DTI466 Intercooler Water Plumbing

Sask466

Could anyone send me pictures of how the water to air intercooler is plumbed in on a 466?  I am thinking about mounting a remote intercooler, but I can't seem to find where the factory water inlet/outlet ports are.  I know the 1680's and 5488's had them, but I am not sure if the trucks had provisions for plumbing?   The motor is a 1986 468 block in a truck application.  

I tried the forum search here, as well as google and the CIH online parts viewer, and the pictures/diagramed are rather elusive.

That application was used on trucks for the California market to increase HP without burning more fuel , You could look up that info at any Truck dealer under  California engines I believe, I have one in a COE if u need Pics I will send some . I get home next week 

I would love some pictures.  I tried the CIH parts site, but I can't seem to find the right drawing, despite trying a fair bit.  I think there may be small changes between the front covers/Tstat housings between the trucks and tractors.

Any pictures would be greatly appreciated!

I walked out to my 4386 and took these.  If you want bigger versions, send me a PM with your Email. 

The top pipe off the innercooler goes across the front to the special top front inlet on the thermostat housing (little brass elbow dead center on the first picture).  The bottom pipe swings down the left side of the block to the fitting just behind the oil pressure sender as shown.  IIRC, normally there is just a elbow into the block, I added the T and street L to make an easy block drain.

This motor (and tractor) is for sale....just sayin!

IMG_0569S.jpg

IMG_0572S.jpg

IMG_0573S.jpg

IMG_0574S.jpg

OH, and FYI--Even knowing exactly what to look for, I can't find it on CIH Parts either....the intercooler is not shown in either the 4386 OR the DTI-466 pages.   

I did find the top breather kit. somebody else asked about...under "service kits".

35 minutes ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

OH, and FYI--Even knowing exactly what to look for, I can't find it on CIH Parts either....the intercooler is not shown in either the 4386 OR the DTI-466 pages.   

I did find the top breather kit. somebody else asked about...under "service kits".

The parts diagrams are on the Case IH web site,   search the 466 block,  go to the DTI 466C category,  it will show every part for that setup.  Go to page 2 if the parts breakdown and look for the intercooler parts.

Here is the 5488 and the 4386 setup

http://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr58138ar1235517

http://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr58138ar1235516

Matt

So on the 4386 pics and schematic, it looks like:

1.  First, water flows from the side of the block to the intercooler.  

2.  Then through the intercooler

3. Leaving the intercooler, flowing to the top of the TSTAT housing.

Is it correct to say that the coolant then flows to the top of the TSTAT housing, out to the top of the radiator?   

It looks like the fitting on the TSTAT housing is in the same area that the coolant bypass line runs into, so this must be on the downstream side of the thermostat (radiator side)?  I am not sure if this question makes sense, it's sort of hard to describe.

If I am correct, the water pump sucks directly from the bottom radiator hose...no other item is connected on the suction side.  It pushes the water into the block, so everything from there on is "pressure side".  Water flow thru the block is controlled by the thermostat on the outlet side.  The Intercooler, filter, cab heater core, etc, get water from the block, that then returns back into top radiator "return" hose at the thermostat housing.     Ya know, I never really thought about this before....

Yeah, without a coolant flow diagram, I have been left scratching my head!  I have pondered this a long time and I think I agree with your statement above as it relates to a the older 466 intercooler connections (as on a 4386)

Also, if you look at the intercooler connections on the water pump of the later 466C's, it gets even more confusing, as the connections are about 3" apart on the water pump.  To my untrained eyes, it's almost the same spot!

http://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr58138ar1235517

Most likely one goes to a pressure port on the Water pump, just before the coolant enters the block.  The other -- probably ports to the "suction" side inside the water pump.  Or maybe goes across to the thermostat like on the 43?

Archived