Other forums discussing our red tractors

I been reading some other forums man they sure smash our red tractors! I swear on agtalk idk how my family lived four generations of owning pre 1985 red tractors! I think thier our some peope who didnt like maintenance and didnt want to operate them as they were ment to be operated! O well

20 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

It just goes both ways.  I know farmers that got a long just fine with non red junk tractors that are bashed on this forum. 

X2

Red or green, ford or Chevy, firestone or BFG, 30wt or 15w-40

everyone has there preference and a reason for it

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

X2

Red or green, ford or Chevy, firestone or BFG, 30wt or 15w-40

everyone has there preference and a reason for it

X3

and that's just the stuff we are allowed to discuss. If you want vicious and brutal, try out politics. 

#1 in 1985 Tennaco could have purchased any farm equipment manufacturer they wanted except JD, They bought IH! 'nuf said there ?

#2 I have some experience with Allis and despite the fact I am not a big fan I could have farmed with them or any other brand for that matter. A lot is about the operator IMHO

2 hours ago, Gleaner k2 said:

I been reading some other forums man they sure smash our red tractors! I swear on agtalk idk how my family lived four generations of owning pre 1985 red tractors! I think thier our some peope who didnt like maintenance and didnt want to operate them as they were ment to be operated! O well

There are other forums?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think dealer presence makes a pretty big difference. There are no Agco dealers close to me. Deere is 25 miles either way and IH is 3 miles.

7 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

I personally think AG talk is one of the better ag forums out there.  I read that first every day.

X2. Agtalk and Red Power are about the only two I frequent. And that uses up plenty of my free time as it is......

51 minutes ago, 1967806 said:

I think dealer presence makes a pretty big difference.

I think that says it all.  

Especially back in the pre-war years when there was a dealer,  of some brand,  in most all rural towns

Dealers that took good care of their customers sold the most equipment no matter what color.

46 minutes ago, Mark (EC,IN) said:

I think that says it all.  

Especially back in the pre-war years when there was a dealer,  of some brand,  in most all rural towns

Dealers that took good care of their customers sold the most equipment no matter what color.

That's what took place out here.   Allied Equipment had everything RED. Sold out to new company. With concern only for bottom line, after a while all the good employees left went to Fresno Equipment Co. a J.D. dealer, Soon the 4020 came on the seen. Fresno Equip. Had  the old Allied employees philosophy of Customer service.

It was over in Fresno County ,it all turned GREEN !

In Tulare County 50 miles South, it has been different, Linder Equipment is a local old Family I.H. dealer they kept the same dealer service still today and they managed to keep their county RED.Even with the Pressure of a local family J.D. presence with three stores locally. Today the original Widow Mrs. Linder still lives in town and Her Grand Relative Runs the Business .

I've had growers tell me that in the 80's during the Farm crises , Mr. Linder would carry old time customers on parts just to keep them going through rough times and say pay me as you can.

Town still has a tremendous amount of respect for Linder Equipment today as a CaseIH  & Kubota dealer.

I do much of my restoration parts business with them . They have two parts Guys that can tell you the number of a old part before I can read it to them . Talk about service I fax parts request to them and they deliver to my door.

Who do you think I would buy the next new tractor from?

Tony

as far as forums go this one is ''Top Notch''  for treating a new member great

others are either a fan club or a closed fourm were you have to fight to get an answer [mike does not push ropes]

Mike

BTW. thank you all for the great welcome here.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Mike H said:

others are either a fan club or a closed fourm were you have to fight to get an answer [mike does not push ropes]

Mike

Yeah, RPF people are pretty darn good!

I've met many and have not met one that I did not want to be friends with.

Tony

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Mike H said:

Mike

4 hours ago, tony in ca. said:

Yeah, RPF people are pretty darn good!

I've met many and have not met one that I did not want to be friends with.

Tony

This is why I encouraged my father to join, he is not a computer focused type and doesn't need to stumble into some of the others

• Like 1

I grew up on JD with a Case and Massey dealer four miles from home. Growing up in a tiny rural town that could boast 53 dairy farms at one time it was pretty amazing to only have a couple of strictly red farms. This area has been predominantly green as long as I can remember. The junk Case sold and serviced right up the road with great service didn't even have much of a showing here. Now that I have to make the payments and decisions our farm runs old red stuff, and I am by no means a fan of the closest dealer. The JD dealer is actually very accommodating and would get my business if I didn't love 66 series tractors so much.

5 hours ago, Mike H said:

Mike

17 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

This is why I encouraged my father to join, he is not a computer focused type and doesn't need to stumble into some of the others

Gotta give B.J. a lot of credit. A good forum needs at least one good moderator, and B.J. does a great job.

