Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1snappyIH

Old IH Truck Photos and stories

Figure 5: International Metro-Mite, introduced 1959 (Submitted by Marty Blessing)

The International Harvester Metro Van was produced from 1938 until 1975. It was originally based on the 1937-40 D-Series trucks. The body was built by the Metropolitan Body Company in Bridgeport, Connecticut, a company which International Harvester would later purchase. One of the first models built was sold to the Czechoslovakian Army and destroyed by the Nazis during World War II. The original design was by Raymond Loewy, of Studebaker and Coke bottle fame.

Metro-Mite.jpg

Figure 6: Outside the TDTC offices stands a small non-descript building.  What was it used for???

mystery building.jpg

Figure 7: The answer to Fig. 6 - that building was the spin stand test chamber.  An engine drove rotating components at high rpm until they burst due to centrifugal forces.  The heavy steel lid sealed the test chamber in the floor.  (Submitted by Marty Blessing)

spin stand test chamber.jpg

Figure 8: Truck on the twist course - axels at full displacement, but still OK?

Twist course.jpg

Figure 9: Truck on the twist course - not OK!

Too much twist course.jpg

Figure 10: There was a great deal of interest in the use of gas turbine engines in cars and trucks during the 1960s. The TurboStar was International's venture into gas turbine propulsion.

Turbostar.jpg

12 hours ago, 1snappyIH said:

I believe "TDTC" stands for Truck Department Technical Center, but that's just a guess.  

Truck Division Technical Center.

Thanks Howard_P   I did see that on the front of their building.

On December 31, 2016 at 6:37 PM, 1snappyIH said:

Figure 3: Company plane - photo believed to have been taken at Baer Field (Submitted by Pat Murphy/Greg Sutter)

Company Plane.jpg

I have picture of my dad and grandfather standing in front that plane with a group of other farmers that were headed to moline for tour of farmall plant. IH took a bunch of farmers that had all purchased the new 60 series tractors on this trip. Somewhere around 1960. 

Neat to say the least.  You should share your picture and story.