Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1951 international L-110 diesel project

Hi guys, I'm working on a 1951 international L-110 2wd. I'm in the process of putting a 236 diesel in it. I have the bell housing bolted up to the 236, lower 4 bolts are lined up good along with dowel pins, on the top two bolt holes I have to do a little slotting on bell housing. Centerline of crank looks to be in the same place as the 220 I pulled out of the pickup. Making mounts shouldn't be to difficult from rough measurements. But what I am wondering is what starter would work to spin it over? Also I could not find a clutch disc, Napa is the last resort to send it in to get rebuilt, I may have to go that route. Any help will be appreciated, will post pictures asap. Thanks 

image.jpeg

Having a hard time getting the pictures to upload, but here is a couple.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Perfect, Thank you, It looks like they do have a clutch kit, I think I will go that route. Now if someone can help me with the starter issue I'll be set.  :) 

Won't the truck starter work? The later 264's had a 12v system with a starter that should replace the 6v one when it fries.

Thanks for the reply, I don't think that it will spin the diesel over in the winter, I would like to be able to use it a little in the winter if possible, someone said that a Massey 95 starter might be close to working but I'm not sure how I would mount it. Thanks

I just put gas starter on, the starter looks to be to far away from ring gear, lines up good but looks like starter needs to be brought in toward the motor more so teeth contact fully, I'm not sure if the starter is right for the pickup or something the previous owner put on to try to make work, the pickup hasn't run since the 70's

On 12/17/2016 at 2:38 PM, Kevingweq said:

Good company to deal with. 

I ordered the clutch kit yesterday, does anyone know what they used for a starter from factory or does anyone have a part number? Thanks

what flywheel application are you using?  a tractor flywheel will have the ring gear on the wrong end  the front cover looks like 460 Farmall application you may need to find a 2 piece clutch housing from a late 50 -60  BD or BGD 6cylinder truck than you can go with a 3 bolt mount starter and maybe a flywheel from a 715 combine

Ok, I'm currently using the original flywheel and bell housing from the pickup, I will look around and see if I can find one nearby. What starter could I use with that set up? Thanks

Hey guys just a update, my son made an adapter for a 7.3 starter and the crank was a 1/8th inch lower then the gas, so we fixed that and maybe today it'll be running. Thanks 

If that doesn't work, maybe check to make sure the bendix in the starter is the right one, that it has the right number of teeth.

My TD9 had a starter that wasn't engaging when I first got it, I could see the bendix was not reaching far enough into the ring gear. I did some checking and found out the correct bendix for the TD9 had 1 more tooth. I replaced it with the right one, and it works just fine now.  

Hi guys, Sorry for not updating sooner, but it is running and driving, I have about 120 miles on it. I put a turbo kit on that we had laying around and it seems to run nice, I can run about 62 mph on the highway. Far from done but it's a start. Thanks for everyone's help

Let's see more pictures or a video!

Will get pictures soon, not sure if I can get a video to upload on here but will sure give it a shot.

Can put video on YouTube & link from here?

Yea will have to get a video on YouTube and post link, I got a couple pictures to post. 

Uncle Jim would've loved your setup on Gramp's '51 L 3/4Ton. Cool :D

:)  Way cool ,    Like the exhaust !

The bolts are pretty rusty holding the pipe on the turbo, would like to turn it down and have exhaust come out in front of rear tires so I can put the hood on but this will do for now! It wasn't to hard of a swap, I just did a 6.9 diesel in a 72 f250 and that wasn't a whole lot easier then this project, sorry I haven't gotten the video on YouTube yet hopefully soon! 

Well it's a crappy snowy day here in Huron, SD. But it is suppose to warm up end of next week to get a video, I want to run a boost gauge, do you guys think a oil pressure gauge and a electric sending unit out of a 403 combine would work? 

As long as the gauge isn't "dampened"

lot of gauges are dampened to react slower so they are not so quick reacting but for a boost gauge you won't want that I wouldn't think.