rare tractor for this area

gafarm49

I guess it's a matter of opinion….

It is a unique tractor, and cheap horsepower with the DT436.

It's kinda sloppy, as far as doing any long row straight-line tillage.  It's kinda like a "hunt-seek" autopilot on an old boat. It wanders back and forth while in 4wheel steer mode, but the average holds the general path. For me, here in NH rocky soil, even the truest tracking tractor(say that 3 times fast…) wanders in this type of soil.  In 2wheel steer mode, it tracks relatively straight.

For a big tractor, it turns quite sharp with the 4wheel crab steering.

I don't imagine you do much snowplowing in Georgia, but they are great for that! I move mountains of snow with this beast.

If I recall, I have read that there is a weak bearing somewhere in the drivetrain. I have had mine for quite some time and have had no issues with the tractor at all. I pull a heavy set of 15' Athens bog harrows through some pretty rugged soil, but I don't push it. I could run it probably 500-700 rpms higher and a gear or two taller than I do. But I operate on the idea that "slower is faster".  (Working steady means less breakdowns and less wear and tear. Working tractors hard means more maintenance and breakdowns, which effectively turns into a slower operation.)

I love my 4166, but they aren't everyone's cup o' tea.    Because of that, you could probably pick one up pretty cheap.  All depends what you want to do with it and how well it could fit in your operation.   I have several 5-10 acre fields that tend to be anything but square, a lot of off-camber, and rocky and heavy. The 4166 makes short work of it.   In fact, with the 4 remotes, I used a little Yankee ingenuity and fabricated a way to pull a 10' set of Athens harrows behind the 15' set that are hooked to the tractor, on certain fields. Slow and steady and keeping on top of the depths of each set and tillage gets done fast!

Be interesting to hear the opinions of others. Like I said, they're not for everyone, but works great for me.

IH 4166.jpg

pic of my '74 4166.

9 hours ago, tony in ca. said:

That's a beauty.

Thank you.  

Used to have one, rough riding, uncomfortable, slow down the road, cumbersome, prone to drop box and transmission problems, some parts are NLA. On the plus side, great in the mud, good power with the DT-436. A large part of my brain and body says if I never saw one again it would be too soon. A small part of me says......ya know one of those would make a decent cart tractor....hmmm, maybe if I got a good deal.........:huh:

This is the old girl back in its heyday

4166 planter-2.png

The 4100s were popular around here, never have seen a 4156, and I only l know of one 4166.  Popularity of them seemed to have tapered off rapidly once 4x4 articulated tractors proved themselves namely Versatile and Stieger.  Course our nearest IH dealer sold Versatile back then and pushed those over everything IH tried to compete with.

We have 4166 and like it. The 4 wheel steering has given us a bit of trouble, but otherwise it's been good. They'll walk through mud better than any other tractor I've seen and they pull good for 160 hp. We pulled out 28' air seeder with it for a few years. Now we put a 10' blade w' 2' extension. That's a snow moving rig! 

Not the best picture but that 4166 pulled the first 12 row planter anywhere around here, in a time the normal size was 4.

12 row planter.png

No, its father-in-laws 4366

Local IH dealer had a few out in the day and they sold sweep plows and the dealers mechanic would open up the pumps and the transfer case or drop box gave a lot of trouble. They were not the horse a 2470 was and rapidly were taken off the big sweep plows. Most were replaced with versatile or steigers

Yup lighted M's on all the big tractors and the trucks. Burning lots of diesel fuel in those good ole days

Farm name. Was popular thing in the early 80's on OTR trucks back then to have lighted initial on front. I know one farm in WNY that still has them on their trucks but don't see it much these days.

Cool pics chris! I drove a crab steer case once and it was worn out,(construction tractor) but when the steering worked it was really handy on the water tank. That pig was beyond rough and rattled like crazy.

Archived