Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MTO

Tailgaters

My friend had an exhaust brake on his dodge pickup he had someone following him too closely so he activated the brake and the car behind him swerved like mad but didnt go off the road.

Used to see these a lot and a similar one that said "get off my a$$"

Image result for yosemite sam meme

I've checked my brakes a couple times, never had anyone go off the road but it usually gets them to back off.   The worst ones are when the tailgater starts weaving back and forth like your keeping him from ever getting to where he's going and he  has become bored following you. I am usually doing the speed limit or a couple tics over too!  

Sometimes I wish I could automatically have the tailgate drop and a machine gun rise up and point at them.

6 minutes ago, TomH said:

Sometimes I wish I could automatically have the tailgate drop and a machine gun rise up and point at them.

Lol

Wonder if a guy could flip the rear washer nozzle to spray up and fill rear washer tank with anti freeze?

Anti freeze is nearly impossible to get off glass. He he he...

Might go look at my "Babe Magnet" Aerostar and see as I`m always being tailgated in that powerhouse... 

Tailgating is bad but do you really want to risk your life just to mess with the tailgater. They could easily take you with them if they loose control. Just move over and let karma catch up to them.

I had a friend that worked at a livestock auction barn. I went over to talk to him. He was heading out with the Ford straight truck with a manure spreader bed on it. I rode with him and a guy was tailgating us. He flipped the switch on the dash. Well the tailgater backed way off. Yes the tailgater was going to have to clean his car.

9 minutes ago, hanniedog said:

Tailgating is bad but do you really want to risk your life just to mess with the tailgater. They could easily take you with them if they loose control. Just move over and let karma catch up to them.

How? they are behind you and losing speed as they lose control while you continue to roll away just as the video shows.  Unless you got on your brakes so hard and for so long they rear end you they will never make contact. 

37 minutes ago, MTO said:

Wonder if a guy could flip the rear washer nozzle to spray up and fill rear washer tank with anti freeze?

Anti freeze is nearly impossible to get off glass. He he he...

Might go look at my "Babe Magnet" Aerostar and see as I`m always being tailgated in that powerhouse... 

I'm a Jeep guy, and a lot of the Jeep Cherokee guys I know will do that, though they'll use regular washer fluid. Careful though, some idiot in a BMW road raged on a friend of a friend who did that to him.. I forget the exact details, but I remember it wasn't pretty.

Oh, forgot to add, one of my biker friends carries crushed up porcelain from spark plugs in his vest pocket. If he ever feels like he's being tailgated to the point where his life's in danger, he'll pull out a handful and let it go; it'll shatter a windshield on contact, and it's hard (if not I mpossible) to find among the glass fragments..

A few years ago my wife and I were on the way to the farm in my truck.  Coming out of our small town on a 55 mph road we have to turn off onto a secondary road that goes toward the farm.  The road that we were turning off of has a curve in it right where the secondary road comes to it.  It was wintertime and the berms were covered with snow and ice.  I put my turn signal on a 1/4 mile in advance and started to slow down.  Some guy in a Chevy cavalier who was already tailgating decided that he was in too much of a hurry to wait for us to turn into the other road.  So he attempted to pass on the right on the shoulder almost next to me just as I turned into the road.  Unfortunately for him he couldn't bring the car back onto the road quick enough due to being in the snow on the berm.  As I was completing my turn I looked over my right shoulder and saw him careening towards the guardrail along the edge of the road.  The car glanced off it on the passenger side and sent it back into the road with pieces of plastic flying everywhere.  He got it under control then and rolled to a stop.  I just kept right on going.  The wife wondered if I was going to stop and make sure everything was good.  I said "No way, No how"!  "My luck he'll try to pin it on me because of his own ignorance".  We came back through an hour later and there was no evidence other than the tire marks in the snow and some plastic shrapnel on the berm.

As a plow truck driver the ones that burn me are those that REFUSE to turn on their headlights when it's grey out and snowing.  Usually it's those that have a grey or white car!  It's really fun when you are cleaning intersections and don't see them because of this.

1 hour ago, hanniedog said:

if I hit my brakes or touch them to excite brake lights and he crashes, that is HIS doing. 

First rule of driving... keep 20 ft per 10 mph of speed. 

I believe in God, not karma. 

My act of trying to get him off my a$$ is defensive driving. 

I`m sorry hanniedog but I`m not with you on this one. 

My sister is a tailgater and I won`t ride with her anymore as her argument is she has never hit anyone. 

yet...

But I do think the coolant spray is a good idea. 

My favorite tailgater story. A few years back i bought some bred heifers about an hour away. As with anything else i seem to do i could barely fit all the heifers in the trailer but once they all got turned sideways they seemed to fit comfortably enough. Started for home with my overloaded trailer taking it nice and easy. Of course this little car come up on my backdoor riding my butt looking to get around me. I just happened to loom in the mirror as one of the girls relieved her bowels out between the slats of the trailer. As most know after getting cattle worked up a bit they get a little loose in the belly. Well, she let out a stream of hot cream unobstructed by the trailer. As the creamy green caught the wind it instantly turned to a fine green mist and drenched the car behind me. Best laugh i've had in years as he blew by me with his wipers on high!!!