• Like 2

I only joined to get info on the 5088 I bought. It's been a great source of info but to be honest I am in no way a brand loyal tractor buyer. IH had some massive design problems just as all manufacturers have. 

IH and JD were big sellers in our small market but neither could hold a candle to Chamberlain sales here. That's why JD bought them out and shut them down. 

I like to keep an open mind. You can be interested in any brand. They all built some great machines. 

• Like 2

When I was young I had some experience with Cockshutt 40 tractors. They were a good tractor. I also have had experiences with Massey Ferguson almost 60 years ago, 50 years ago, 35 years ago,  and 20 years ago. Without a doubt all were bad experiences. I just don't t know how that company has survived given the issues I have seen with their tractors.

Most tractors have good and bad features.  When I was a kid (70s) the story in the Delta of eastern Arkansas was JD tractors were nice to drive but IH was tougher.  However in time the IH tractors tended to have axle bearing problems and occasionally have gears go bad.  

I believe the main problem with the 06 -86 tractors is they would run when the hydraulic fluid was half empty.  'Everything is working fine, it must have enough fluid'.  They need a sight glass on the side so they are visually low when you walk up to them!  I had someone fill the trans of a 1066 with diesel...  It was same color red as the hyd fluid so it must be the same...  I didn't let them drive a tractor after that...

Thx-Ace

5 hours ago, 5088downunder said:

I only joined to get info on the 5088 I bought. It's been a great source of info but to be honest I am in no way a brand loyal tractor buyer. IH had some massive design problems just as all manufacturers have. 

IH and JD were big sellers in our small market but neither could hold a candle to Chamberlain sales here. That's why JD bought them out and shut them down. 

I like to keep an open mind. You can be interested in any brand. They all built some great machines. 

I think  many of loyalists here ,me included, are here because of how I.H. impacted their early lives.

In my case I.H., in my formative years, influenced my career into farming.  However, I was not so blinded as to not switch to an other brand for my business's well being back in 80's,90's.

I often wonder if I.H. had stayed I.H. would we be here today reminiscing as strongly.

I.H. was a strong presence in early American Ag and developed many machines that others still incorporate in their design  today.

Speaking for myself ,My brand loyalty is about my family, my growing up, a great American tradition, Camaraderie, friendships near & far, and preserving a piece of history.

Tony 

• Like 1
On 2/5/2017 at 8:55 AM, 1967806 said:

I think dealer presence makes a pretty big difference. There are no Agco dealers close to me. Deere is 25 miles either way and IH is 3 miles.

We have two AC tractors and for the most part they are decent machines despite the obvious hard lives they lived long before we acquired them.   They're not bad to work on and make improvements to to modernize them as well but as you say local dealer support is near non existent so getting parts same day is tough. 

The local  company, Butler Machinery, that carries them openly admits they did not want them and Massey Ferguson added to their service line up but had to take them in due to whatever corporate level deal was made to keep any degree of support for them in the area once the other old Agco dealer shut down.  They can get parts but they aren't cheap and they have to ordering most everything which puts the cost in both time and money fairly high on anything  to the point that just finding it myself from a out of state online source and shipping it in is typically as fast and cheaper to do.  

They did surprise me the other week and had a water pump for our AC 8030 though and at a price that was comparable to online sources too.  Mostly they had them in stock because the base engine design the 8030 used was used in countless other things in numerous variants that were part of their normal stock service items lineup.    ^_^

7 hours ago, George 2 said:

When I was young I had some experience with Cockshutt 40 tractors. They were a good tractor. I also have had experiences with Massey Ferguson almost 60 years ago, 50 years ago, 35 years ago,  and 20 years ago. Without a doubt all were bad experiences. I just don't t know how that company has survived given the issues I have seen with their tractors.

How did (does) MF compare with other makes price-wise? We have a local MF dealer, been around a long time, they are top-notch people to deal with and anytime I can give them my business on smaller stuff I do, but even as good as they are it would not make me want to own a MF tractor.  The 35-135, along with the 200 series (230-285) were very popular here, as well as the 383/399, but, having driven a few of them, I have no idea why other than maybe they were cheaper than everything else.

Al

2 hours ago, Super A said:

How did (does) MF compare with other makes price-wise? We have a local MF dealer, been around a long time, they are top-notch people to deal with and anytime I can give them my business on smaller stuff I do, but even as good as they are it would not make me want to own a MF tractor.  The 35-135, along with the 200 series (230-285) were very popular here, as well as the 383/399, but, having driven a few of them, I have no idea why other than maybe they were cheaper than everything else.

Al

Kind of curious myself, they sure seem to have become popular for small land owners and hobby farm types.