Jump to content

Secondary catch on spare tire cable


New Englander

Recommended Posts

Today I was installing a new rear bumper on my 2004 K2500. I decided that removing the spare tire would give me more room and let the lift down near the floor to remove the spare. Well, it would lower a few inches and stop. The cable went slack so I knew that wasn't the problem so I consulted the owners manual and it said that the secondary catch was engaged and gave directions to release it, which didn't work.

Internet to the rescue! I found a youtube video that explained the problem. Even though I knew what was wrong, rusted parts, and had it on a lift, it still took me another 40 minutes to get it to release. Boy, was I pissed off. What if I was in the middle of nowhere with a flat? The spare has never been used on this 13 year old truck so I've been lucky. I would have been pretty mad at GM if I had a perfectly good spare I couldn't get out of the carrier.

I cut the secondary catch off with a wiz wheel. Apparently the engineers at GM don't consider that stuff rusts. I replaced every brake line on that truck with stainless steel. Next are the transmission and fuel lines, all of which should be designed to go the junk yard with the originals still in place.

I meant to add that if you have an older truck and live in the salt area you might want to try lowering the spare.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, New Englander said:

Today I was installing a new rear bumper on my 2004 K2500. I decided that removing the spare tire would give me more room and let the lift down near the floor to remove the spare. Well, it would lower a few inches and stop. The cable went slack so I knew that wasn't the problem so I consulted the owners manual and it said that the secondary catch was engaged and gave directions to release it, which didn't work.

Internet to the rescue! I found a youtube video that explained the problem. Even though I knew what was wrong, rusted parts, and had it on a lift, it still took me another 40 minutes to get it to release. Boy, was I pissed off. What if I was in the middle of nowhere with a flat? The spare has never been used on this 13 year old truck so I've been lucky. I would have been pretty mad at GM if I had a perfectly good spare I couldn't get out of the carrier.

I cut the secondary catch off with a wiz wheel. Apparently the engineers at GM don't consider that stuff rusts. I replaced every brake line on that truck with stainless steel. Next are the transmission and fuel lines, all of which should be designed to go the junk yard with the originals still in place.

I meant to add that if you have an older truck and live in the salt area you might want to try lowering the spare.

That's probably good advice, although you may want to check and see if you still have a spare tire to lower. I have two friends here in the rust belt, both of them have lost their spare due to rusted/broken cables. Their trucks are older than yours, I assume that is why yours had the secondary catch. I'm guessing that if someone was following them when they lost their tire, that individual may have needed a fresh pair of shorts. Neither guy even knew that they lost their spare. They went to use it and it was gone cable rusted. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 12_Guy said:

Neither guy even knew that they lost their spare. They went to use it and it was gone cable rusted. 

My cable looks good but the end with the secondary catch is a rusty mess. You are correct on the reason the secondary is there but it made my spare unusable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Neighbor had one of those Toyota trucks that lost their spare tires. He had a flat, jacked everything up and went back to get the spare was gone. Just a rusted cable hanging. He was pissed. 

Jerry

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Two years ago I was coming home from Wisconsin and a small SUV lost its spare tire right in front of me. The secondary cable was  dragging the tire under the SUV . Untill the tire caught the road.  The back of the SUV went up in the air and the driver rolled the SUV. It was a bad deal 

I have taken all my secondary cables off because of that accident. I don't care if I lose my tire.  I don't want to roll my car beacuse the tire is dragging along under the car 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good ole northeast Ohio rust , keeps ya busy , had to cut the cable on my truck , kaboom , got it.  Every body needs a hacksaw. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 12_Guy said:

Ain't salt great! I hate winter anymore...

Yeah, and our great state that has never used salt in interior Alaska has started due to changes in weather and no budget, and spraying brine

 

idiots

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still think that PA DOT uses more salt than the rest of the country combined.:rolleyes: My old 95 F350 and my "new" 02 had locks to keep the spare in place, what did they need a lock for? In a few years if you have a flat you about need a grinder with a cutting wheel to free the tire from its mount. My spare rides in the bed, sometimes a pain but its accessible! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TomH said:

I still think that PA DOT uses more salt than the rest of the country combined.:rolleyes: My old 95 F350 and my "new" 02 had locks to keep the spare in place, what did they need a lock for? In a few years if you have a flat you about need a grinder with a cutting wheel to free the tire from its mount. My spare rides in the bed, sometimes a pain but its accessible! 

X2. It is much better to work for hours at the shop removing the spare from the moronic storage place while you have the nessisary tools to accomplish the task rather than along the road. I have seen the nut holes so rusted that they are almost useless

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, bitty said:

X2. It is much better to work for hours at the shop removing the spare from the moronic storage place while you have the nessisary tools to accomplish the task rather than along the road. I have seen the nut holes so rusted that they are almost useless

at work they require all spare tires on the "Alaskan Haul Road" (what a joke) to be in the bed. There is no way anyone could remove a tire from under a truck, they are coated in mud and now they use that calcium chloride to hold water and keep the dust down. That stuff makes a thin slime that coats everything, and gets everywhere. When that slime dries it is like a layer of Portland Cement.  miserable stuff.  at every pump station they have pressure washers, we hit the entire paint job with 3500 PSI to clean them up.  rant over

They just stopped requiring that you carry two spares about 10 years ago. less rock chips i guess

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had that exact experience, 60 miles from no-where, in western South Dakota at 4 P.M. on a Sunday afternoon, last summer!!!