1 minute ago, new guy said:

My favorite tailgater story. A few years back i bought some bred heifers about an hour away. As with anything else i seem to do i could barely fit all the heifers in the trailer but once they all got turned sideways they seemed to fit comfortably enough. Started for home with my overloaded trailer taking it nice and easy. Of course this little car come up on my backdoor riding my butt looking to get around me. I just happened to loom in the mirror as one of the girls relieved her bowels out between the slats of the trailer. As most know after getting cattle worked up a bit they get a little loose in the belly. Well, she let out a stream of hot cream unobstructed by the trailer. As the creamy green caught the wind it instantly turned to a fine green mist and drenched the car behind me. Best laugh i've had in years as he blew by me with his wipers on high!!!

that was a $hitty thing to do...

I'm sure all you guys obeying the speed limit obey the signs and laws that say, "Slower traffic keep Right" Dontcha!    My motto is "LEAD, FOLLOW, BUT GET THE &$%@?$ OUTTA MY WAY!"

I actually had a guy try to ram me in the back of my little car 3-4 months ago with his big new suv when I was doing 10-15 over the limit.  Would have hit me but swerved into the median at the last second and passed me in the weeds. I was in the left lane passing a string of semi's.  Talk about being in a real hurry!

1 hour ago, Ihcubguy said:

A few years ago my wife and I were on the way to the farm in my truck.  Coming out of our small town on a 55 mph road we have to turn off onto a secondary road that goes toward the farm.  The road that we were turning off of has a curve in it right where the secondary road comes to it.  It was wintertime and the berms were covered with snow and ice.  I put my turn signal on a 1/4 mile in advance and started to slow down.  Some guy in a Chevy cavalier who was already tailgating decided that he was in too much of a hurry to wait for us to turn into the other road.  So he attempted to pass on the right on the shoulder almost next to me just as I turned into the road.  Unfortunately for him he couldn't bring the car back onto the road quick enough due to being in the snow on the berm.  As I was completing my turn I looked over my right shoulder and saw him careening towards the guardrail along the edge of the road.  The car glanced off it on the passenger side and sent it back into the road with pieces of plastic flying everywhere.  He got it under control then and rolled to a stop.  I just kept right on going.  The wife wondered if I was going to stop and make sure everything was good.  I said "No way, No how"!  "My luck he'll try to pin it on me because of his own ignorance".  We came back through an hour later and there was no evidence other than the tire marks in the snow and some plastic shrapnel on the berm.

I and my niece had a similar experience about 7 - 8 years ago with a guy not paying attention to what's going on in front of him just outside home.

We were coming back from town and a contractor's service pickup slowed down to make a right hand turn into the back then just being built housing development that is adjacent to our family's property.  

The guy behind me must have been half asleep or whatever but I slowed down behind the pickup as he made the turn and looked in my mirror to see this car was still coming up on us at highway speed.   I told my niece to hold on because we are going it get hit but the car managed to move off to the right side shoulder just far enough to miss us but catch the ditch and get pulled in far enough to  jump the approach and plow into the pickup ahead of us just as it got of the main highway and 90 degrees to the main road pushing it almost all the way across the approach.     

1 hour ago, Ihcubguy said:

the ones that burn me are those that REFUSE to turn on their headlights when it's grey out and snowing

Concur!!!!!!!!!!!!

best, randy

2 hours ago, MTO said:

if I hit my brakes or touch them to excite brake lights and he crashes, that is HIS doing. 

First rule of driving... keep 20 ft per 10 mph of speed. 

I believe in God, not karma. 

My act of trying to get him off my a$$ is defensive driving. 

I`m sorry hanniedog but I`m not with you on this one. 

My sister is a tailgater and I won`t ride with her anymore as her argument is she has never hit anyone. 

yet...

Agree with you on all points.

I've spent too many hours watching youtube videos of tailgating/brake checking that escalates into road rage with physical and vehicular violence. Lucky we don't see much of that kind of driving out here on 2 lane blacktop. When somebody catches up to me theres usually plenty of room for them to pull out and pass. And I rarely catch up to anybody doing the speed limit. 

I wonder how it would've went if someone was tailgating when the spare tire broke free from under my truck and went under the cattle trailer. That would make them think twice about driving too close.

7 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I'm sure all you guys obeying the speed limit obey the signs and laws that say, "Slower traffic keep Right" Dontcha!    My motto is "LEAD, FOLLOW, BUT GET THE &$%@?$ OUTTA MY WAY!"

I actually had a guy try to ram me in the back of my little car 3-4 months ago with his big new suv when I was doing 10-15 over the limit.  Would have hit me but swerved into the median at the last second and passed me in the weeds. I was in the left lane passing a string of semi's.  Talk about being in a real hurry!

