Installing Hyd Clutch Assist

IHC826

I'm in the process of restoring a 1968 farmall 1256. The guy that I purchased it from had recently installed an new heavy duty clutch. The heavy duty part sounded great in theory but I've found its not so practical for use. I'm a young guy and I like to think that I'm in decent shape and after using the tractor for a long period of time I can't even hold the clutch in for more than a few second without my leg beginning to shake from the strain. Im about to start painting the tractor so I decided now is the time to add a hyd assist if i can find one. My question is will a hyd assist from a 66 series work on this tractor or do I need to find a certain one? Any modifications that need to be made to make it fit or how hard is it to install. I've never dealt with these before as the other tractors that I've had in the past were 706/826/856 that didn't have or need one. Any advice appreciated.

Here's some pics of the tractor if anyone is interested. She was pretty rough when I found her but she was running and had just had a decent amount of work done to her. I've spent the last year finding and adding parts as well as cleaning it up. Beginning to paint parts of it now but I'll wait to share those pics until its done. I can't decide whether to restore it with the duals that are on it in the pics or put the new firestones on it that I have in the corner. 

1256-2.jpg

1256-3.jpg

Looks sharp.  I think I remember Tony from Ca putting a hyd assist on his 1456 goldie.  He will probably chime in once he sees this.  I like the look of Firestones but a restoration with duals always catches a person's eye.  If it is for show I would do Firestones, if it is for go I would leave the duals.  Depends on your end use intentions.  In the end it falls on whatever you like anyhow. ;)

Yes, you can put hydraulic clutch assist on it pretty easy.  Make sure you get all the parts, including the pressure and return lines, and even including the clutch pedal on some...

Installation is the easy part....paying for the clutch assist assembly is the hard part.  IF you could find them they used to run about $350...last one I saw was up around $700, though.

Travis

There are two different return line set ups.One uses a fitting in place of a bolt in the reverse gear cover and the other is an elbow that goes in lower on the housing.56's will not be drilled and tapped for the lower fitting unless the ta housing has been replaced.

Here is page from 56 series tractor parts catalog. 

Years ago I bought a used clutch booster from a salvage yard and installed it on 756 as it was tractor most used on the farm. Got another one later for the 856.  Later when I bought the 1456 I moved the booster from 856 to 1456. The 1456 had a HARD clutch. The first kit I bought had a clutch pedal with it. The pedal was taller than the standard pedal and I did not like it, so I drilled a hole in the standard pedal at the same place the clutch push rod was located in the tall pedal. Worked perfectly. I like clutch pedals on all three tractors to "fit" me the same. 

scan0001 (Medium).jpg

I had an old 806 that I did some modifications to, sold it years ago. I never knew about the hydraulic clutch assist mentioned above, but I did build my own contraption from an idea I seen in a Farm Show paper. It worked OK for me.

Flash back...  http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/topic/24049-left-knee-get-sore/

I have done two this year

Both units came from 1066's

I bought my first unit complete & rebuilt from Bates Corp. it went on the 1456. Blasted it & painted it ,looks like it was always there and works Great !

The second unit I purchased from Nick Graves Salvage yard as is. We rebuilt cylinder and it went on 806 that I am restoring. On  our 806 we had to shorten item #2 on parts book above , to bring it closer to frame. Have not started tractor yet to see how it works.

If you have K&m steps you'll need #10 tube replaced with hydraulic hose to replace steel line.

Also when you get the clutch peddle have it re- bushed because I can assure you that you will have a oblong wear on peddle and it will be more sloppy side play then you like . Most are pretty wore. By installing nice tight brass bushing hopefully you do not have to change the clutch shaft pin. Not they are different sizes but because they are sloppy wore.

Units are not cheap because they are sought after. JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET ALL THE COMPONENTS THAT GO WITH THE UNIT.

Believe me, it will make your project go much better.

tony

5 hours ago, JD Humm said:

I put a hydraulic clutch assist on dad's 1256 in the late 70's, it was available as a kit from IH at the time, sure helped the left leg a lot.

You are so right, Jere.

The Goldie I bought from Danny has a very heavy clutch in it and just loading on & off trailer was leg numbing.

Its so nice now .

Tony

10 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

The lines are NLA from CASEIH so make sure you get them. Tried to buy a new last summer and couldn't get one for me.

I saw a clutch assist unit somewhere once that someone had used  hydraulic hose instead of a steel line for at least one of the lines. A full service hydraulics supply shop could fabricate any steel lines needed.

34 minutes ago, 7and8and1456 said:

I saw a clutch assist unit somewhere once that someone had used  hydraulic hose instead of a steel line for at least one of the lines. A full service hydraulics supply shop could fabricate any steel lines needed.

Art or 656hydro ? On here could make the tubes if he had a set of lines for patterns

Archived