos for the band and We road in one.  Everyone else got in the other so We had one to ourselves, walking in hotel Bob happen to end up walking with us.  They were small talking when He looked around Her and said He didn't get My name and shook hands.  Nice guy, didn't have to say anything and it would have been fine.

The guy that ran lights for Lynyrd Skynyrd and was on the plane that crashed.  

Keith Erickson, played for UCLA under Wooden when Bill Walton was there, then for Lakers when they won a ring, super nice guy!!

I can't think of any others now.

I've only met one famous person. Former MLB player Joe Crede. I've been out to his farm a couple of times to work on his round baler. He helped me put new belts on it on a 90 degree day. I saw him today in fact. He came in to get a tooth bar for his skid steer bucket. Nice fella.

Senior and Junior Bush, Senior (before he was POTUS) I sat and talked to for almost an hour. Junior after he was POTUS.  Met Slick Willie and his wife back when he was governor. (First impressions were only reenforced as the years went by. Especially Mrs.) Probably a dozen various Senators and movie stars. Helped Peter Fonda fix the sink drain in his kitchen. Spent a few afternoons at his place in MT downing a few cold ones. Michael Keaton is another star who is just an ordinary guy. Jeff Bridges is a pr**k. Handful of sports people. Bob Kerry, Navy SEAL MOH recipient.  Sorry, but except for the Bushes, the rest put there pants on just like me.

Marian Mcknight Conway Miss America 1957 lives next door,her husband Gary Conway stared in Burke's Law and Land of the Giants back in the 60's. To bad I cannot say he is a nice guy.

King Vidor early Hollywood move director live close by and his ranch manager and my dad were good friends so I saw him many times,as well as his girl friend Colleen Moore who was a star in the silent move era. 

Have to agree with Tony the people here are much nicer to spend time with.

6 hours ago, dads706 said:

Senior and Junior Bush, Senior (before he was POTUS) I sat and talked to for almost an hour.

My wife and I were in a restaurant in Maine called On The Marsh. Secret service guy and hostess approached and asked if we minded sitting in the same room with George and Barbra! Of course not! They sat across the room and had no interaction. My wife came back from the ladies room and told me she just had a conversation with Barbra! She said it was just exchanged pleasantries and that Barbra was as nice as you'd expect.

I forgot I met Bill Clinton several times back when he was governor of Arkansas.  He wasn't really famous at the time.  Just a politician looking for votes.  However Sam Walton was famous when I met him.  Thx-Ace

9 hours ago, acem said:

However Sam Walton was famous when I met him.  Thx-Ace

Sam answered his own phone! My wife was aircraft dispatcher/scheduler for a big insurance company . They scheduled a meeting to discuss WM's insurance needs, most likely worker's comp, and she called the contact number to arrange aircraft details expecting to talk to a secretary but Sam picked up the phone!

I've met several "famous" people, like George Strait at a small town cafe in Pearsall, Texas. I met Reba McIntyre at a concert in Tulsa, Okla. A friend of mine drove one of the sound equipment trucks. They had added a big light show and needed a driver for a extra truck during the weekend. Friend called me and asked if I would take it to Tulsa.  So I was backstage for several of her shows.

But the person I remember most was a old pilot and crop duster named "marvelous Marvin" Gardner. Every year in the fall he would bring 3 Stearman's to defoliate cotton. I would ride my bicycle about 4 miles to the dirt strip they used and watch them takeoff and land. Later on in the late 70's I was a "Honorary member" of the CAF (back when it was the Confederate Air Force instead the PC Commemorative Air Force) and I met "Lefty" as he was also known by at air shows when he flew his P-38 called White Lightning.

Randy Sohn can give more details but if I remember right Lefty flew in the right seat when they originally brought Fifi from Cal. to Texas for the very first time.

On 2/18/2017 at 8:54 PM, edwardporter1 said:

When I was a kid I met Durwood Kirby of candid camera. My daughter saw Harrison Ford at a farmers market. She approached him politely to say hello. He grumbled and walked away . A$$$hole!

Snoopy meets Harrison Ford.jpg

On 2/17/2017 at 11:40 PM, tony in ca. said:

Speaking of ;  All the guys I follow on red power forum.   

Especially when we have our pictures taken at Mike Link's

Most people don't understand, but I think all the guys I have met at Red Power Roundups are ROCK STARS !;)

Gee , Reading this back to myself, I must have a very sheltered life.:(

There is one who sticks out in my mind . That is our RP member, H.D. I met him at Sedalia Mo. RPRU. He had just gotten out of hospital and was wearing a oxygen cannula .

Quite a fella & I met his wife and she was really looking after him.

H.D. if your reading this ! Take a bow & say Hi ! If not ,I think Boog was who kept us posted on H.D. when he was in hospital. Please let us know how he is doing.

Love ya Man!

Tony

These so called famous people don't hold a candle to the real people here.  Farmers & old tractor guys & Aggies or country folk in general are the Rock Stars of America IMHO.

Tony I couldn't agree more.   HD's visit at my trailer at Sedalia redpower will forever be one my number one highlights of all redpowers.   It was a special moment with him and his wife and one that I will never forget.  

I haven't met anyone famous either other than all the folks here and as mentioned to many to count.  Look forward to each and every year.  

Mike

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:44 PM, MTO said:

oh, and I forgot,

Garth Brooks wrote a song about me and most of you guys too

Much Too Young [to feel this da^^n old]

HEY !

I thought that was written for ME !

Tony