Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1snappyIH

Old IH Truck Photos and stories

It Happened Here: A Snapshot of Fort Wayne

As we plan and prepare for the TDTC Family Open House, I am continually reminded of this facility’s rich heritage.  In designing a poster for the event, Corey Wilson compiled a number of pictures – past to present – that highlight this heritage and encompasses the broad array of activities that have taken place in this facility.  (Didn’t Corey do a GREAT job on the poster?)  I thought it appropriate this week to share a sampling of the historic pictures Corey was able to assemble.  These snapshots illustrate past design, test and development activity that occurred here and at the test track.  It was not easy to pare the selection down to these few gems!  If these photos stir any past memories, I would love to hear from you.

pictures didn't copy so will try again.  enjoy...

FW1.jpg

FW2.jpg

UHaul.png

FW3.jpg

FW4.jpg

FW5.jpg

FW6.jpg

FW10.jpg

FW9.jpg

FW7.jpg

34 minutes ago, 1snappyIH said:

It Happened Here: A Snapshot of Fort Wayne

As we plan and prepare for the TDTC Family Open House, I am continually reminded of this facility’s rich heritage.  In designing a poster for the event, Corey Wilson compiled a number of pictures – past to present – that highlight this heritage and encompasses the broad array of activities that have taken place in this facility.  (Didn’t Corey do a GREAT job on the poster?)  I thought it appropriate this week to share a sampling of the historic pictures Corey was able to assemble.  These snapshots illustrate past design, test and development activity that occurred here and at the test track.  It was not easy to pare the selection down to these few gems!  If these photos stir any past memories, I would love to hear from you.

A dear friend of mine who was the tooling manager for IH Truck and then Navistar shared these with me.  I will try to post all for you to enjoy as well.

thanks for the great pictures. We live about 20 miles east of Ft. Wayne and had many family and neighbors that used to work at the truck plant.

I look forward to seeing more, if possible.

Mark

It Happened Here: Gasoline Engine Development

Ft. Wayne Engineering’s Gas Engine Legacy

One of our almost-forgotten TDTC engineering legacies was the extensive gasoline engine development and testing done at TDTC.  Where the Military Group now has their offices was once where the Engine Group performed gasoline engine design and development.  A series of three new V-8 engines was introduced in 1956, and three new small V-8s were introduced in 1959.  LPG engines were sold as early as 1952.  In 1958, a 4-cylinder, economy engine was produced to power the Metro-Mite delivery van.  The TDTC shops machined engine parts and assembled engines.  Ever-increasing emissions requirements through the late 1970’s and the fuel economy advantage of the diesel engine brought an end to International’s gasoline engines.  I worked in the Engine test area as a co-op student in the late 1970’s.  Here are some recollections and photos from a phase of Truck Engineering that is now long gone:

Engine Testing

The red tile floor corridor sported a number of engine test cells with fuel, exhaust and cooling hookups.  An engine running under full load had a cherry red glowing exhaust system.  The dyno control stands were originally in the test cells, but later, partition walls were added to give the test engineers a safer and quieter environment.  The test cells had a Cardox carbon dioxide fire suppression system, which would whistle when activated, allowing a little time to scramble and evacuate before the room was flooded with CO2 - which would kill both you and the fire.  Also located in the hallway with the engine test cells was a cylinder head flow test chamber.  This test rig had a large electric motor and vacuum pump behind it to draw air through the test stand.  The vacuum pump also powered a vacuum forming unit in the attic, where sheets of plastic were heated and drawn by vacuum over a mold to make scale cab test models used for photo-elastic stress analysis.

Vehicle Emissions Lab

Building 3, now the High Bay and Industrial Design areas, was originally constructed as the Vehicle Emissions Lab (VEL) to meet gas engine requirements  The area under the shed roof had vehicle dynamometers, where Scouts and Travelalls would run emissions programs.   Inside the main part of the building was an evaporative shed used to check compliance to evaporative emissions standards, and a carburetor flow stand used to develop and check the air/fuel ratios of the Carter and Holley carburetors used back then.   Both Carter and Holley had representatives that helped with the development.

Figure 1: Opening of the Vehicle Emissions Lab with a “fabulous array of tests”

newspaper.jpg

Figure 2: Travelalls running on emissions dynos outside the Vehicle Emissions Lab

travells running on emission dynos.jpg

Figure 3: Evaporative emissions test shed

evaporative emission test shed.jpg

Figure 4: Engine dyno test cell

engine dyno test cell.jpg

Figure 5: Vacuum forming plastic cab models (in attic above engine test area)

vacuum forming plastic cab models.jpg

Figure 6: Carburetor development

Carburetor development.jpg

Thank You for posting ,  Super Pictures !!!     What does TDTC stand for ?

I believe "TDTC" stands for Truck Department Technical Center, but that's just a guess.  These stories and pictures were provided me by a dear friend who used to work for IH and then Navistar, retiring a couple years back.  He wished not to relocate from Fort Wayne, IN to the Navistar World Headquarters in Lisle, IL (Chicago suburb)

more photos to come...

It Happened Here: Potpourri

Merriam-Webster defines potpourri as “a miscellaneous collection.”  Due to the large number of miscellaneous photos, memories and recollections I’ve received – few meaty enough to comprise an entire article, but all too good not to share – I’ve decided to offer a potpourri of things that happened here.

Figure 1: Snapshot from the 1961 Open House, an event that preceded our TDTC Family Open House by 50 years! (Submitted by Marty Blessing)

1961 Open House.jpg

Figure 2: Front view of TDTC upon completion of the building - circa 1952.  We were under the "Harvester" brand at that time (Submitted by Pat Murphy)

TDTC building upon completion - 1952.jpg

Figure 3: Company plane - photo believed to have been taken at Baer Field (Submitted by Pat Murphy/Greg Sutter)

Company Plane.jpg

Figure 4: International Conco (Transtar 4100).  CONventionalCabOver, designed for fleet use in the 1970's. 

The cab didn’t tilt, but the cropped hood would open.  Service mechanics allegedly hated it. (Submitted by Marty Blessing)

Conco (Transtar 4100).jpg