LOL most of the tailgater problems I've experienced have been on 2 lane roads and it's illegal to drive on the shoulder. My dive goes onto a state highway. I signal far enough out that if the person behind me is paying attention there should be no problem. Right there is also a no passing zone. I always hope that a tailgater behind me has oncoming traffic as I slow down to turn right into the drive. No oncoming traffic and most will pass anyway. But with traffic I'll get down to about 5MPH with oncoming traffic before I turn. Now when I turn on my directional and they back off I'll pull over on the shoulder and let em by. I could really care less about your motto. You ain't my boss! Worst offenders here are the grain haulers. Some of them are about the most inconsiderate drivers I've ever seen. Funny thing. This highway was 55 for many years. Most criminally minded people drove 60. Now they, the state, in a 70 mile stretch recorded about 1 or 2 deaths a year. Last year they raise it to 60MPH. They had 8 deaths in less than a month on that stretch because every idiot and their brother decided they could run 65. Some curves and hills. Lot of drives onto the road. Several areas are not too short at the higher speeds (car going 60 getting passed by someone speeding) for the current passing zones. 

Funniest thing I ever saw on the highway was going down the interstate at the posted speed limit. State trooper swings out to pass, gets right beside me, waves and sets there matching me at the posted limit. He stayed beside me for almost 50 miles. You should have seen the line of cars and trucks behind us when I pulled off to get gas. And all of them afraid to pass the cop!

Rick

9 hours ago, oldtanker said:

Worst offenders here are the grain haulers. Some of them are about the most inconsiderate drivers I've ever seen.

About 6 -7 years ago when o drove truck in our oil fields there was an epidemic of bad truck drivers who fit that description of yours.#1 offenders were the guys that hauled water on a per BBL pay rates and the gravel truck guys.

No amount of complaints and reporting them to their parent companies did any good.  Every report was played off as being unfounded and or made up. Then the first decent dash cams came out and I guess a lot people in the oil fields started carrying them and using them to catch the worst drivers in action by sending the videos to the parent companies and local authorities as proof. 

In the company I drove for at least half a dozen of the water truck drivers for got fired over video proof backed complaints and in the company meeting about it they mentioned  one or two even lost their licences and got hit with some pretty steep fines from law enforcement as well.   

One of our company's worst offending gung ho water haulers made close to $1000 a day on some short run jobs.  He also got caught running 90+ in a 55 zone and something like 18,000 pounds overloaded by a state patrol. (We knew he did it all the time and even complained  to management ourselves but we're told it wasn't true and we were just jealous.)   As we were told, in the company meeting about speeding and video proofs being sent in, he lost his job, license and got hit with a $20,000+ fine as well.  Some of our other bad offenders squealed like pigs that that was unfair but the rest of us decent drivers just grinned and smiled. That A-hole was off the roads and we were happy about it.  

Shortly after that the company stopped doing per BBL commission water hauling contracts and most every truck that went in the shop came out with the speed governors turned down to 63 MPH (With the engine rev limiters turned off though.  Cost them a bunch of engines before that re programming oversight  was taken seriously.)  :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, tcmtech said:

About 6 -7 years ago when o drove truck in our oil fields there was an epidemic of bad truck drivers who fit that description of yours.#1 offenders were the guys that hauled water on a per BBL pay rates and the gravel truck guys.

No amount of complaints and reporting them to their parent companies did any good.  Every report was played off as being unfounded and or made up. Then the first decent dash cams came out and I guess a lot people in the oil fields started carrying them and using them to catch the worst drivers in action by sending the videos to the parent companies and local authorities as proof. 

In the company I drove for at least half a dozen of the water truck drivers for got fired over video proof backed complaints and in the company meeting about it they mentioned  one or two even lost their licences and got hit with some pretty steep fines from law enforcement as well.   

One of our company's worst offending gung ho water haulers made close to $1000 a day on some short run jobs.  He also got caught running 90+ in a 55 zone and something like 18,000 pounds overloaded by a state patrol. (We knew he did it all the time and even complained  to management ourselves but we're told it wasn't true and we were just jealous.)   As we were told, in the company meeting about speeding and video proofs being sent in, he lost his job, license and got hit with a $20,000+ fine as well.  Some of our other bad offenders squealed like pigs that that was unfair but the rest of us decent drivers just grinned and smiled. That A-hole was off the roads and we were happy about it.  

Shortly after that the company stopped doing per BBL commission water hauling contracts and most every truck that went in the shop came out with the speed governors turned down to 63 MPH (With the engine rev limiters turned off though.  Cost them a bunch of engines before that re programming oversight  was taken seriously.)  :rolleyes:

Supposedly here when Shell was drilling if you we're caught doing more than 5 mph below the speed limit your company could be canned. The rock trucks would stop and let us out with farm equipment to go before them. They were the most courteous drivers I have ever seen