Two ranchers, a ranch shop, a side grinder, and two hours later---problem solved.

I told my friendly local GM dealer he should "stuff" his 'free', 200 point inspection that comes with every oil change, and check to see if the spare would come out---

It got pretty quiet for a few minutes. :o

This was a 2012 Suburban.

Mike

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, New Englander said:

What if I was in the middle of nowhere with a flat? The spare has never been used on this 13 year old truck so I've been lucky. I would have been pretty mad at GM if I had a perfectly good spare I couldn't get out of the carrier.

Had exactly that happen. The neighbour was hauling calves for us when the back tire on the truck blew out. I pulled up with my truck and trailer and we figured no problem. Well 2 hours later we finally got the stupid spare tire down. Exactly as you said it would drop a couple inches then that's it. Couldn't get it any lower. Good thing I carry a shops worth of tools in my truck, except a hacksaw, and I had a 5' crowbar that we finally bent the holder enough to slide it through the tire. We were even trying to unbolt it but couldn't get at one bolt. Boy were we not happy after that.

On my truck I always let the spare down once a year and clean the cable and spray it down with the silicone spray. Well I guess I was wasting my time cause she broke free from the truck when I was coming back with the cattle trailer and it went under. Quite a bang! Good thing the guy following was far enough back and he picked it up and asked if we lost a tire lol. At least I still got my spare! It'll stay in the box now!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had been letting mine down at least once a year but I've been slipping a little.  Been close to 2 years now since I last droped it. My biggest gripe was the crapy tools they gave you in the kit. My 07 duramax has these cheap stamped square ends on them that don't fit and stretch when you try to turn them to lower the tire. Had to re weld one once as it actually broke out while I was trying to lower it. Broke the crank handle this spring too. It's a real piece of junk too. Went to use it as a prybar on a real light job. Snaped it right in half where the square goes through it. Carry a crescent wrench with me now in hopes that it will grab enough. I've always got stuff in the box so I hate to have the spare tire in there all the time too. Just might have to one of these days though. On the 94 Dodge diesel that we have we lost the spare tire on it one day. We were turning around in the bush and it must've caught on something. Never felt anything but for some reason we happened to look at it when we got home and it was gone. Went back the next day and sure enough it was laying right where we had turned around. fast forward 6 or 7 years and we had a flat on that same truck back up in the bush in the middle of no where. Had a jack with and some tools but nothing to undo the bracket that we had made to go on the end of the cable to hold the spare tire up and in place. Limped it out of the bush 4 miles to a friends place on the flat and swapped it there in his heated garage. Got luck and he was home that time. No it just sits in the back of the truck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lost the one off my 1996 Dodge about 2008 ,didn't realize it until I started crawling under to put on a new exhaust and realized something was amiss.  Thankfully no one must have gotten injured by it.

Blasted poor system, but of course the car companies are in the business to sell new vehicles not make the old ones last.

On my 1991 Dodge the bolt on the old solid carrier had rusted and had to be cut off so I made up a cradle in the same location that was hinged  at the front and ran a rod thru at the back so it could be tilted down for tire access .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I lost the spare on my '01 chevy sometime between oil changes a few years ago. Hopefully It didn't cause a wreck. I never heard about one and never saw anyone swerve behind me. The only thing there was a frayed cable.  Alan 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for a reminder.... Checked & lowered 3 spares on 2011(wifes), 2012 & 2014 vehicles. 2011 has factory tether that was rusty so used no -seize on the threads, works OK.  2014 had to  find the hide & seek jack & tools under back seat.. Works OK.  2011 , no jack crank when bought it so ordered on online for $20+...works OK. And all spares had air in them. 

On 1998, spare in box waiting to trade in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

dont have a spare in anything, except the wifes car(its inside). i take them out the day i bring a new vehicle home, just a place to catch salt and sand and create rust. my FIL had one that the rim rotted away on, living on a dirt road the whole thing was full to the top and had the shape of the bed bottom molded into it. couldn't have used it if hed needed it anyway. if i go on a trip i throw it in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

dont have a spare in anything, except the wifes car(its inside). i take them out the day i bring a new vehicle home, just a place to catch salt  if i go on a trip i throw it in. 

I suppose if you only drive locally that's OK but there's no way that would work for me.

It is a shame to see the brand new tire sitting on a wheel that's slowly rotting away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought 3 last round and put the spare on as the 4th I sure do miss my michilens 

11 minutes ago, New Englander said:

I suppose if you only drive locally that's OK but there's no way that would work for me.

It is a shame to see the brand new tire sitting on a wheel that's slowly rotting away.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...